Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Best way to get Metz 54 MZ3 on bracket for 5DII

Michael Gordon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best way to get Metz 54 MZ3 on bracket for 5DII

So far when put my Metz flash on Stroboframe bracket just use cheap
'bay radio slaves but lose the communication and AF assist lamp.
I see some cheap 3rd party canon extension cables the true Canon cable and ran into a
Metz 3008 cable---it appears to require its own batteries and moves the AF assist to the hot shoe.
The AF distance effectiveness is said to be lower than on the flash but at least it is more on axis.
It can be a bit more expensive. Too bad they didn't move the auto mode sensor there too.
Wonder what others think. Any comments appreciated.
Mike

Nov 15, 2011 at 05:50 PM
Photodan34
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best way to get Metz 54 MZ3 on bracket for 5DII

My flash is on my bracket and I use the 0c-3 cable, not sure if it have the same functionality as the metz cable, but it's a simple direct connection and retains all flash functions. ez peasy.

I use a "custom bracket" www.custombrackets.com

Nov 15, 2011 at 06:04 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best way to get Metz 54 MZ3 on bracket for 5DII

Those custom brackets look very very nice. The Metz cable puts an AF assist light in the hot shoe and requires a bit of fussing with the flash to set up. I had the OC-3 cable in my cart at B&H, then thought to look for the Metz cable. Also a 1/3 price knock off
was available.
Mike

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:51 PM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best way to get Metz 54 MZ3 on bracket for 5DII

The Metz 3102 M3 module (module to take SCA3000 flash units and use them with Canon ETTL) should enable you to use your flash unit under ETTL control, using standard Canon OC-En cable or one of a number of aftermarket substitutes. Of course, an alternative to using a cable would be to use an ETTL-compatible radio transmitter & receiver.

Nov 16, 2011 at 05:44 AM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best way to get Metz 54 MZ3 on bracket for 5DII

Thanks for commenting . I think the latest flavor of pocket wizzards support the lastest version of Metz 54 af fro Canon but don't know about the 54 MZ3. Mine does not support Ettl-2 with modifiers so I generally use the nice auto mode. It is still nice for the flash to obtain the FL, ISO, aperture from the cam

Nov 16, 2011 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password