Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource
  

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2011 · Good lighting today
  
 
JJuLLiAAn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Good lighting today


I went out and shot some bugs today and the lighting was just perfect. I have been playing with getting the whole body in focus with a better keeper rate. Enjoy.

C&C wanted
#1


#2


#3


#4


#5


#6


#7


#8


#9


#10



Nov 19, 2011 at 06:13 PM
Dalantech
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Good lighting today


Love the light in that set!

Two points: Watch your centering (don't do it unless the subject fills the frame) and shoot from lower angles if possible (makes for a more interesting shot).



Nov 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM
Bandi
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Good lighting today


Lighting is definatly much better in this set Julian! #6 (good angle) and #10 (Best full body focus) are my picks from this set.


Nov 19, 2011 at 11:51 PM
JJuLLiAAn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Good lighting today


Dalantech wrote:
Love the light in that set!

Two points: Watch your centering (don't do it unless the subject fills the frame) and shoot from lower angles if possible (makes for a more interesting shot).



Well the bugs were big enough that they would have been slightly out of the frame. Thanks for the replies.



Nov 20, 2011 at 01:11 AM
James Burden
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Good lighting today


Are you still using ViewNX to convert the files? If so try sliding that sharpening slider to the right a bit.


Nov 20, 2011 at 02:22 AM
JJuLLiAAn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Good lighting today


Yes I am still using viewNX, but I really don't like to edit. I will try a little bit though.


Nov 20, 2011 at 03:56 AM
orionmystery
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Good lighting today


Lovely set. Nice light.


Nov 20, 2011 at 04:03 AM
Tom Hicks
Online
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Good lighting today


Julian what f stop are you using ? you need to be at f11 or so , unless you are going to focus stack. When I shoot rev. lens I shoot at f11 most all the time and f 11 to f13 with the MPE. I haven't posted much and have not been following your progress or even know what setup you are using .

But you should be getting images closer to the ones in my rev lens thread, no matter what lens you are using , rev, mpe , stacked lens , reg macro and tubes, or reg macro and closeup lens . they well all give you equal results for the most part. Like I said haven't been follow much here in the past 8 months so don't let any of my comments bother you . I'm looking in every day just to make sure ya'll are not fighting.

Tom



Nov 20, 2011 at 04:28 AM
LordV
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Good lighting today


Much better light- these are pretty good for what I assume are natural light shots.
Much easier to shoot flies with diffused Flash.
Brian V.



Nov 20, 2011 at 07:36 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



e6filmuser
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Good lighting today


No 9 is probably a Gasteruption species. I get them visiting Goldenrod flowers in mid summer.

For slender, +/- two-dimensional insects like that, by lining it up parallel to the sensor plane you can just get away with f8. As here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14019

Anything deeper, such as thicker body or flat wings viewed from the side, definitely needs f11, maybe smaller.

Harold



Nov 20, 2011 at 08:50 AM
JJuLLiAAn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Good lighting today


Tom Hicks wrote:
Julian what f stop are you using ? you need to be at f11 or so , unless you are going to focus stack. When I shoot rev. lens I shoot at f11 most all the time and f 11 to f13 with the MPE. I haven't posted much and have not been following your progress or even know what setup you are using .

But you should be getting images closer to the ones in my rev lens thread, no matter what lens you are using , rev, mpe , stacked lens , reg macro and tubes, or reg
...Show more

I was using the Tamron90mm f/2.8 macro with out tubes. My f/stop was at f/11.



Brian these images were taken in cloudy conditions with the on camera flash.



Nov 20, 2011 at 05:05 PM
Tom Hicks
Online
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Good lighting today


Julian are these shot on a full frame camera, the DOF look very shallow for f11. I don't know how old you are or the condition of your eyes but these are on the soft side . if you are shooting raw and don't ilk to process this will be part of the problem , shoot jpg and add some in camera sharpening . I just turned 54 and my eye are crap right now . I'm just trying to help. right now your focus is to far back . focus only on the eyes .Your DOF is deeper in the back than the front.


Nov 20, 2011 at 05:57 PM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Good lighting today


JJuLLiAAn wrote:
I was using the Tamron90mm f/2.8 macro with out tubes. My f/stop was at f/11.
.

Is that an AF version or MF?

Harold



Nov 20, 2011 at 06:46 PM
JJuLLiAAn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Good lighting today


Tom Hicks wrote:
Julian are these shot on a full frame camera, the DOF look very shallow for f11. I don't know how old you are or the condition of your eyes but these are on the soft side . if you are shooting raw and don't ilk to process this will be part of the problem , shoot jpg and add some in camera sharpening . I just turned 54 and my eye are crap right now . I'm just trying to help. right now your focus is to far back . focus only on the eyes .Your DOF is deeper
...Show more

I am 12.

This is the AF version.



Nov 20, 2011 at 07:43 PM
e6filmuser
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Good lighting today


JJuLLiAAn wrote
This is the AF version.


What I was looking for was any chance that you were dialling in an aperture on the body when it had to be set manually on this particular lens. That would have been consistent with the DOF results you are getting. I don't know enough about the hardware to be sure that possibility is now eliminated whereas there was quite a strong possibility with an MF lens.

Harold



Nov 20, 2011 at 08:07 PM
JJuLLiAAn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Good lighting today


This is the most recent one.


Nov 20, 2011 at 11:01 PM
Jonathan Huynh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Good lighting today


Great stuff.


Nov 21, 2011 at 06:50 AM





FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password