Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Woodland Abstract

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Woodland Abstract

Bark, bark, bark!

Scott

EXIF
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 100 Macro 2.8 @ f9.5, 1/350s, ISO 800

GoetzPhotoz 2011

Nov 15, 2011 at 02:48 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Woodland Abstract

sbeme wrote:
Bark, bark, bark!

Is that Professor Pugglestein giving his approval.

Eye Candy ... lots of interesting shapes, textures, tone, colors & lines. Intriguing comp, with what looks like semi-framing on the left and botttom. A range of palette, yet subdued and not over-bearing. Dynamic, yet demure ... almost sounds like a description of a 'fine wine'.

A nice abstract ... I'm clueless as to what it actually is, other than what reminds me of a cross-section of worm-holes. It works both ways as an intrigue to study that you can "lose yourself" in, or simply as a palette. BTW, few abstracts work for me. I usually find them to be done with too little thought regarding their elements, i.e. just somebody taking a close-up/crop of something and calling it an abstract (which technically they are, just not very good ones).

This is nice. Good job.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Woodland Abstract

I also really like this, Scott.
Rusty's description is much more eloquent than any words I could dream up- and they are very accurate also.
I saw the B&W version first, and thought it was either thin layers of sedimentary rock with stream-tumbled rocks embedded between layers, or some kind of tree like birch. The colors confuse me even more, although your words here give it away.
An excellent shot of an incredible find- for sure.
Charlie

Nov 16, 2011 at 02:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Woodland Abstract

+1 @ sedimentary rock ... even with the hint at bark, it still looks like sedimentary rock, confusing/intriguing. Do you have a wider shot, or can you give us a bit of an explanation as to what we're seeing?

Nov 16, 2011 at 05:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

penpro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Woodland Abstract

Love the texture in this. Almost looks like rock in some places and wood in others.

Nov 16, 2011 at 01:22 PM
TripleYYY
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Woodland Abstract

Scott, I like this one very much. The more I look at it the more I see. The textures, the circles, the wavey lines......all sorts of things. Some faces. Good abstract, it keeps the viewer looking.

Y

Nov 18, 2011 at 03:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Woodland Abstract

TripleYYY wrote:
it keeps the viewer looking.

Bingo !!!

Nov 18, 2011 at 04:06 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Woodland Abstract

Thanks, folks.
I am glad this is working for all of you.
I posted a BW version but I dont think it worked as well. Maybe it just needs more work on tonal separation, but I think the processing and the warm earthy colors are better here.

Glad it isnt too recognizable and works as an abstract.

Here is a less close-in shot of the bark of the tree. It sits in some Audubon land not far from my house. Seems like I am wired for the pattern recognition of faces. We probably all are. That and the colors and textures grabbed my attention. No processing on this one. Just RAW to jpeg.

Scott

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password