Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              33      
       35              43       44       end

Archive 2011 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

kosmoskatten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #1 · p.34 #1 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Catering to the audience:

R0012285 by koruNZ, on Flickr

The Voigt 35/1.2 wide open and close up. No sharpening in post. I think I might like this lens after all.

Another image:
ISO 320 1/60s at f1.2 and no post processing, right out of RPP and resized.

R0012286 by koruNZ, on Flickr

Crop from yet another...

R0012273v3 by koruNZ, on Flickr

Last image a feeble effort on my part, just a crop down of a not so good capture. Liked the eyes though.

Feb 20, 2012 at 09:10 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.34 #2 · p.34 #2 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Been using the GXR the last few days. The CV15 is definitely a winner. There is a touch of distortion, but around +4 in Lightroom will fix it nicely. But for the first time I have noticed what seems to be edge color shifts. Not nearly as bad as what I get on the M9... The edges seem to go cooler.. at least it's a lot less annoying than magenta:

In most normal situations it's not noticeable.

CV40 f/1.4 x2, CV15:

Henrik, congrats on the CV35 f/1.2. I like it a lot on the M9 and it seems to be good on the GXR as well from my experience. I think your assessment is pretty accurate. I found it took quite a bit of stopping down to bring up the corners for distant scenes, IIRC... but it's a lens I primarily use at 1-5m and f/2.8 and wider, where corners are not that critical. I think it has a bit of field curvature, which on the M9 is a bit of an issue when trying to do an off-centre composition.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.34 #3 · p.34 #3 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Ron, nice images, thanks for sharing, they look very crisp.

I haven't noticed edge/corner color shift yet. Your CV15 does not look to bad, the color shift is there but at least it is not magenta, or dual colored with different tones on opposite sides. You can probably dial in a very soft correction for that in the camera, if needed. I haven't tried it but I think you can dial in separate correction for every corner.

Feb 21, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #4 · p.34 #4 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Ron, I have not got around to dialling in any corner correction yet, either on the CV 12 or 15. I agree, it'd be worth trying, and probably only the minimum amount, which from memory ranges from -3 to +3. There are scant instructions in the manual (well, none at all, really!), so perhaps +1 would be the place to start. Not sure how you tell the camera to add this correction to a particular lens–module combo (that would be another selection and you'd have to save this).

I will do some playing with this, too. I think the same correction would work well with both lenses.

To the cognoscenti: what's the max. number of settings one can save IN the camera?

And @ kosmo; the one time I did look at the correction feature, I got the impression the one correction applied to all corners. Once I get back home, I will check.

Feb 21, 2012 at 09:24 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.34 #5 · p.34 #5 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I don't think I will bother with dialing in any correction. I change lenses a lot while I shoot and it would be a pain to have to remember to activate that setting. It's like setting manual lens coding with the M9... I have a tendency to forget that I've set it, then realize about 50 shots later when my 50mm images have been coded as 21mm (with 21mm colour cast and vignetting correction). Does it even affect the GXR's RAW files like lens coding correction does on the digital Ms?

I used the CV12 the same day as the CV15 shot of the scooter above and just like on the M9, it seems to have less corner/edge colour issues. Actually, on the GXR I can't see any colour issues in normal use... On the M9 the CV15 is probably the worst offender, perhaps tied with the ZM21 f/4.5 for edge vignetting and colour shifts, so it's no surprise that it's slightly more noticeable on the GXR.

Here's one with the CV12:

A bunch with the CV15:

I really like the 21mm equivalent focal length, and really like the overall image quality of the CV15 on the GXR... but the one thing I would love, is faster than f/4.5.... f/2.8 would be OK, but f/2 would be better... it's one aspect of the Fuji XP1 that is appealing - they apparently plan to release a 14mm, which one rep stated in an online interview will be f/1.4, which I kind of doubt... but still, if it's between f/2-2.8, it would be interesting.

