Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Car Headlights

sknight

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Car Headlights

Hello,

I have been doing photography for a few years now and am looking for some feed back.

Car

Nov 14, 2011 at 03:02 AM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #2 · Car Headlights

Cut and paste the BB code from flickr to your post and your image will be embedded in it. You get more comments that way.

The image looked good, exposure looks right. I don't like the line from the horizon sticking out of the side if the car but that is just being picky.

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM
sknight

p.1 #3 · Car Headlights

Thanks.

Nov 14, 2011 at 01:54 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Car Headlights

On its technical merits the overexposure of the hood and sky causes the shape of the car to lost into the similar background of the blown out sky. That's a physical limitation of the digital medium short range that occurs in most outdoor images. The only solution is to add flash in the foreground or blend multiple exposures.

Flash wouldn't have been a good option here because it would create reflections from the flash on the chrome. A big white reflect like a sheet might work if you had someone to hold it, but the more practical approach when isn't moving is to shoot from a tripod, expose for detail in the highlights, slow shutter down 3-4 stops and take a shot to record the shadow detail lost in the first. Open the two shots, then copy/paste the second into the first onto a new layer in Photoshop, add a mask and blend in the shadow detail where desired.

Starting with your original lowered output in a copy in the highlights to get more density there then added a bit of color to the sky. On other layers I adjusted the tone and color in the shaded foreground which has a reddish cast in your original. Chrome, seen in shade takes on the blue bias from the sky winding up looking cooler by eye than the sunlit background. I tried to create the same effect:

Nov 14, 2011 at 03:24 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password