Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              35      
       37              43       44       end

Archive 2011 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.36 #1 · p.36 #1 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Ron, you are right about issue is only happen at extreme corner. I forget about APS-C factor. In that sense, Sonnar is the lens to have with duel charactor stop down and useable wide open.

Feb 28, 2012 at 07:45 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.36 #2 · p.36 #2 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

atran wrote:
In the mean time I want to ask if you guys can post some portrait samples with the ZM 35/2 and the GXR? Is it too clinical at f2-f2.8? I once tried to some portraits with my old 50D combo and ZE 35/2 and the results are massive amount of work in PP to fix up the skin imperfection

I know what you are talking about there - some lenses I just don't want to shoot portraits with. Maybe I'm still on the fence with respect to the Planar or Sonnar 50 after all, especially since for the foreseeable future it'll only be used on an APS-C camera.

If I find something that will help you atran I'll post it later this morning. It's time for sleep now in my time zone.

Feb 28, 2012 at 08:26 AM
Rich M
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.36 #3 · p.36 #3 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

There is something with the Sonnar and the sensor also.......not just APS-C ........but the shots with the Sonnar and the GXR are, in no other words, appealing to me.

I have shot it on my 5N and the shots hold no emotion. I'll shoot the Planar on the 5N. Funny.

For me, the center sharpness wide open is adequate and the edge fall off is exactly what I am looking for.

R

Feb 28, 2012 at 03:07 PM
partitura
• •
p.36 #4 · p.36 #4 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Kosmoskatten - will you let us know if you hear any news of an upgraded GXR body or M-mount module?

Feb 28, 2012 at 03:16 PM
atran
• •
p.36 #5 · p.36 #5 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Just for those who are interested in the 50 Sonnar, it's in stock right now at B&H photo. Be fast
@Mike: thank you very much.

Feb 28, 2012 at 04:11 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.36 #6 · p.36 #6 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

partitura: I am afraid I haven't spoken with the rep in a while. At the time they were fairly certain they would upgrade the A12 soon-ish. After the flooding and after the Pentax purchase there is a lot of reorganizing and restructuring. Apparently Pentax is taking over production of Ricoh cameras as well, what happens with the synergy - who knows?

There will be a little rummaging around I guess, before Ricoh and Pentax sort out their baggage and get on with it. Pentax have a fairly serious commitment with new lenses and that new camera and all that is backed up by Ricoh, financially.

There was talk recently about a GXR II with articulated LCD and if all things get sorted they might get back with yet another road map. I don't think they will scrap the GXR line, or the GRD line, but the CX cameras might be sucked up into the Pentax P&S program. I don't think they will lay down the Ricoh R&D but the merger will probably mean a little snooping around and possibly a R&D department merger.

I think development has stalled due to the merger but I also think Ricoh R&D consists of talented and committed people and that they can figure out where to go from here. I don't think anything will happen overnight but I guess both sides are keen on getting started.

RichM; very nice image. I like the drawing style of that lens.

Feb 28, 2012 at 05:11 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.36 #7 · p.36 #7 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Rich M wrote:
There is something with the Sonnar and the sensor also.......not just APS-C ........but the shots with the Sonnar and the GXR are, in no other words, appealing to me. I have shot it on my 5N and the shots hold no emotion. I'll shoot the Planar on the 5N. Funny.

I didn't much like the ZM25 Biogon on the NEX but am finding it works for me on the GXR. In my case the different experience might just be "love the one you're with" (youtube link to music) at work.

Rich I've been enjoying your Sonnar shots I've seen you publishing on another forum - all very nice, very compelling to me. Maybe I'll leave that order alone after all. Hopefully my Canadian connection for Zeiss will get his backorders filled sooner than later.

There's probably little risk in buying either - they'll eventually go out of stock world wide again and selling them for cost or more seems to be the going practice.

Feb 28, 2012 at 05:54 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.36 #8 · p.36 #8 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Rich M wrote:
There is something with the Sonnar and the sensor also.......not just APS-C ........but the shots with the Sonnar and the GXR are, in no other words, appealing to me.

