Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              40      
       42       43       44       end

Archive 2011 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

aleksanderpolo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.41 #1 · p.41 #1 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Thanks for the link. I think the shot to shot time is one thing that they really need to improve on. So with raw only you can still see the image on LCD right?

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.41 #2 · p.41 #2 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Do you overexpose as RPP suggests?

I basically "expose to the right" when the light does not have too much of a brightness range, which here in Thailand is rare; so, generally, in the bright light here I expose for the highlights when I can.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Tristes Tropiques? No, They Have a Strip Mall in Chiang Mai Too

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.41 #3 · p.41 #3 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Thanks for the link. I think the shot to shot time is one thing that they really need to improve on. So with raw only you can still see the image on LCD right?

Yes, you can still review the images, but the image review zoom for focus check is only 3.4x and it looks like it's blowing up a low rez image - lots of jagged edges. Much worse than when zooming in on Jpegs (at 9.8x).

I did an informal test and if there is improved shot to shot speed, it is very minor when shooting only RAW - in the tenths of seconds range. It still takes in the neighbourhood of 1.5-2 seconds before the camera is ready for the next shot. Not a significant improvement in my opinion to shoot RAW only since it will slow down my editing process (where I rely on the JPEGs for quick image rendering to check focus).

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.41 #4 · p.41 #4 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Thanks, looks like there is no need to switch to raw only then unless it's for space saving...

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.41 #5 · p.41 #5 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

In the cold light of day I have to agree with Ron - the savings seems fairly minimal, and losing the better resolution for post-shot checks is a definite turn off for many.

As far as I can tell, once using a fast-enough card there are only two options you can disable that might improve shot to shot speed (other than disabling insta-chimp):

- JPG generation when shooting raw
- Noise reduction

I've not ever taken a serious look at the NR function of this camera; whatever setting I have had it on is either the default or my very first attempt at setting it up... I think I had it on an auto setting. I'm going to attempt to time shot to shot speed with either or both of these settings on disable.

Or I might not bother. With both disabled any improvement is fairly minor... but I do want to see what the effect of in camera NR is on the raw files, if any.

Edit: I thought there was a change made to focus assist in this revision due to a notation made in the PDF file which I could not link to a specific firmware update version in the web page listing of feature; I think that was just an oversight on their part or misunderstanding on mine. Mode 1 and 2 look identical to me. That said I'm going to switch to mode 1 for a while to see how that goes for me.

Edited on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.41 #6 · p.41 #6 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Incidentally in case anyone is still searching for the downloadable firmware file, they are at the very bottom of the page I first linked:

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/download/firmware/gxr/

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.41 #7 · p.41 #7 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Thanks Michael.

I am not sure this upgrade will do anything for me. IF the shot to shot speed would have improved that would have been great, but as for now I don't mind the twin Jpegs, good for sorting out images before processing

/ Henrik

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.41 #8 · p.41 #8 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Colour me shocked, shocked I say, at the underwhelming enthusiasm for V1.5. After all, V1.5 is half-way to V3.0. That alone is worth celebrating.

And there is at least one earth-shattering improvement that V1.5 brings... being able to tune at 1 minute intervals the sleep and power off settings.

Mar 15, 2012 at 01:17 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.41 #9 · p.41 #9 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Wow, I wish I could like, go back in time, and like, delete my previous post, and like be all, like WOOOW, halfway there!

(chewing my bubble gum while working my Blog)

the Phoblographer
(wait, is that taken?)

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:55 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.41 #10 · p.41 #10 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Possible v1.50 firmware bug?

Has anyone else noticed this? Set the camera to magnified focus assist, either normal mode or 'predator' (haven't tried the peaking focus assist), make an exposure. After the exposure, the magnified image appears again. Half-press the shutter release to see the unmagnified image. At this point, the image is always with a strong magenta cast. Release and half-press again clears it. The magenta cast does not appear if an image was made while the view was not magnified. This happens to me with both the EVF and the LCD display.

I have tried pulling the battery, removing the A12 module... still happens. It's not a big deal, but definitely a new 'feature' since the firmware v1.50 update.

Mar 17, 2012 at 01:37 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.41 #11 · p.41 #11 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

That's an odd one Ron - but I'm not seeing this (either the magnified image remaining nor the magenta cast) on my camera. I wonder what could be causing it?

In the Tools menu, last entry, check Firmware version - are both camera unit and body at 1.50?

Did you upload the version from the Japanese language page? I updated my camera with 1.50 from the English language page.

Mar 17, 2012 at 04:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.41 #12 · p.41 #12 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I used the update from the Japanese site. Just download from the English site, but the file zipped and unzipped is byte for byte the same size.

The firmware version report from the regular menu shows 1.50 for both body and module. The report created when holding down the - rocker and the image review button while the camera is off shows identical for both except for the MONI line, which is 1.01 for the body and 1.40 for the camera unit. The only other that isn't at 1.50 is CPU and both are 3.34.

