Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28      
       30              43       44       end

Archive 2011 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #1 · p.29 #1 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

It might be fun to send a note to Ricoh Germany asking if it is possible to replace the sensor board in the A12 with the sensor board from their upcoming 36 megapixel full frame sensor, just to see if they bite.

Feb 14, 2012 at 05:07 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.29 #2 · p.29 #2 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Henrik, yes, I hope it will be done soon. That's basically the only reason that is keeping me from getting the GXR. Btw, good to know the 35/1.2 is safe and sound. What took it so long?

Feb 14, 2012 at 05:09 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.29 #3 · p.29 #3 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

MichaelW:

Ed: it arrived at the airport just before the weekend and was held hostage over the weekend. Yesterday they apparently tried to deliver it to my door but since I was at work I got a notice and after they completed the route yesterday they left it at my nearest collection point, 2 min from home. So I picked it up straight after work today.

Feb 14, 2012 at 05:18 PM
sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #4 · p.29 #4 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

edwardkaraa wrote:
So what's keeping Ricoh from putting that 16mp sensor in the M module, so that I could finally get one?

Don't wait. I am enjoying mine for month's already. The files can, with the right lenses, FA the Zeiss 25 Biogon, be compared to my 24 MP Sony NEX files. Very crisp, sharp and good colours. A fine camera.
Yes I know all the cons Tilting LCD, better EVF etc etc. It simply delivers.

Michiel

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:43 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.29 #5 · p.29 #5 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Further on the sensor swap, another person has contacted Ricoh and was told "no way", chalking the entire affair up to a bit of call centre misinformation (as expected).

Well... it was nice to dream. In the meantime, Michiel is absolutely right, as is the camera already delivers.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.29 #6 · p.29 #6 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

kosmoskatten wrote:
Douglas; the Pentax Q seems very niche, possibly a wink to the old miniature Pen cameras. But from thought to execution of the idea? I think the whole Q system is a mistake.

With the K-01... ...I don't know. That large a body and no EVF? They hire a "famous" designer and he is obviously not so well versed in designing cameras. Heck, I could design a better camera in a day, ergonomically. It is not that the K-01 is ugly, but it is clearly not properly designed - a camera that you have to hold up with arms bent/stretched
...Show more

Agreed. To tell you the truth, and I should obviously tread lightly in this thread, I think Ricoh lost their way with the GXR concept, too. It has been more interesting to me since the M module came out, but I'd much rather keep the same lenses for several years and upgrade the camera body, occasionally, rather than buy sensors and lenses that are fused. Of course, the M module is a different story, but I'd still rather have it in a thinner, dedicated M body, or, better yet, with another shallower mount that takes M lenses via adapter. Essentially, I'd like to see a more "traditional" Ricoh mirrorless system, and I was hoping that's what Pentax would deliver in the K-01.

I've been seriously been considering the GXR + M module, but that's despite the odd system design, not because of it.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.29 #7 · p.29 #7 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

The body cost only € 255,--. It is cheaper to swap this body for an upgraded body then one of its lensunits.
The M mount being a little bigger then the other units adds just the right volume to the body which is rather small but very sturdy. I have no problems with the design, on the contrary, it handles great (great interface) and it looks and feels like a Photographic tool.
The M mount handles all the M mount lenses really well. All the wide angles shine. Infinity is perfect, so no hassle with the cheap adapters. (Athough I bought a bunch of to Leica mount adapters

Michiel

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.29 #8 · p.29 #8 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

sculptormic wrote:
The body cost only € 255,--. It is cheaper to swap this body for an upgraded body then one of its lensunits.
The M mount being a little bigger then the other units adds just the right volume to the body which is rather small but very sturdy. I have no problems with the design, on the contrary, it handles great (great interface) and it looks and feels like a Photographic tool.
The M mount handles all the M mount lenses really well. All the wide angles shine. Infinity is perfect, so no hassle with the cheap adapters. (Athough I bought
...Show more

I hear you, and, as I mentioned, it does make more sense to me with the M module, but I'd still prefer a native Ricoh mount or something. Not being able to use a Hawk's helicoid is a big disadvantage with the M module, for me.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.29 #9 · p.29 #9 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I miss the Hawk's adapter but not enough to go back. Sure would like to find a M-M mount extension tube as a next-best solution.

Feb 15, 2012 at 01:49 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.29 #10 · p.29 #10 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Douglas, re. the Hawk's helicoid: agree completely—but there is the excellent A12 50 macro that lives on the GXR when the M is resting.

And I know there's an argument for lenses and sensors to be separate, but what I like about the 50 module is no chance of dust. I have had two dust bunnies on the M module. And (this is just me) I know that when the 16 modules start coming out, the A12 ones will still be able to be used (or to be sold). Because the lens–sensor combos are relatively so cheap (about the same cost as one of the CV lenses, for example) and they work so well, I am just using them alongside the M module. I guess that apart from a few of the CV lenses, I am moving to relating to all gear as essentially temporary.

The CV lenses that I find simply stellar on the M module are the CV 12/5.6, the CV 35/1.7 and the 50/1.5. These are keepers. You can see the overlap in the lenses (the 35/1.7 and the 50 module; very close FOV, but the 50 macro lens is AF, too, and that's very handy sometimes.