I have shot it on my 5N and the shots hold no emotion. I'll shoot the Planar on the 5N. Funny.

Hmm, the Sonnar is one of my favorites on the 5N. Maybe, since AA-less cameras have slightly more DOF than AA'd cameras, you prefer the look of more DOF with the Sonnar on the GXR?

Sonnar on 5N, near wide open:

Feb 28, 2012 at 06:31 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.36 #9 · p.36 #9 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Got my Canon FD adapter last night so I am doing some testing

Canon FD 24/2.0

Feb 28, 2012 at 07:33 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.36 #10 · p.36 #10 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

That's a very nice image Douglas. Nice of the snow to show up for you!

Aleksander, I'm envious of your blossoms. We should start seeing them here in about a month or so, usually by Easter. Sadly often accompanied by lots of rain but what else is new here.

Atran, I took a quick snapshot of my youngest this morning on the way out the door. Shot at minimum focal distance more or less, wide open, ZM35/2. Shot at 800 ISO only because I forgot to change settings from the day prior. This is a heavy crop - the full image includes a tree growing out of his skull and more of his torso. I figured skin tones and texture were what you wanted to see...

Yes, he has a scar on his forehead and should have taken a cloth to his face a little more scrupulously before heading out to school this morning. Twelve year olds soon make way to teenagers.

Taken from a couple steps back, also wide open, entire image to give you an idea of the change in the background out of focus area.

Edited on Feb 28, 2012 at 07:53 PM · View previous versions

Feb 28, 2012 at 07:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.36 #11 · p.36 #11 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Thanks, Michael. The Sonnar is a cool lens, and I'm sure it's awesome on the GXR. The only issues that I have with it are some purple fringing in high contrast, wide aperture situations, but that's par for the course with this kind of lens. I'm getting so used to the ZM 35/2's near technical perfection that small issues with the Sonnar are exaggerated...and maybe even a nice change.

Feb 28, 2012 at 07:50 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.36 #12 · p.36 #12 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Rich M wrote:

I find I can tweak GXR files very similarly to M9 files. Rich, I don't remember if you're also using an M9... When I had the 5N and shot it side by side with the M9 with the same lens, I found the colour response to be somewhat different. Not necessarily worse, just different.

atran, sorry I don't have that lens. For portraits I like the CV40 f/1.4. It's not very sharp wide open, but has a nice quality to it. Kind of smooth with enough detail. For regular, more technical photography though, it can be quite vexing due to strong field curvature and focus shift.

Feb 28, 2012 at 07:55 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.36 #13 · p.36 #13 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Douglas, unlike the 25/2.8 which has taken some time for me to warm to, I really fell in love with the 35/2 on the NEX-5N while I had it. It's a great lens for that camera. A great lens for any camera no doubt.

Too many lenses, not enough cash to nab them all! I already own two very low distortion occasionally too perfect ZM lenses, so that's it... no more flip-flopping, I'm going to stick with my original plan and wait for the Sonnar. And I do think I'll sell the CV75.

Feb 28, 2012 at 08:01 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.36 #14 · p.36 #14 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I like the way the Sonnar draws an image and I think it will be swell for people shots and B&W work. It does seem kind of excessively purply fringy though, from the samples I have seen.
Much as I like it I don't think I'd swap my ZM 50/2 Planar for it.

(but, that's also because I have the VC35/1.2... )

Feb 28, 2012 at 08:04 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.36 #15 · p.36 #15 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

kosmoskatten wrote:
I like the way the Sonnar draws an image and I think it will be swell for people shots and B&W work. It does seem kind of excessively purply fringy though, from the samples I have seen.
Much as I like it I don't think I'd swap my ZM 50/2 Planar for it.

(but, that's also because I have the VC35/1.2... )

Yeah, I went back on forth on which ZM 50 to go with. Similarly, but opposite to you, since I usually use the ZM 35/2, having a more "vibey," fast lens at 50mm gives me more versatility, so I went Sonnar. Both are great in their own way, I'd say.