I used the GXR for the first time in what I would consider a 'real' shooting environment, during the Fasching (Carnival) festivities here in Munich. The camera is nearly there for my needs, but the lock-up after each shot to clear the buffer was killing me today. Even though it's only one second or so, there were numerous situations where I would have taken a second picture within a second had the camera allowed me to do so. Instead I set it to continuous advance and would fire off 3-4 frame sequences, but then I would have to wait 6-8 seconds for the buffer and miss a whole bunch of other stuff. Obviously, it was necessary to anticipate and time shots more carefully. Sometimes this worked, other times not, which was understandable with the fluidly changing environment. Again, I loved the size of the camera, but some of the button placement was a bit too tight for easy adjustment while wearing (relatively thin) gloves. I mostly shot with the CV12, and some with the CV15, both at f/8 and used zone focus with the very deep depth of field and just guessed framing. I tried some shallow depth of field shots with the CV50 f/1.5, but it was really tough to nail precise focus when people were moving around. I still think the M's rangefinder patch is better for this, where with some practice I'm able to follow focus people walking towards me at wider apertures. For a general walk-around camera though, the GXR is excellent. For me it just needs more speed - faster buffer, no lock up to clear the buffer, immediate wake, very fast readiness for the next shot, etc. A higher rez sensor would also be nice. (sorry to beat a dead horse with these points - just hoping someone from Ricoh reads this thread and takes note of our suggestions/requests)

I did about 725 images with the GXR over the course of about 7 hours and went through 2.5 batteries, which was better than I expected, considering it was around freezing and I had the camera set to never power off, but sleep was set at one minute. It's about the same as the M9's battery use in similar situations.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.34 #6 · p.34 #6 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

You aren't truly beating a dead horse unless you also repeat - as we all do - the chorus: Deliver us a M Mount Module With A Full Frame Sensor! (in three-part harmony)

The camera is nearly there for my needs, but the lock-up after each shot to clear the buffer was killing me today. Even though it's only one second or so, there were numerous situations where I would have taken a second picture within a second had the camera allowed me to do so.

+1 Ron.

There's no reason why this can't happen in a GXR / M Mount update. If such an update would substantially catch up to the NEX-5N or stretch just a little further to catch up to the NEX-7 in shot to shot and overall buffering performance, I'd sure be a happy camper. Actually all I really need myself is to be able to depress the shutter button again almost immediately after an exposure and have the camera react right away... I don't need 12FPS and such.

That aspect of the camera is one of only two things I really miss about the NE, the other being certain qualities of the NEX 5N sensor in terms of resolution and higher sensitivity noise.

Feb 22, 2012 at 01:39 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.34 #7 · p.34 #7 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Yep, one of the main issues I have with the GXR is the buffer, it needs to at least clear faster. I don't really need a fast frame rate, but it would be nice to be able to snap... ...snap snap... ...snap continuously and have the buffer clear all the while you are shooting.

Of course I would love up to 4 fps up to twelve shots and fast clearing but if I can have at least continuous deliberate snapshot speed and have the buffer clear in the background with no lock ups I'd be happy with that.

For most of my shooting I am not depending on a large buffer and I rarely shoot that many frames - but sometimes you really need to have that shutter button ready to pop a photon or two - stat.

Feb 22, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.34 #8 · p.34 #8 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Ron wrote:

the lock-up after each shot to clear the buffer was killing me today.

Yep, this is the only real operational problem with the camera as it is (for street shooting only, though). For tripod work I have zero complaints.

Feb 22, 2012 at 09:32 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.34 #9 · p.34 #9 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Hey GXR A12 Mount folks, are any of you shooting the Zeiss ZM 50mm Planar? Any thoughts / surprises with this lens on the GXR?

Feb 25, 2012 at 04:55 AM
Rich M
• •
p.34 #10 · p.34 #10 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins wrote:
Hey GXR A12 Mount folks, are any of you shooting the Zeiss ZM 50mm Planar? Any thoughts / surprises with this lens on the GXR?

It shoots great.....NO surprises at all. IMO there are five ZM lenses that look extraordinary on the GXR....the 18/4, 25/2.8, 35/2, 50.2 and the 50 Sonnar. I am sure there are others to add too.

R

Feb 25, 2012 at 05:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dpandorf

p.34 #11 · p.34 #11 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I've been lurking on this thread off and on for a bit and thought I'd add one from my recently acquired Leica Summicron-C 1:2/40mm lens. BTW, I travel for my job and I get to see a lot of different hotel lobbies!

Hotel Lobby

Feb 25, 2012 at 06:15 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.34 #12 · p.34 #12 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Nice to see you post in this thread Duane. Let's see... three FM posts since 2002 - we'll see something else from you in 2016 or thereabouts?

I follow your blog and see your posts on other forums. Your "view from your office window" shots are great. It's been interesting and fun to see what you guys in the cockpit see.

