Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              43       44       end

Archive 2011 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

So, how are things going with the M module? Would love to see some images.

Sep 24, 2011 at 03:19 AM
SpanishDoug
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Very well! I just did a shoot at my wife's theater last night. Here's a few shots with the 35/1.2:

Sep 30, 2011 at 08:45 PM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

As soon as I saw the initial results from my new GXR M-Module and the Elmarit-21 ASPH, I sold my A12/50 and A12/28 camera units. I find that I get much better results with the GXR M-Module than I ever got with the Leica M8.2. No use to consider high-ISO shots because, for those, the GXR M-Module is clearly better. But if I Iook at some pictures I took at the base ISO of the M8 (160), the colors and resolution, to me, looks substantially better in the M-Module files, which has a carity and transparency in the colors and a resolution that the M8 files just don't achieve, not to speak of better white balance.

For colour, usually all I need is a mild contrast increase and, as far as the B&W is concerned, as soon as I bring files into Silver Efex they often are almost as I want them to be anI just add some small tweaks, and often, at least at high ISO, don't even use one of the film simulations that have grain. When I brought M8 files into Silver Efex, I had to do much more processing. You can see my M-Module pictures with the Elmarit-21 ASPH by clicking here, and some pictures with the Zeiss 4/18 Distagon by clicking here. And here is a thread with some information on shooting with the M-Module. The following is the pictures, taken of the receptionist of the Thai Ricoh Camera importer when I tried out the camera that made me decide to buy it. It's taken with the DR Summicron-50 at f/2 in awful light, a mixture of fluorescent and tungsten (80% crop, at ISO 1250):

Here is a picture with the Elmarit-21 ASPH (at ISO 800):

Note: see improved version below in post #21 developed in RPP.

Another one with the Elmarit-21 ASPH (at ISO 3200)

And here is one with the Zeisss 4/18 Distagon (at ISO 2500):

I've just included the last three because I like them, but you'll get a better sense of the M-Module form the links I posted above. The unit really lets the characteristics of each lens come through.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Paris au ryhtme de Basquiat

Edited on Oct 27, 2011 at 08:11 AM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Thanks for posting these Mitch. I had a quick look at your M module images on Flickr and the RFF thread and initial impression is the colour quality seems to be similar to what I see from the M9, which is reassuring as it will make mixing the two during shoots easy to handle in post.

Ron

Oct 06, 2011 at 09:13 PM
agnius

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

After months of soul searching I placed an order for GXR and Leica M module.

Thank you everyone for posting images (especially Mitch), I look forward to supplement/replace my Canon system.

What made me choose GXR over NEX-7? I feel Ricoh is more photographer oriented company than Sony. Also, I liked colors people were getting from their files (Spanish Doug bicycle guy). I have had Ricoh p&s in my youth and had good experiences with it, so that sealed the deal. This will be my first digital Ricoh camera.

Again, thank you all!

Oct 26, 2011 at 04:41 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Agnius, I'm sure you'll love. Since starting to shoot with the GRX-M, I also started using Raw Photo Developer 64 (RPP), a Mac-only shareware program, to develop the DNG files. It's been a revelation because RPP does a much better job in raw development than Aperture or Lightroom: it simply produces better resolution and better color. Considering how good the GXR-M files are, it's worthwhile to optimize their quality by using RPP. You can see some example of the results in images shot with the GXR-M and the Leica Elmarit-21 ASPH lens by clicking here.

Below is the RPP-developed version of one of the pictures I posted above. While it's not the best example of the markedly better resolution produced by RPP, I like the color rendition better than the Aperture-developd version above.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai
Ricoh GXR M-Module

Oct 26, 2011 at 04:53 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I've just put together a series of photographs called Days and Nights in the Forest. The title comes from the masterpiece of the same name by the great Bengali film maker, Satyajit Ray, about which his biographer, Andrew Robinson, in Satyajit Ray: The inner Eye writes: "The theme of Days and Nights might be said to be the way in which urban living cuts us off from each other and from our true environment and blunts our moral sense, though it is never stated as openly as this". You can see the series by clicking here.

