Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Hi,

I ask this from people has experience with Alter Lens on Nikon. I was very satisfied with D700 stock screen until I see through 5Dc with EE-S(or maybe EG-S), it looks about 20% brighter when use fast glass. I did a brief search and find out no equivalent on Nikon side.

I am not talking about split prism, or any focus aid screen but a brighter one with fast glass.

Any help here?

Thanks,
Michael

Oct 12, 2011 at 09:35 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Huh? I had a 5D with Ee-S and was always grumbling about how dim it was. Now I have a D3, and it is much brighter. Are you sure you mean this screen?

Oct 12, 2011 at 09:40 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

I might need double check with this. My comparison is not that scientific as he has 85mm 1.2 hooked, and mine is MP100 at f2. my thought is modern DSLR screen won't be any brighter after f2.8, optimized for slow zoom. and I assume his screen will further improve lightness with fast glass but mine is not. My assumption could be wrong

I will double check this once I am home use DOF button.

In any case, will you see lightness improve with aperture open up by using DOF for your D3? Do you know if your D3 has brighter screen than D700?

Thanks for your reply.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

I think the focus screen cannot show depth of field correctly after f/2.8, but the brightness should be accurate, in relative terms.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

That is kind of answering my question that why his viewfinder is more brighter than mine for its wide aperture but not special screen.

So EE-s Eg-s won't make viewfinder brighter with fast glass compare to regular screen but make DOF more obvious?

Then, does nikon have similar screen to EE-s EG-s to show DOF correctly?

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:08 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Yes, the Ee-S for the original Canon 5D made manual focus much easier, or should I say, possible. It was dim though, which I was not happy about. I find my D3 easier to focus with the stock screen, to be honest. I don't know if Nikon has such a screen, but I think not. I never looked into it because I was happy as it is.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:10 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Thanks
That is also answer why I am really impressed when I look through 5Dc with 85mm 1.2 hooked. I never see DOF like that with my Zeiss 85mm 1.4. Now I know it is not the lens make that much difference but screen

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM
dudemanppl
• • •
p.1 #8 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Get a Ee/g-S screen, use sandpaper to grind off the tab, and stick it in the D700. Works perfectly.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:40 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

That is interesting. Only grind off the tab? I thought the one with D700 has small tab as well!!? Is the size same?
How it compare to stock one, other than DOF?
Thanks.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

I find this:
http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=22_92
Just bought the last one type-S screen here. So you won't see it in the page anymore. But basically, it is a modified Canon type S screen fit for Nikon D700.
i looks forward to get it since all my glass are fasted than 2.8 now.
I will report back once it arrived compare what I have right now.

Oct 13, 2011 at 01:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

I have 5-6 different focusing screens in my Canon bodies, including the S-screen. I have to change the settings in the meny with every new screen (including the S-screen) to get the right exposure. What do you do in your camera
The S-screen is for manual focus of fast lenses. It's good with those f/1,2 and f/1,4 lenses, But not anything to buy if you use f/2,8 or f/4 lenses all the time

Oct 13, 2011 at 05:29 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Why not simply use one with a split screen? Nikon has several options, including diagonal split, which is my favourite.

Oct 13, 2011 at 06:07 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

zhangyue wrote:
Thanks
That is also answer why I am really impressed when I look through 5Dc with 85mm 1.2 hooked. I never see DOF like that with my Zeiss 85mm 1.4. Now I know it is not the lens make that much difference but screen

It might be the lens… the 85L has the type of boke which make everything super-blurry, whereas the Zeiss still has a lot of detail in the boke. You should try with more similar lenses, or get an adapter for the Zeiss to put it on the Canon, and then compare.

Oct 13, 2011 at 07:11 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I have 5-6 different focusing screens in my Canon bodies, including the S-screen. I have to change the settings in the meny with every new screen (including the S-screen) to get the right exposure. What do you do in your camera
The S-screen is for manual focus of fast lenses. It's good with those f/1,2 and f/1,4 lenses, But not anything to buy if you use f/2,8 or f/4 lenses all the time

Yesterday night, I put my Zeiss P85 on my D700, and find that after f2, I see no much difference in viewfinder brightness. And no DOF change after f2.8.