Feb 15, 2012 at 02:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimBuchanan
• • •
p.29 #11 · p.29 #11 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

michaelwatkins wrote:
I miss the Hawk's adapter but not enough to go back. Sure would like to find a M-M mount extension tube as a next-best solution.

Mentioned before, but the Leica OUFRO / 16469Y is a heavy 65g nickel brass 10mm extension that is M-M mount. Going price could be as much as the Hawk adapter. I find the extension to be a bit much as the 50mm M Summicron has about 4.5mm travel between min and max focus, so with the OUFRO attached, focus is way down sub-minimal focus distance of the lens.

Feb 15, 2012 at 04:34 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.29 #12 · p.29 #12 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Ah thanks for the reminder.

I wonder if it would be possible to have one of these planed down to a thinner thickness.

In a moment of weakness I bought one off eBay just now. Will do some work with it using a variety of focal lengths and report back...

Feb 15, 2012 at 05:18 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.29 #13 · p.29 #13 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

sculptormic wrote:
Don't wait. I am enjoying mine for month's already. The files can, with the right lenses, FA the Zeiss 25 Biogon, be compared to my 24 MP Sony NEX files. Very crisp, sharp and good colours. A fine camera.
Yes I know all the cons Tilting LCD, better EVF etc etc. It simply delivers.

Michiel

Thanks for the encouragement. I do however have some reservations about the pixel density and moire. It is true that 12 mp on APS-C has a much higher density than the FF M9, and a still higher than the 24mp FF sensors, but I still think a 16mp sensor (equivalent to about 38-39 mp FF) would be perfect.

Feb 15, 2012 at 07:43 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.29 #14 · p.29 #14 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Ed; moiré is not a real issue on the GXR M. It is pretty hard to provoke it, I tried some obvious moiré traps the other day but... ...nothing. Fabrics, repetitive patterns and such was fine, cat fur too. I have managed to provoke it on a loudspeaker grille, a white one. It was a moiré inducing object for sure. But, it did clean up fine in post.

At a distant fence right outside I also tried with the Leica M 75 shot wide open, and the moiré was very mild, barely visible.

Of course the GXR M is not entirely moiré resistant, but if I really have to push it to make it happen I don't find it a problem.

The M9 is much worse when it comes to moiré and I sure don't miss that.

And, of course, I am looking forward to a pixlier sensor, eventually.

Feb 15, 2012 at 04:09 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.29 #15 · p.29 #15 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Too bad I missed the opportunity back in December when the whole package was on 40% off promotion.

Feb 15, 2012 at 04:25 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.29 #16 · p.29 #16 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

That would have been a steal for sure. Prices in BKK, at least the package deals at your local pusher around Bangrak Robinson, are pretty good.

No rush though, huh?

Feb 15, 2012 at 04:39 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.29 #17 · p.29 #17 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Hey fellow GXR users, I alluded to Edward that I'd had some issues with color artifact on the 12mp module, and figured I'd post them here. I just got my hands on a ZM 25mm, which is ridiculously sharp, and as such I'm seeing more color artifact than I was getting with my adapted CV SL-II lenses. I'll put up the full image and crops at 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, and 22. The full image is the f/5.6 version. Unfortunately, the color artifacts persist even with downsizing significantly, if you look at the dividers on the window panes, let alone the more subtle color artifact at the horizontal siding borders. I found that it is minimal at f/11 and gone at f/16, but even with optimal sharpening I can't get back the detail present at f/5.6 Hopefully the 16mp sensor version comes out soon. The 24mp NEX-7 sensor without AA filter would be optimal. Fortunately, in most circumstances the GXR files are easy to work with and the artifact is not noticeable, but it would be nice to see less of it on the newer module.

Feb 15, 2012 at 06:09 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.29 #18 · p.29 #18 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I get this difference:

F11, sharpened

And just a repeat copy link of your F5.6 for reference:

I know which I would prefer. Even though the jpg compression makes much of the surface structure sharpening impossible.

If you could send me a 16-bit tiff I'd be happy to make a sharpening guideline for diffraction limited shots, and this type of content is almost ideal.

Feb 15, 2012 at 06:34 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.29 #19 · p.29 #19 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Douglas, re. the Hawk's helicoid: agree completely—but there is the excellent A12 50 macro that lives on the GXR when the M is resting.

And I know there's an argument for lenses and sensors to be separate, but what I like about the 50 module is no chance of dust. I have had two dust bunnies on the M module. And (this is just me) I know that when the 16 modules start coming out, the A12 ones will still be able to be used (or to be sold). Because the lens–sensor combos are relatively so cheap (about the
...Show more

Yeah, I'm just not interested in investing in lenses that will more than likely loose quite a bit of value over time, because they're tied to a rapidly evolving sensor technology. Either way, I'd only be using M lenses on the M module, so it doesn't apply to me. I was just pointing out that I think Ricoh and Pentax's overall mirrorless plans have been odd, IMO.

As far as moire is concerned, the comparison raws of the 5N and GXR that I have with the CV 15/4.5 clearly show moire in various buildings in the background with the GXR file.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.29 #20 · p.29 #20 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Wow, this moire is worse than I would have expected because while it is occurring with repetitive elements, the elements are really not that small, fine and closely spaced. Perhaps this is happening due to the low 12MP resolution?

Feb 16, 2012 at 01:30 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password