Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2011 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

Interesting thread!

Would the same comments apply to a crop camera....both 1.6 and 1.3?

Nov 22, 2011 at 08:21 PM
jrsamples

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

CVickery wrote:
It's difficult to know what's best for someone else but I've settled on the Conurus converted Contax N 50/1.4 (tried the EF 50/1.4, 50/1.8 I and II, 50/1.2L,and a variety of MF 50's)

Ditto... I was going to say the exact same thing except I also did the Sigma 50 1.4. Love my N 50. The close second or even tied for first is the Sigma if you can get an accurate copy.

Nov 22, 2011 at 09:07 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

mMontag wrote:
Some of the 55/1.2 Asph also have thorium glass - I had one and have viewed several internet responses stating the same - the yellow can be cleared by long duration UV light exposure through the glass.

Thanks for the info. Mine is dated from 1977~1978 and it doesn't exhibit any yellow tone. Interestingly, the lens coating do have golden cast.

Edited on Nov 22, 2011 at 09:26 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2011 at 09:26 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

Pop Photo in 1999 decided that the Contax 50/1.4 Planar was the best.

Nov 22, 2011 at 09:26 PM
roschko

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

hi,

Just bought a Leica Summilux 50mm 1.4 from 1982 for a reasonable price ... I guess.
I hope this was the right decision ... the Canon FD looks like a lot of work to convert and I don´t have time now for playing around with it...
So I have to wait for the lens and the adapter. Don’t know which one to take, but I think I go for the Leitax with chip.

Thanks for helping me out

florian

Nov 23, 2011 at 02:13 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

I hope it fits. See http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html.

Nov 23, 2011 at 02:22 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

roschko wrote:
hi,

Just bought a Leica Summilux 50mm 1.4 from 1982 for a reasonable price ... I guess.
I hope this was the right decision ... the Canon FD looks like a lot of work to convert and I don´t have time now for playing around with it...
So I have to wait for the lens and the adapter. Don’t know which one to take, but I think I go for the Leitax with chip.

Thanks for helping me out

florian

The Canon FD 55/1.2 Asph is more than a lot of work - you'll also need to shave 2mm+ off a Canon FF mirror and rebuild from scratch the aperture mechanics on that lens - I had one and backed out of the conversion on that lens after doing three other FD's - it is one of the hardest FD's to convert.

Good luck with the Summilux - I had a Summicron for a while, very close to the Lux rendering - very nice lens! Hope you like it.

Nov 23, 2011 at 04:24 PM
flashinm
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

I've also tested a large number of 50s, and the Pentax-A 50 f1.4 is the one that still in my bag. It's just a great all around performer. Haven't tested the Leicas though.

As you can tell, there are a lot of different opinions. This is true mostly because there's not one best 50mm. Each have different strengths, weaknesses, and character. Most of them are fairly inexpensive so my advise is to pick 2 and keep the one you like the most and then just keep buying others one at a time until you find what suits you best.

Nov 23, 2011 at 06:23 PM
roschko

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

... first shots made ...
fits on 5DI, 5DII, 1DsIII with Leitax Mount.

first impressions:
Beautiful Lens, nice Build Quality, I think nice rendering too ... kind ‘a soft wide open though ... is this possible ?

Dec 04, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

If you get hooked on alt lenses you will have a dozen of 50mm lenses in no time. Just make sure you do not overpay for your first ones. Buy and try and sell on until you find what is good enough for you! "good enough" is important, otherwise you end up craving for the expensive summilux or even start considering ordering custom built standard, say 48mm, lens from Zeiss or Leica! The last idea intrigues me - someone rich could try that. I think they would be happy to build the best they can - an impractical, heavy and expensive lens - an instant legend. How much do you think it could cost?

Dec 04, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

roschko wrote:
... first shots made ...
fits on 5DI, 5DII, 1DsIII with Leitax Mount.

first impressions:
Beautiful Lens, nice Build Quality, I think nice rendering too ... kind ‘a soft wide open though ... is this possible ?

Sounds familiar for the older Summilux-R. I have only had summicrons and they are sharp enough.

Dec 04, 2011 at 10:25 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

EF 50 1.8 II..........(taken yesterday @ f/2 on a 5D)....(there are a lot of good 50's out there and even the ultra cheapies really aren't all that bad)...
http://brownphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Acadia/i-LSMBhD9/0/XL/IMG8185-14-XL.jpg

Dec 04, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Grenache
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

For artsy shots, I like the Rokkor 58/1.2. Although it is good across the board, I don't find it great. For non-artsy, I like both the Leica R 50/2 summicron and the Contax 50/1.7 and 50/1.4...though they differ substantially in rendering near wide open.

I am moving to the Bay area and have to downsize my photo gear (along with about half of our furniture). My 50 cron and a nice Leica film body are both currently in the B&S section. I have loved both, but when your square footage drops by a factor of three, so does your camera gear...at least according to my wife. :-)

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1066039

Jim

Dec 04, 2011 at 12:09 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

Grenache wrote:
but when your square footage drops by a factor of three, so does your camera gear...at least according to my wife. :-)

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1066039

Jim

hah, i just went through this myself, though it was mostly larger items then lenses that needed to go to fit in our SF aparment. good luck with the move.

Dec 04, 2011 at 06:13 PM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · ... Best 50mm Lens on Canon FF ?

michael49 wrote:
(there are a lot of good 50's out there and even the ultra cheapies really aren't all that bad)...]

+1

Besides you can have multiple lenses for the mood you want to capture. Why settle for just one.

Dec 04, 2011 at 06:26 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.