As for exposure, I have found that I need manual adjust for each of my ZF lens anyway, My P50 and MP100 always overexposure and P85 under exposure and MP50/D35 usually correct, especially not wide open shoot. I never investigate it since it doesn't bother me much as long as I didn't blow up my highlight and not under exposure too much to a extent not usable for skin tone.
Now, all my lens are >f2, so I'd like to try S-type to report back compare to my D700 stock one.

Oct 13, 2011 at 06:05 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
Why not simply use one with a split screen? Nikon has several options, including diagonal split, which is my favourite.

I don't think Nikon has option for D700, unless you custom order the F6 type, which is in the same link above in my previous post. It cost about $105, and I am sure it will mess up my spot/center weight meter even more.
I have used Kayzeye for my D300s, and I find the split thing in the middle really distract me during compose. This is just personal preference.
Thanks for point out.

Oct 13, 2011 at 06:08 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

carstenw wrote:
It might be the lens… the 85L has the type of boke which make everything super-blurry, whereas the Zeiss still has a lot of detail in the boke. You should try with more similar lenses, or get an adapter for the Zeiss to put it on the Canon, and then compare.

Wont be that dramatic though You know I always use to my P85's f2.8 DOF, thus, I am really impressed once I see that 85 monster.

Oct 13, 2011 at 06:10 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Quick update on this, I have received S-type Focus screen. The screen arrive in 4 days after it shipped, and it took 3 days after my order to ship. I guess they were building it after take orders.
It took me about 5 min to install it since I have the experience installing Kaytzeye for my D300s before. But found it seriously back focus, I put the plastic shimmers come with it, it turns out two is too much, and one is dead on. I use MP50 to check focus, highly recommend using a micro lens, so put your test target closeby to use thin DOF to check focus, you can see it in eyes clearly and take the shot, compare, adjust, take the shot, and compare again, done. (Hint, don't use metal tweezers when put screen in, I did that, and leave some marks on the small tab on focus screen. It seems extremely soft.)

Impression:
Now I can see the changes in viewfinder light in half stop in aperture up to F1.2. And DOF is almost match what I see if I took wide open shot, which I like it very much. The viewfinder lightness is almost the same as D700 stock one, or might a little bit of lighter from what I see through f1.4 lens. Not sure about this, as I don't want put old one back to compare again.
For Manual focus, This will speed up my shooting for sure, but it won't improve my keeper rate most of time unless my target are close by (I can think of using 35mm 1.4 for portrait will be really helpful), it turns out focused in viewfinder not guarantee you will see a dead on focus on screen 100%. So this will only improve my speed to get accept shot once needed, but won't help me in critical sharp focus, unless it is a macro. (But in that case, even stock one may works as well)

Do I like it and recommend to FMer here? It really up to you after reading my impression. For me, I like it better than Kaytzeye, it worth every penny asked. I for sure will get one for my D800 as well when time comes

Thanks.

Oct 24, 2011 at 06:23 AM
dudemanppl
• • •
p.1 #18 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Hehe! Thats what I thought. If a split screen isn't made out of ground glass I deem it useless.

Oct 24, 2011 at 06:36 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #19 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

Have you ever tried on calibrating your viewfinder first? there supposed to be a kind of screw or the right hand side when you open the lens mounting the camera. You could adjust by twisting the screw, google for viewfinder calibration.

Oct 24, 2011 at 01:46 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Focus screen for D700, D3 like Canon, Any??

I am not a expert on this, However, based on my understanding, put a shimmer is all we need, that is why there are one or two shimmer is already comes with D700 if you remove the screen. Nikon also have three different shimmer for ordering.

Adjust screw sounds to me changing the angle of focus screen, which will mess up the focus plane. Unless there is confirmed uneven focus plane out of factory, I will be really conservative to do this.

Oct 24, 2011 at 02:53 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password