Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              41      
       43       44       end

Archive 2011 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.42 #1 · p.42 #1 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Question for GXR A12 Mount users -- have any of you added a leather half case to your kit? I'm thinking I might do it to protect it just a bit and possibly make it even more comfortable to hold in hand for long periods. Or maybe it won't help... looking for real world evaluations and suggestions.

The official Ricoh leather case doesn't appeal much to me... I'm not a fan of beige on a camera. Or on me!

Also... are any of you protecting your rear LCD with a third party glass cover? I'd read elsewhere reports of the anti glare coating coming off. Ricoh seems to have improved the coating on more recent cameras, according to some reports, so perhaps there's no reason for fear... although I've no idea how recent a production batch my camera came from.

Mar 19, 2012 at 02:21 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.42 #2 · p.42 #2 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Michael: I bought a black leather case for GXR with M mount in Bangkok, stylish, well made and at a good price. I know they have plenty in stock too, saw at least fifteen of them for GXR M in store. I might be able to drum one up for you. Will try to post a picture of mine today, after work.

I honestly haven't used mine that much, but I will, now that I got a second GXR body, one of them will be permanently fitted with the half case. It is quite comfortable to hold, a little breaking in might make it even better. The original one is a joke, looks like eighties vinyl/pvc and the same color as a band aid...

Rear LCD coating seems to have improved, I wouldn't clean it too much/hard though. A protective skin, like for the iPhones would do the trick. I have had my first body since it came out and coating is still pristine.

I saw a very used GXR the other week, with the rubber peeling, that guy has pretty sweaty hands though.

+1 on your wish list, a superimposed frame would be nice.

/ Henrik

Mar 19, 2012 at 05:40 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.42 #3 · p.42 #3 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

If the half case on the back helps to avoid rubbing of the LCD against bag or clothing or other abrasions, that might be reason enough to put one on. So far mine looks just fine. Not even any nose prints, quite unlike what my X100 looked like after even a few minutes of shooting. For that reason I have become something of a fan of hot shoe mounted optional EVFs, but maybe also a faux pentaprism bump such as that which accounts for the integral EVF a la Olympus OM-D could also work... and on that camera you still have a hot shoe. Despite the Oly entrant, somehow I think we will see more faux rangefinder styles than smallish looking SLR echoes.

As for a black case that is well made, count me as interested.

The folks in charge of the beige case monstrosities could in no way be related to the GXR's design. Maybe it was Marc Newson's evil twin?

Mar 19, 2012 at 06:03 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.42 #4 · p.42 #4 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Michael, great idea, and only the day before yesterday I found myself experimenting with the 1:1 square frame (and still found myself turning the camera on its side to frame "portrait" shots! Being able to see past the frame is a GREAT idea.

Mar 19, 2012 at 06:21 AM
atran
• •
p.42 #5 · p.42 #5 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/leica-m10-with-sony-bw-sensor-and-ricoh-collaboration/
Perhaps Ricoh can produce a knock-off Ricoh A-10 for us with a FF color sensor instead of a BW one

Mar 21, 2012 at 05:14 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.42 #6 · p.42 #6 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

V1.50 of the firmware update is looking less and less good to me. They've broken the bit of functionality that stored the Name and Focal Length which could be saved in the My1,2,3 etc settings. I'd just started using this to tag which lens (well, my three most commonly used lens) I was using. V1.50 seems to break this.

https://cws.ricoh.co.jp/sss/Inq/inqInfo?name=dc_e_contact

For reporting this or any other issue you may have. I've reported it and know at least one other who has. If the feature is useful to you, please take a moment to report it as well.

Does anyone know if you can go down a version? I'm going to try.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.42 #7 · p.42 #7 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I have found that Mode 1 focus assist has been improved in 1.5

Does anyone know if there's a way you can set up the camera to toggle between modes?

BTW, I am in Torino today, preparing for work tomorrow (shorthand for "I have a day off and I cam make pictures and post in the Forum"!). I went past a camera store and played with an XPro1, with the 33mm lens: very nice handling, superb screen graphics, easily moved focus patch. Bigger and heftier than I thought it would be; very comfortable to hold.

I am waiting for someone to get one of the aftermarket M mounts, and see how the UWAs go, though, before I would spend thing money. I could definitely live with the XPro1 and the 30 lens as my go-everywhere camera. I really want to compare the NEX 7 and the XPro1 (both with compact 50mm EFOV lenses) before I jump, though (and the NEX 5N and the Perer wait at home; this combo might be perfect).

Body, build, fit: superb. The X100 was excellent in this regard, but for me, the XPro 1 is a step up.

Mar 22, 2012 at 07:32 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.42 #8 · p.42 #8 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Kit, are you sure about the Mode 1 improvement? I was reading a PDF document that listed this improvement, but I think that document might not have been specific to v1.50 but instead been a roll-up of all the firmware updates since the camera was introduced. I'd be happy to be wrong though, and regardless, the note gave me some incentive to switch to Mode 1 for a while to see how I get on with it. Jury still out.

In other GXR news, Sean Reid http://www.reidreviews.com/ published a piece on the 24-85mm zoom module. I still don't think it is for me and I have to admit that its looks have something to do with it.

But at least it doesn't look like a pound of butter.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.42 #9 · p.42 #9 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I just wanted to post my thanks to Henrik and others who opened my eyes to RPP. I am just amazed at how much better the RAW conversions are with this program compared to Aperture, with the Ricoh dng files at least. The amount of true detail in the files is staggering, and was often obscured by color artifacts on the Aperture conversions. When viewing the tiff's at full size, I don't even feel the need to add sharpening. It's not all roses, and there is still some artifact with challenging situations like fine rendered branches against bright backgrounds, but this is much more tamed with RPP.

