Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

kavawavaphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

Hey everyone,
Went garage sale hopping again this morning and I stumbled across this thing. Thought it was a Leica R lens at first. It reads "Soligor Tele-Auto 200mm f/3.5." Manual focus, full metal body construction. Lens is probably a solid pound and a half of metal and glass, no plastic to be found. The seller didn't know what type of mount it was for, but at the rear of the lens was a very faded "NI" in red so I took a chance and bought it off of her. Lens was in fantastic condition with very snappy aperture blades, it also has a built in rotating tripod collar mount. Ended up picking it up for $12. Anyone know anything about it? From a quick Google search it says its pre-AI, so I'm very wary of putting this thing on my D700 straight. I paired it with a PK-13 extension ring and WOW, results are amazingly sharp.

Thanks for your help!
Tom

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM
kavawavaphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

Here are some very quick, very boring, samples with it on a D700 with PK-13, both shot wide open at f/3.5

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:10 AM
kavawavaphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

nuthin?

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM
Elan II
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

Looking at the rear of the lens, you should be able to (slowly and carefully) mount it on your D700 without it binding or bending the aperture linkage tab. The aperture ring is nearly flush, unlike the Nikkors that protrude out much more and cause all the problems you probably read about. Once mounted, set your non-CPU lens data to whatever you're going to set the aperture to and the lens will meter just fine, even TTL.

The Soligor 200/3.5 was made by Tokina. It's considered a good lens. I'm personally happy with the much more compact Nikon 200/4 and the brilliant Vivitar 200/3.5, so I never felt the need to try this one. Others who have had good things to say about it.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:51 PM
kavawavaphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

Elan II wrote:
Looking at the rear of the lens, you should be able to (slowly and carefully) mount it on your D700 without it binding or bending the aperture linkage tab. The aperture ring is nearly flush, unlike the Nikkors that protrude out much more and cause all the problems you probably read about. Once mounted, set your non-CPU lens data to whatever you're going to set the aperture to and the lens will meter just fine, even TTL.

The Soligor 200/3.5 was made by Tokina. It's considered a good lens. I'm personally happy with the much more compact Nikon 200/4 and
...Show more

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I'll try and mount this on my D700 and see how it goes.

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:01 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

Elan II wrote:

The Soligor 200/3.5 was made by Tokina. It's considered a good lens. I'm personally happy with the much more compact Nikon 200/4 and
...Show more
It's a non-AI lens, I would not mount it on a D700 at all.

- John

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:59 PM
kavawavaphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

I always wondered, when a lens gets Ai'd. What exactly is being changed? Is the aperture ring just getting milled down or is there something else involved?

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

kavawavaphoto wrote:
I always wondered, when a lens gets Ai'd. What exactly is being changed? Is the aperture ring just getting milled down or is there something else involved?

PART of the aperture ring gets milled down flush with the back of the mount. The part that sticks out engages the indexing tab on the camera. If there is no where for the indexing tab to go and it interferes with the aperture ring when the lens mounted then things get ugly . . and expensive . . .

If you do try it, like one of the responders says, go slow and don't force anything.

- John

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:07 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

The crude way is to grind and mill away part of the mount. The proper way for a Nikkor is to replace the part, though none are available since the late 80s and most 3rd party lenses did not offer the option.

EBH

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:47 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

I really want to dispel a couple of myths here, so here's a little effort on my part.

Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 non-AI lens. Notice the AI ring is almost flush, similar to Tom's Soligor.

The same lens mounted on my D300. No special care taken.

An image taken with this combo. I had to crank up the flash quite a bit, mostly because of the long bounce. This is at 5.6. Read the EXIF.

With nothing much to grind, how do you convert a lens like this to AI? The answer is you add to it, just as was done with my Vivitar 135/2.3.

A closer look.

Oct 11, 2011 at 02:24 AM
kavawavaphoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

Hey Elan, thanks again for this info. This really helps out a lot. I decided to take it slow and mount the 200mm on my D700 since the lens is completely flat with no ridges at the lens mount. Everything clicked into place very nicely.

Very clever what you did with the 135mm adding to the mount to bring it up to Ai.

I'll shoot some more with the 200mm this afternoon and report back, but so far so good!

Oct 11, 2011 at 02:35 AM
kavawavaphoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

Here are a few more with the lens straight onto the D700. So far no problems. First shot showing the setup. Seond two shot wide open at f/3.5. Straight out of camera, no edits other than resizing for web.

Some CA noticeable, but on the whole not too bad.

Oct 11, 2011 at 03:47 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

These look very nice. Looks like matrix is working. Is the last shot really f/22? Try shooting a portrait with it. It has the right kind of bokeh.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM
kavawavaphoto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Soligor 200mm f/3.5?

Thanks! The last shot is also at f/3.5. I think at that point I was messing around with the indexing tab with my finger to see how the aperture changes on the camera body.

The focus ring is fairly stiff, but it actually works really well for manual focusing since its very smooth. I'll have to see if I can get this out for some portraits, I think it will work well.

Thanks again for your help!

Oct 11, 2011 at 07:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password