Feb 25, 2012 at 06:53 AM
dpandorf

p.34 #13 · p.34 #13 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins wrote:
Nice to see you post in this thread Duane. Let's see... three FM posts since 2002 - we'll see something else from you in 2016 or thereabouts?

I follow your blog and see your posts on other forums. Your "view from your office window" shots are great. It's been interesting and fun to see what you guys in the cockpit see.

Thanks Michael, I was hanging around here a while back learning all I could about my Nikon D100 then D200. I kind of quit spending a lot of time on the forums and had lost some interest in photography for a while. However, this past spring I bought the Ricoh GRDIII for a long hiking trip and I fell in love again with photography.

Now that I'm shooting with the GXR my interest has really takin off and I have something to do in the hotel now while traveling vice watching the tube.

I'm here because you guys are shooting with the M mount and I know hardly nothing about M mount lenses. I knew there was some kind of special about Leica cameras but had really not paid much attention. You know, no auto focus, no VR, no whatever. But now I know just a little bit and my pocket book is already crying.

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:00 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.34 #14 · p.34 #14 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Rich M wrote:
It shoots great.....NO surprises at all. IMO there are five ZM lenses that look extraordinary on the GXR....the 18/4, 25/2.8, 35/2, 50.2 and the 50 Sonnar. I am sure there are others to add too.

I have the 18 | 25 | 35/2 but haven't been able to find a 50 Sonnar although did borrow one for awhile. Would love to shoot the Planar and Sonnar 50 side by side but am thinking I may prefer the more modern look after all... and it seems the Planar can be found a little easier of late.

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:12 AM
dpandorf

p.34 #15 · p.34 #15 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Those are all great focal lengths for this camera. I will just have to keep saving my pennies to build my kit!

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:13 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.34 #16 · p.34 #16 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins wrote:
I have the 18 | 25 | 35/2 but haven't been able to find a 50 Sonnar although did borrow one for awhile. Would love to shoot the Planar and Sonnar 50 side by side but am thinking I may prefer the more modern look after all... and it seems the Planar can be found a little easier of late.

The Sonnar suffers from focus shift (not a problem on the GXR) and unless you're looking for WO dreamy effect, not usable before f/2.8. The Planar has excellent contrast even WO and a pronounced threedimensional effect. IMHO, it is by far the better lens.,

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:32 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.34 #17 · p.34 #17 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Thanks for the detail - I sampled the Sonnar's dreamy effect and have come around to thinking that I don't need a lens that specialized. It is so very different than my other lenses and in a way that holds appeal but in this case I think I'd rather go with crisper and familiar.

Edward do you have the Tessar 85/4? I've been shooting a CV75/2.5 and while it is nice enough it hasn't really wowed me yet. I might be willing to give up some speed if the lens will feel familiar to me as a user of other ZMs. I also like how the ZM's feel, and the half stop increments on the CV75 do mess me up from time to time, being so used to 1/3 stops on the ZM.

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:52 AM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.34 #18 · p.34 #18 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

The lack of perceived sharpness of the Sonnar is definitely pronounced at the wider apertures. Its a wonderful effect for subjects that would benefit from it but the the problem definitely is being having to deal with it for subjects that don't benefit from it.

After all the samples I've flipped through on Flickr the Sonnar does really, really well with window light and various other indirect diffused light. I also see what Zeiss say when they talk about an almost rounder rendering to subjects at these larger apertures. I created a thread a month or two ago in regards to the "volumetric" look and this Sonnar seems to have it at its largest apertures.

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:57 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.34 #19 · p.34 #19 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins wrote:
Edward do you have the Tessar 85/4? I've been shooting a CV75/2.5 and while it is nice enough it hasn't really wowed me yet. I might be willing to give up some speed if the lens will feel familiar to me as a user of other ZMs. I also like how the ZM's feel, and the half stop increments on the CV75 do mess me up from time to time, being so used to 1/3 stops on the ZM.

Yes, I have the Tessar, but haven't used it often so far because of the small max aperture. I think it's a very nice performer with no apparent weaknesses. But I am not sure how it compares to other short teles. Will try to post some photos.

Feb 25, 2012 at 08:30 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.34 #20 · p.34 #20 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Michael W; the ZM50 Planar works a charm, as others have stated. It has no apparent weaknesses and does really well. It resembles the Leica Summarit 75/2.5 and it can be hard to tell the pictures apart, both are very sharp and quite contrasty.

As it seems the Summarit lenses and the ZM's mix well.

Feb 25, 2012 at 08:39 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password