Feb 28, 2012 at 08:50 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.36 #16 · p.36 #16 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins wrote:
Douglas, unlike the 25/2.8 which has taken some time for me to warm to, I really fell in love with the 35/2 on the NEX-5N while I had it. It's a great lens for that camera. A great lens for any camera no doubt.

Too many lenses, not enough cash to nab them all! I already own two very low distortion occasionally too perfect ZM lenses, so that's it... no more flip-flopping, I'm going to stick with my original plan and wait for the Sonnar. And I do think I'll sell the CV75.

Yeah, I've become tired of flip-flopping, too, and it feels good to be settled on my lens lineup. I occasionally get the bug for other lenses, but I've been successful at staying away...at least for now!

The only thing that I don't love about the ZM 35/2 on the 5N is that there is a little bit of color shift. Most rarely notice it, but it bugs me, so I take the time to CornerFix it. Yet another reason for me to buy the GXR...

Feb 28, 2012 at 08:54 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.36 #17 · p.36 #17 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

douglasf13 wrote:
Yeah, I've become tired of flip-flopping, too, and it feels good to be settled on my lens lineup. I occasionally get the bug for other lenses, but I've been successful at staying away...at least for now!

The only thing that I don't love about the ZM 35/2 on the 5N is that there is a little bit of color shift. Most rarely notice it, but it bugs me, so I take the time to CornerFix it. Yet another reason for me to buy the GXR...

That makes three of us then. I am happy with all my lenses at the moment and I feel I made the right decisions when cutting a few. If anything, I still have a couple of lenses too many. But they don't take up all that much space.

EDIT; what bugs me a little is that I had two GXR's and two M mounts (I was on two waiting lists and they both delivered the same week...). As I considered the GXR a "sidekick camera" for a long time I did sell off one body and one M mount. Now I think I should have kept them as I have since sold the M9 and I think the GXR is an excellent stop gap solution despite some shortcomings and with the lens arsenal I have now I could use a spare M mount and almost certainly could do with another body too as I had the other dedicated to the other A12 modules. Bodies are really "cheap" here at the moment but I am waiting to see if there will be a GXR II, or at least if one will be announced before the summer. If so, I will make due with the one body until it arrives, whenever.

Feb 28, 2012 at 09:00 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.36 #18 · p.36 #18 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Yeah, I've recently prepared to sell all of my lenses outside of 5: the CV 15, ZM 35/2, ZM 50/1.5, Contax G 90 and Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 (I mostly just use the 15, 35 and 50....actually, I mostly just use the 35.) It's kind of liberating, as there have been too many cooks in the kitchen over here. I've been hanging on to my old NEX-5, as I wouldn't get much for it, and it's a good backup for the 5N.

Feb 28, 2012 at 09:28 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.36 #19 · p.36 #19 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Not sure if this image is worthy of this thread, but here's my Sonnar, it was the first week of my use of GXR-M. Could have focus better if I had learnt to use the 4x magnify all+predator mode earlier.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM
atran
• •
p.36 #20 · p.36 #20 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins wrote:
Atran, I took a quick snapshot of my youngest this morning on the way out the door. Shot at minimum focal distance more or less, wide open, ZM35/2. Shot at 800 ISO only because I forgot to change settings from the day prior. This is a heavy crop - the full image includes a tree growing out of his skull and more of his torso. I figured skin tones and texture were what you wanted to see...

Yes, he has a scar on his forehead and should have taken a cloth to his face a little more scrupulously before heading out
...Show more
Hi Mike, thank you very much. Tho shots looks fine to me, quite suitable for portrait for my taste. So I am set on the 35/2 ZM now just waiting for my 35/2 ZE to go perhaps I will try to get the 50 Sonnar down the road because of its rendering but definitely can't affort such a specialty lens for now.

Feb 29, 2012 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password