Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · computer monitors for photography

DaveOls
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · computer monitors for photography

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question.
Is there a computer monitor that is good for photography and is reasonably priced? I am looking for either a 17 or 19 inch monitor. I don't think I have room on my computer desk for anything bigger. I now have a Sony 15 inch lcd monitor that doesn't seem too bad. Is there a cheap way to calibrate a monitor for photography?

DaveOls

Nov 19, 2011 at 01:54 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · computer monitors for photography

some of the better IPS panelled Dells or the NEC P221W are worth looking at.

Nov 19, 2011 at 02:14 AM
GeneO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · computer monitors for photography

What do you consider reasonably priced? NEC Spectraview series, which come with calibration software. Definitely want an IPS panel.

Nov 19, 2011 at 05:27 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · computer monitors for photography

I was thinking of about $ 500 or less for the monitor.

DaveOls

Nov 19, 2011 at 01:09 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · computer monitors for photography

I just found the imageresource.com site and was amazed with all the information available on monitors. There was a 22 inch available for $ 699 that looks interesting. By the time you add in the software to adjust it, it is about $ 850 .
Thanks for recommending the the NEC's.

DaveOls

Nov 19, 2011 at 02:10 PM
Dale Kirchhofe

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · computer monitors for photography

Here is a link to a list of curent IPS monitors with pricing info. I have the Viewsonic VP2365wp which can be found for under $300.00. Works fine for me, I use i1 Display Pro for calibration. I don't think you'll find any IPS monitors under 21/22".

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

dale

Nov 19, 2011 at 02:12 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · computer monitors for photography

I have the aforementioned NEC P221w and consider it essential to my photography. Don't know what the current cost is, but after having several other, lower priced IPS panels (HP, Dell), the NEC is simply on another level and I'm sure it has a lot to do with the Spectraview software and hardware.

Peace,

Todd

Nov 19, 2011 at 04:35 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · computer monitors for photography

Is the NEC P221W able to be calibrated using the spectraview 2 hardware? It is a PVA type LCD instead of IPS, is that a problem for photography
I made a mistake on the site for monitors. It is imagescience.com. They are in Australia, but they really give a lot of information about monitors.

DaveOls

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · computer monitors for photography

Yes, the 221 can be calibrated w/ Spectraview. the PVA panel is NOT an issue.

You can download the Spectraview manual if you wander over to necdisplay.com

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM
GeneO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · computer monitors for photography

DaveOls wrote:
Is the NEC P221W able to be calibrated using the spectraview 2 hardware? It is a PVA type LCD instead of IPS, is that a problem for photography
I made a mistake on the site for monitors. It is imagescience.com. They are in Australia, but they really give a lot of information about monitors.

DaveOls

In my experience PVA is too dark with crushed shadows head on, you have to look slightly off-axis, which makes it difficult for adjusting contrast and tone. That was with mid-tier a Samsung PVA a while back though and there may be variations of PVA that don't exhibit this behavior - I expect things have changed for PVA. IPS will allow you to view over a wide range without contrast shifts. The are also variations of IPS some better than others. I think H-IPS is a really good bet as is S-IPS.

Nov 20, 2011 at 02:20 AM
beshannon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · computer monitors for photography

I recently got the 24" Dell IPS with a new pc. Once I got it set up and calibrated I felt like I was looking at my old images for the first time.

Nov 22, 2011 at 02:41 PM
snapyfsx

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · computer monitors for photography

The Asus PA238Q is probably the best budget monitor for photography around at the moment, The Dell U2312HM is also pretty good.

I found www.monitorsforphotography.com a pretty useful resource for explaining what all the tech means and has a few reviews too.

Nov 22, 2011 at 03:55 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · computer monitors for photography

I'm still using an old 20" IPS Apple Cinema Display (the later aluminum frame, which has been discontinued for a while), and it's great. They're readily available for cheap, and you may find new old stock.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · computer monitors for photography

In addition to the short review at monitorsforphotography.com, here's a very in-depth and technical review of the NEC221W: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-nec-p221w.html

Also check TFT Central for more information and reviews of additional monitors, including some others mentioned in this thread.

Dave

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM
genzbenz

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · computer monitors for photography

You can get the ASUS ProArt Series PA246Q 24.1" monitor for $485 at Newegg

For those monitor experts, it's a P-IPS panel, which is similar to S-IPS. Nec recently started using P-IPS panels on some of their monitors last year.

I picked one up and got the Spyder3 and wow....what a difference compared to my old TN monitors.

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:46 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password