Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Sunset Photos

krason

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sunset Photos

Hi Gang,

I'm about 2 months into my D7000. Operating in mostly aperture priority mode.

So yesterday, I was down in Santa Cruz. Gorgeous sunset. I took oodles of shots.
Really didn't care for them. Curious if anyone had any insights into what I could have
done better.

I should restate that, I think these are good shots, I'd like to take great shots. :-)

Maybe it's just framing. But I'm wondering if I should have exposed differently.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Nikon D7000 - Nikon 18-200 VRII - 90mm - ISO 800 - 1/320s - F/14 - +0.3EV

Nikon D7000 - Nikon 18-200 VRII - 80mm - ISO 800 - 1/200s - F/14 - +0.3EV

Nikon D7000 - Nikon 18-200 VRII - 150mm - ISO 800 - 1/250s - F/14 - +0.3EV

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Sunset Photos

Kevin,
Sunsets are always harder to photograph than appreciate in the moment.
The entire sensory experience and often wide vistas are condensed in the frame. Colors tend to get muted unless you work the color temp (try shade), and some context is often needed to add interest and give depth and dimension.
While the first has some foreground subject, it has no special appeal beyond what it might mean to you.
The second is like many images I have tried to make work. And failed. In addition to the muted color range there just isnt enough interest. Working on post-processing I'd try to intensify the color and light reflected in the water and you do have a bit of glow from the wet sand. But its all just too little in a large sea.
Third works best, for all the reasons why the other two dont. Colors are warmer. The figure on the beach implies a story, provides a nice silhouette, and adds depth. The foreground reflections and light in the water add another layer of interest and depth and play on the repeating elements of bands of color and light.
Image could be improved a variety of ways. Horizon needs to be straightened. Lens flare in the foreground should be removed, along with the whitish objects. Shooting from an angle that gave more height, and therefore separation of the person from the water would help. If you could have shot to get a bit more separation of the log(?) shadow on the left from the water you'd have a more vibrant, less murky foreground.
Scott

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:21 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Sunset Photos

Exposure's good. Processing is fine. I'd suggest working of foreground and finding meaning beyond the sunset, unless it's ALL about the sunset. If it's all about the sunset, the foreground ought not try to grab the show.

"Bad foreground! No cookie!"

Nov 21, 2011 at 01:44 AM
used2bfast

p.1 #4 · Sunset Photos

sbeme wrote:
Kevin,
Sunsets are always harder to photograph than appreciate in the moment.
The entire sensory experience and often wide vistas are condensed in the frame. Colors tend to get muted unless you work the color temp (try shade), and some context is often needed to add interest and give depth and dimension.
While the first has some foreground subject, it has no special appeal beyond what it might mean to you.
The second is like many images I have tried to make work. And failed. In addition to the muted color range there just isnt enough interest. Working on post-processing I'd try to intensify
...Show more

Sorry, newbie question.. Not to high jack the thread, but, what is "Lens Flare"? Thanks

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Sunset Photos

Here's a description, rather than the technical answer, which others could address better.
Bright light enters the lens and its elements producing a usually unwanted feature called "lens flare". This often shows up as a colored, low contrast shape of line of shapes related to the lens blades. Occasionally it adds to an image (see my Tybee Sunrise shot on this forum) but more often detracts.
In the third image in the lower foreground center is a soft, orange/red circular shape produced by lens flare.

Welcome to the forum. Newbies and all. We all were and most of us love to teach!
Scott

Nov 21, 2011 at 02:41 PM
used2bfast

p.1 #6 · Sunset Photos

Thank you very much! I will look at your pic tonight (still at work)..

Nov 21, 2011 at 03:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Sunset Photos

Straightened the horizon a touch and a crop to change the composition.

Nov 21, 2011 at 04:38 PM
krason

p.1 #8 · Sunset Photos

Thank you all for the great feedback.

Rustybug, I really love the clean up you did with my 3rd image. It handled the lens flare and really brings out the emotion I was going for.

Thanks,

Kevin

Nov 21, 2011 at 05:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password