Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2011 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

Peter Figen wrote:
"As for "Muddy" ... I listen to his Blues even more than I look at Ansel's images. Both are candy for the senses ... both are iconic. "

The boxed set is really fantastic.

Here's another Blues fan. One of my treasures is a near mint condition 78 copy of "Black Snake Moan" by Blind Lemon Jefferson. I've got about 100 pre-war blues 78's in my collection. I also have several postwar Chicago blues 78's.

I play classical violin and Celtic fiddle, but both sons play a pretty mean blues guitar. My older son was a guest musician at the annual Skydog Festivall held to honor Duane Allman. Doug had a great time and there were more than 5,000 fans who showed up. Doug was a little intimidated though, since his keyboard player during his set was a special guest, Chuck Leavell.

Nov 22, 2011 at 03:42 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

It's funny that even though I still shoot as a good part of my income, most of what I do today was never touched upon at Art Center. When I graduated Photoshop was still years away and I think there might have been one computer in the entire school. What Art Center taught me as well was work ethic and how to think and how to keep going until you "got it". It was that training that let me teach myself Photoshop, digital imaging, retouching, hi-end file preparation and how to operate a drum scanner. It's all in your approach and in the constant quest for improving your skills.

Nov 22, 2011 at 04:18 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Lighting Ratios, beyond the numbers....

It's cool that you guys are proud of your Art Center experience both photographically and philosophically. It reminds me of my training, approach and quest for continuous improvement and precision regarding light.

We all take different paths ... mine was heavily influenced by Dr. Doug Jenkins, "Dr. J". While he isn't well known (like AA or Muddy) in popular or photographic circles ... he was the co-inventor of night vision for the Pentagon (along with his twin brother). So when it comes to understanding light with a degree of precision that others might find impractical, it is probably as ingrained in me as significant as it is for others who think it unnecessary.

Good mentors are rare and should be treasured ... whether they are found at Harvard, on the battlefield or in Grandpa Jones Corner Store in Kornfield County. Where and how you "got it" isn't nearly as important, just so you "got it" ... and use it ... even if it is self-taught. I'll never be the mentor that "Dr. J" is, but I do try to share at least some things so that others might benefit from them. Ya win some, ya lose some, but ya keep on trying ...

Nov 22, 2011 at 05:54 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password