Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

Searched to no avail. Trying to see if Canon makes an adapter to mount on the hot-shoe with a PC connector. Also looking for the adapter to mount to the foot of my Canon 430 EXII Speedlite which would allow PC connectivity. Why? Because the 430 EXII doesn't have a PC terminal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the TTL-off camera flash cords aren't exactly made at lengths of 16 or 30+ feet. I would like to use my Speedlite off camera and not be limited to only 6 feet away with a TTL cord. Can't afford a transmitter so that's out and I can't afford to purchase a 580 so I'm looking into the relatively low budget PC method, but can't find the mounts. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance - Kevin

Nov 18, 2011 at 09:40 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

Kevin, try from this site: www.flashzebra.com/hotshoes-shoes/flash-hotshoes.shtml

Nov 18, 2011 at 04:48 PM
robn70

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

This is the cord that you will need. It's 24 ft.

http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0125/index.shtml

Nov 18, 2011 at 05:02 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

Thanks you two! I completely forgot about flashzebra (only ran across their site once, several months ago).

robn70 - that's perfect, thank you!

Just ordered the cable and I'm sure it will be exactly what I need.

Nov 18, 2011 at 07:22 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

It is also possible to cut, splice and extend the TTL cord with braided 8-pair Ethernet computer cable. Or alternately install RJ-45 female connectors in both ends of the TTL cord (some Dremel work and tight quarters soldering required) which allows RJ-45 Ethernet patch cords of various lengths to be used: short for use on a bracket, long for use on a stand.

There is however some logic to the short length of the Canon cord: 1) It's designed to be a wireless system, and; 2) when the "key" flash is moved off axis you'll need a fill source. The 3ft. cord is ideal for mounting the Master on a bracket for use as fill in a 2-flash scenario:

You'll find with one flash off camera you can create a lighting pattern but not control the lighting ratio very easily. With dual flash ETTL ratios you simply dial in the ratio based on how dark you want the shadows (A:B = 1:2 looks "normal") then adjust FEC until highlights are correctly exposed.

My advice? Skip the long cord and put the money towards a second flash.

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Trailboy

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

Best ttl cables are:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIXEL-RF-801-4m-E-TTL-FLASH-Off-Camera-Cord-Canon-580EX-II-580EX-550EX-430EX-/280735772743?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item415d27f047

Pixel ttl connectors that allow you to use standard ethernet cables to connect ttl flashes over distances.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

cgardner - If I were to purchase a second flash I would have to go with the 580EX II, but can't afford it so I've decided to go with the cable from flashzebra. Thanks for the tips though!

Trailboy - That's an interesting set-up. I like how the user would not be limited to a specific length cable since cat-5 is so easy to obtain at any length. It would be ideal for me since I only have one flash right now, but it would lose TTL if I were to add a second flash in the future. Much appreciated though!

Kevin

Nov 21, 2011 at 04:10 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

no_surrender wrote:
...it would lose TTL if I were to add a second flash in the future.

You could use other flashes in ETTL Wireless mode, with the cable-connected flash acting as the Master. In this sense, it's no different than using the Canon-brand ETTL cord or a camera-mounted flash. The advantrage is that you can use different lengths of cable as needed, and replace them as they wear.

Nov 21, 2011 at 04:49 AM
TiSE
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

Hi, Here is a cheaper option for the bits you are after..

I'd consider the 3.5mm 'miniphone' sockets & plugs, they are MUCH more reliable than PC.. I find I'm always trying to wiggle the cables to get PC Sockets working.

If you go PC from your Camera PC socket, use a screw lock type to prevent it falling out all the time. So I would recommend Screw type PC at camera end to 3.5mm miniphone jack at flash hotshoe end.

Colins photo are cheap and I've found the dozen or so bits & pieces I've ordered to be of good quality, very happy with his service and postage costs too.. He's managed to get parcels from UK to Australia in under a week.. Only B&H have service like that but you pay thru the nose for it...

Rob

http://stores.ebay.com.au/colinsfoto?_rdc=1

Edit, found him on the Web if you don't like that auction site...

http://www.colinsfoto.com/

Nov 21, 2011 at 09:52 AM
Trailboy

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon hot-shoe mount PC adapter?

Except you wont get any ttl functionality, just a dumb trigger.

And if that is all you want, you would be better off with a radio trigger and lose the cable entirely.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:29 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password