I was on firmware version 1.40 prior to the update.

I reinstalled the firmware I had already downloaded - no change. I installed a fresh download off the English page - no change.

Mar 17, 2012 at 05:34 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.41 #13 · p.41 #13 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Strange bug, you should email Ricoh about it. They seem eager to deal with ironing out kinks, I think they haven't anticipated anything like this.

I haven't had time to upgrade yet, I will let the 1.50 simmer on the desktop pending further investigation.

Mar 18, 2012 at 03:19 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.41 #14 · p.41 #14 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I posted this wish list item for a future firmware update on another forum. What do you think?

What I'd like to see Ricoh provide in new firmware is the equivalent of a digital "rangefinder" viewfinder, available of course only in certain cropped aspect ratios.

Imagine the following - you like to shoot the square so you've set your camera to 1:1; currently the camera blacks out all but the 1:1 square in the centre of the rectangular sensor frame.

Why not show the full image to the viewfinder but superimpose brightlines where the right and left edges of the frame should be? Then you'd gain back one of the viewfinder advantages - seeing what lies outside the "framelines" which can
...Show more

Mar 18, 2012 at 03:16 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.41 #15 · p.41 #15 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Question for GXR A12 Mount users -- have any of you added a leather half case to your kit? I'm thinking I might do it to protect it just a bit and possibly make it even more comfortable to hold in hand for long periods. Or maybe it won't help... looking for real world evaluations and suggestions.

The official Ricoh leather case doesn't appeal much to me... I'm not a fan of beige on a camera. Or on me!

Also... are any of you protecting your rear LCD with a third party glass cover? I'd read elsewhere reports of the anti glare coating coming off. Ricoh seems to have improved the coating on more recent cameras, according to some reports, so perhaps there's no reason for fear... although I've no idea how recent a production batch my camera came from.

Mar 18, 2012 at 09:21 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.41 #16 · p.41 #16 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Michael: I bought a black leather case for GXR with M mount in Bangkok, stylish, well made and at a good price. I know they have plenty in stock too, saw at least fifteen of them for GXR M in store. I might be able to drum one up for you. Will try to post a picture of mine today, after work.

I honestly haven't used mine that much, but I will, now that I got a second GXR body, one of them will be permanently fitted with the half case. It is quite comfortable to hold, a little breaking in might make it even better. The original one is a joke, looks like eighties vinyl/pvc and the same color as a band aid...

Rear LCD coating seems to have improved, I wouldn't clean it too much/hard though. A protective skin, like for the iPhones would do the trick. I have had my first body since it came out and coating is still pristine.

I saw a very used GXR the other week, with the rubber peeling, that guy has pretty sweaty hands though.

+1 on your wish list, a superimposed frame would be nice.

/ Henrik

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:40 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.41 #17 · p.41 #17 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

If the half case on the back helps to avoid rubbing of the LCD against bag or clothing or other abrasions, that might be reason enough to put one on. So far mine looks just fine. Not even any nose prints, quite unlike what my X100 looked like after even a few minutes of shooting. For that reason I have become something of a fan of hot shoe mounted optional EVFs, but maybe also a faux pentaprism bump such as that which accounts for the integral EVF a la Olympus OM-D could also work... and on that camera you still have a hot shoe. Despite the Oly entrant, somehow I think we will see more faux rangefinder styles than smallish looking SLR echoes.

As for a black case that is well made, count me as interested.

The folks in charge of the beige case monstrosities could in no way be related to the GXR's design. Maybe it was Marc Newson's evil twin?

Mar 19, 2012 at 01:03 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.41 #18 · p.41 #18 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Michael, great idea, and only the day before yesterday I found myself experimenting with the 1:1 square frame (and still found myself turning the camera on its side to frame "portrait" shots! Being able to see past the frame is a GREAT idea.

Mar 19, 2012 at 01:21 AM
atran
• •
p.41 #19 · p.41 #19 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/leica-m10-with-sony-bw-sensor-and-ricoh-collaboration/
Perhaps Ricoh can produce a knock-off Ricoh A-10 for us with a FF color sensor instead of a BW one

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.41 #20 · p.41 #20 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

V1.50 of the firmware update is looking less and less good to me. They've broken the bit of functionality that stored the Name and Focal Length which could be saved in the My1,2,3 etc settings. I'd just started using this to tag which lens (well, my three most commonly used lens) I was using. V1.50 seems to break this.

https://cws.ricoh.co.jp/sss/Inq/inqInfo?name=dc_e_contact

For reporting this or any other issue you may have. I've reported it and know at least one other who has. If the feature is useful to you, please take a moment to report it as well.

Does anyone know if you can go down a version? I'm going to try.

Mar 21, 2012 at 06:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.