Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2011 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

Yeah, Gray Ray La Marca was priceless. He meant well but always set himself up for ridicule by cruel students. He's gone now but I've never forgotten him.

Nov 22, 2011 at 02:53 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

Wow. Just wow. I hardly know where to begin. Peter had it right. I was pointing out the irony of Art Center, which taught and probably still teaches its students to see, with the fact that one of the most methodical techniques of exposure evaluation ever developed was developed right there at Art Center.

AA was long gone by the time I got to Art Center, although one of my mentors did take courses from him while he attended school. He told me stories of his experiences. Good times indeed. I did learn the Zone System while at Art Center from "Gray Ray" Lamarca. I think I still have a long out of date bottle of Elon down in the basement left over when I was mixing up D-23 from scratch.

I don't think there's a day gone by that I don't make some use of my education from Art Center. I don't have to apply that education directly to photography for it to have been a benefit. Part of my job includes web design, at least before I got bumped up to program management. The design and graphics background sure helped there. I also learned a lot about a strong work ethic. When I was there, we regularly put in 70 and 80 hour work weeks. We were pushed to excel, a lesson that remains through one's life.

Although I engage in photography now as a happy amateur, my Art Center education is so ingrained that its influence is part of every photograph. I was blessed by having an opportunity to get a fine education and a wonderful experience. I don't have to justify that education by continuing to use photography to make a living. Life changes. I've been fortunate to have had an opportunity to achieve a second college degree and pursue a second rewarding career. My new career provided me with the wherewithal to pursue photography in an arguably purer form. It also provided me with perhaps the purest luxury, the luxury of only pleasing myself. I have no need for acclamation or approval from others. The only problem is that I tend to be my fiercest critic. My other career also allowed me the gift of spending my weekends with my family instead of out on a shoot. It was nice to be there to watch my sons play ball or perform in the orchestra.

The bottom line is I'm proud of my Art Center education. I have no regrets working for years as a professional. I have no regrets getting another degree and pursuing another career. I also still love photography.

Nov 22, 2011 at 03:34 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

Peter Figen wrote:
"As for "Muddy" ... I listen to his Blues even more than I look at Ansel's images. Both are candy for the senses ... both are iconic. "

The boxed set is really fantastic.

Here's another Blues fan. One of my treasures is a near mint condition 78 copy of "Black Snake Moan" by Blind Lemon Jefferson. I've got about 100 pre-war blues 78's in my collection. I also have several postwar Chicago blues 78's.

I play classical violin and Celtic fiddle, but both sons play a pretty mean blues guitar. My older son was a guest musician at the annual Skydog Festivall held to honor Duane Allman. Doug had a great time and there were more than 5,000 fans who showed up. Doug was a little intimidated though, since his keyboard player during his set was a special guest, Chuck Leavell.

Nov 22, 2011 at 03:42 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

It's funny that even though I still shoot as a good part of my income, most of what I do today was never touched upon at Art Center. When I graduated Photoshop was still years away and I think there might have been one computer in the entire school. What Art Center taught me as well was work ethic and how to think and how to keep going until you "got it". It was that training that let me teach myself Photoshop, digital imaging, retouching, hi-end file preparation and how to operate a drum scanner. It's all in your approach and in the constant quest for improving your skills.

Nov 22, 2011 at 04:18 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

It's cool that you guys are proud of your Art Center experience both photographically and philosophically. It reminds me of my training, approach and quest for continuous improvement and precision regarding light.

We all take different paths ... mine was heavily influenced by Dr. Doug Jenkins, "Dr. J". While he isn't well known (like AA or Muddy) in popular or photographic circles ... he was the co-inventor of night vision for the Pentagon (along with his twin brother). So when it comes to understanding light with a degree of precision that others might find impractical, it is probably as ingrained in me as significant as it is for others who think it unnecessary.

Good mentors are rare and should be treasured ... whether they are found at Harvard, on the battlefield or in Grandpa Jones Corner Store in Kornfield County. Where and how you "got it" isn't nearly as important, just so you "got it" ... and use it ... even if it is self-taught. I'll never be the mentor that "Dr. J" is, but I do try to share at least some things so that others might benefit from them. Ya win some, ya lose some, but ya keep on trying ...

Nov 22, 2011 at 05:54 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password