Now if I could only find a better workflow. Aperture does its best to hide away the RAW files on import, and it is time consuming to process them one at a time. For some reason I'm having trouble importing the tiff back into Aperture as well, since it isn't as smoothly roundtripped as an actual plugin like the Nik software suite. I'm thinking that for now I'll just work on my favorites, and let Aperture do what it will to the rest of the files.

Mar 24, 2012 at 05:32 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.42 #10 · p.42 #10 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins wrote:
In other GXR news, Sean Reid http://www.reidreviews.com/ published a piece on the 24-85mm zoom module. I still don't think it is for me and I have to admit that its looks have something to do with it.

But at least it doesn't look like a pound of butter.

Yes, so now Ricoh appears to actually be using a non AA version of the 16MP sensor so the question is: When will they ship it in the M module?

Mar 24, 2012 at 01:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.42 #11 · p.42 #11 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Matt: no worries, really glad to be able to help out.
I just showed RPP conversions this morning for my friend who bought my Sony A900 and he was surprised by the rather obvious difference in RAW conversion output. It's been a while since I did batch processing in RPP but it works well. I save them to a "work in progress" folder for further processing and then work them one by one when my limited time allows me to and then save them to another folder.

Saw that you were Cappuccino cruising in Vienna, wish I could've joined in on that. Coffee and Cameras = good Conversation.

Tariq: latest info is that there is no planned release of the A16 in M mount.
My source and the Ricoh rep had been talking past each other and my source walked away thinking an A16 M mount was "in the works and almost done" when all the while the rep had been talking about the zoom module. The rep had answered on another question (shipping of the delayed A12 M mounts) during the same conversation and the vendor had mixed it all up and then the vendor has passed on the A16 M info to literally hundreds of customers, i.e. everyone who had either visited, emailed or asked in store about the A12 M mount...

I still thope (think/hope) the A16 M will happen, they will run out of the A12 M batch and then there will be no more 12MP sensors for another batch and with the apparent success of the A12 M mount an A16 M mount would make perfect sense and wouldn't cost Ricoh that much in further R&D since the module/platform is the same.

Now I wish I hadn't sold off my spare A12 M mount in anticipation of the A16 M mount.

Mar 24, 2012 at 02:12 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.42 #12 · p.42 #12 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Any mention of a possible 35mm M module from the Ricoh rep? I hope they can do it and it will be the way to leapfrog the current mirrorless offering.

Mar 24, 2012 at 04:18 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.42 #13 · p.42 #13 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Did not ask, sorry.

As Pentax is taking over Ricoh camera sales I am not sure on how much useful info we can get until all is settled. I am not sure I want Pentax to "handle" Ricoh sales.

Mar 24, 2012 at 04:32 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.42 #14 · p.42 #14 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Judging from Pentax's "mirrorless" camera, I don't have high hope

Mar 24, 2012 at 04:34 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.42 #15 · p.42 #15 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Hopefully the philosophy ends up Pentax for designer cameras and Ricoh for serious photographic equipment

Mar 24, 2012 at 04:37 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.42 #16 · p.42 #16 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

My main concern is Pentax sales reps showing little to no interest in selling Ricoh products meaning Ricoh sales will plummet, meaning Ricoh will cut back and eventually choke under the yoke.

In Japan I believe Ricoh is strong enough to survive on its own, but in Europe and in northern America sales channels are pretty thin as it is already.

Mar 24, 2012 at 06:14 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.42 #17 · p.42 #17 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Of course, there is that crazy rumor that Leica will be collaborating with Ricoh on the M10. If there is any truth to this, I expect that the current Ricoh M module will be a one off and never updated. Might be something to pick up now while they are available?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/leica-m10-with-sony-bw-sensor-and-ricoh-collaboration/

Mar 24, 2012 at 06:33 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.42 #18 · p.42 #18 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

The trump card for Ricoh is they can remind Pentax who bought who. Having once worked in a senior management team that seemingly did nothing but pursue, win, and integrate (some say decimate) acquisitions, I find it hard to believe that Pentax will always have the last say in strategy. If their culture is anything like what I've experienced in corporate America, Ricoh should still have plenty of say on developments going forward via trusted Ricoh insiders at a high level placed within the Pentax business unit.

Let's hope whoever was responsible at a senior level for approving the GXR developments including the Mount module is still in a decision making place.

Tariq, you voiced something I've been worrying about ever since I saw that rumour. If it were true I can see Ricoh deciding they could sell more M related products as a contractor to Leica.

Hopefully that wouldn't be the case even if it were true. Why can't history repeat with Ricoh producing a M mount camera co-branded with Leica, reminiscent of the Minolta-Leitz CL / CLE?

Mar 24, 2012 at 08:48 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.42 #19 · p.42 #19 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Hmm, that would explain the "silence" from Ricoh during the last year.

If Leica does try to keep a tab on the competition I am sure they must have been somewhat impressed by the A12 M module performance and sensor tweaking. From experience with both the M9 and the GXR M mount I find I have a lot less problem with moiré on the GXR M.

I am sure Ricoh will try to benefit from it, not only by selling a slot on the conveyor belts in their factories with only the silent gratitude from Leica and no new products of their own.

Mar 24, 2012 at 09:02 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.42 #20 · p.42 #20 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

So basically Leica will sell us a GXR M disguised in an M9 shell for 7K and call it M10. Cool! I want one

Mar 24, 2012 at 09:13 PM
       43       44       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

43       44       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password