Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Turkey Vulture

penpro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Turkey Vulture

Stepped to the edge of a cliff and bam, one of the first shots. Tell me what you think.

Turkey Vulture by PEN Productions / Paul Neale, on Flickr

Nov 14, 2011 at 08:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Turkey Vulture

Quite fine.
Perfectly placed in the frame.
Nice colors.
Sharpness looks very good.
Exposure looks good. You might want to open up some more shadows for greater detail.
Maybe a little selective noise reduction in the blues to clean it up, finish it off.
What lens, EXIF?

Scott

Nov 14, 2011 at 09:39 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #3 · Turkey Vulture

Exif is on the Flickr page.

It was an 18-200, 1/2000 at 6.3 and it was the full 200mm on a crop sensor.

Thanks for the feed back. I will have a look at reducing the noise in the blues.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:47 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Turkey Vulture

I find it a bit over-sharpened with a white halo around it on close inspection. It would also be more interesting with more detail in the shadows. I did that below in "quick and dirty" fashion with a middle slider Levels correction. That also lightened the sky but I find I like that better also, in part because it doesn't make the sharpening halo on the leading edge of the wing as obvious.

Feathers (and fur) get their illusion of 3D shape and texture in 2D photos from specular reflections formed by the tiny flat facets. Unfortunately the AA filter on digital cameras kill them. A way to compensate for that it is selectively over sharpen. In my edit above I over-sharpened a duplicate layer with USM = 500, .5,0. Then using a mask I applied it just to the body of the bird. Then using the opacity slider on the dupe sharpened layer I moved it from 0% to 100% to find the point it looked best, settling on 40%.

Nov 15, 2011 at 01:26 AM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #5 · Turkey Vulture

Thanks again. I will do another process on this one then as I didn't work to hard on it the first time around.

Nov 15, 2011 at 02:31 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password