This series currently had 26 photographs some of which I may eventually cut and and I may add others. I am aiming for about 60 photographs, if that doesn't make the series too boring. All 26 pictures were taken with the GXR, of which 18 were with the M-Module — all with the Elmarit-21 ASPH lens except one that was taken with the Zeiss 4/18mm.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai
Days and Nights in the Forest

Nov 02, 2011 at 06:18 AM
agnius

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Just received GXR-M module, and took it for a spin on a cloudy, snowy day at Yosemite.

I shot with antique 21mm f4.5 Biogon - mostly at f5.6 or f8. I really like the skin tones of this combination, as well as the sharpness. However, I wish I had an even wider lens - will have to look into the options.

Edited on Nov 08, 2011 at 06:49 AM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2011 at 08:00 PM
atran
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I am looking forward for more samples. I am being torn between Ricoh GXR and Nex system to use M-mount lenses The Nex-7 is nice size with lots of nice features but I am not certain about the need of 24 MP, the GXR is native M-mount but I am not sure if 12MP would be ok despite I don't print large that much

Nov 07, 2011 at 08:59 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

A sample with the A12/28mm lens, shot at f2.8:

Colors are a bit anemic for web, I have been playing around with RPP some and I am slowly getting the hang of it. GXR does a good job with jpeg, but as with most cameras you may need to tinker with the settings a wee bit.

I also have the NEX5N, and it will be possible for me to do direct comparisons between the GXR M mount and NEX5N with the same lenses. Just haven't had time yet really. OOC Jpegs are done in an instant though, but I am not sure what to make of such a comparison.

I haven't more than one week of work left before taking a longer break and then I could muster up a few comparisons.

The GXR handles beautifully, the NEX5N; not so bad, but not great. I know which camera I much prefer. Peaking mode on the GXR works better for me. I still have hopes for a GXR II with a tiltable LCD, that would be very velcome. The NEX5N has an advantage with the Hawk's adapter (for Leica M and ZM glass) as it allows for close focus. Something the GXR M mount is crippling with. But, since I have the excellent A12/50 macro I can't really complain.

Nov 07, 2011 at 09:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

atran
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

kosmoskatten wrote:
A sample with the A12/28mm lens, shot at f2.8:
Colors are a bit anemic for web, I have been playing around with RPP some and I am slowly getting the hang of it. GXR does a good job with jpeg, but as with most cameras you may need to tinker with the settings a wee bit.

I also have the NEX5N, and it will be possible for me to do direct comparisons between the GXR M mount and NEX5N with the same lenses. Just haven't had time yet really. OOC Jpegs are done in an instant though, but I am not
...Show more
That would be great to hear your perspective, I am still debating between the Nex line and Ricoh GXR as a budgetary method to be able to use M-mount lenses
What lenses you are planning to test the Nex 5N and the GXR M mount with?
Thank you very much.

Nov 07, 2011 at 10:26 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

And an earlier one with the GXR A12/50mm macro module:

Wide open at f2.5, Jpeg, slightly tuned in PS.

Nov 07, 2011 at 10:30 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

atran:
I have the following lenses at my disposal:
M-Rokkor (summicron-ish) 40/2
ZM 18/4
ZM25/2.8
ZM50/2
Contax G 45
Contax G 90

You can't really go wrong with either camera.

To me the GXR has an advantage with the 28mm and 50mm modules, although I think the macro 50 was a bit expensive. The 28 is not expensive for such a great lens, or lensor. Also, I have heard that Ricoh will release a (approx) 24-85mm APS-C sensor zoom next year.

Nov 07, 2011 at 10:33 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Uh oh, Henrik is starting to make me think the correct answer for wither GXR or NEX is "buy both".

(I won't be doing that myself!)

Nov 07, 2011 at 10:42 PM
atran
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

kosmoskatten wrote:
atran:
I have the following lenses at my disposal:
M-Rokkor (summicron-ish) 40/2
ZM 18/4
ZM25/2.8
ZM50/2
Contax G 45
Contax G 90

You can't really go wrong with either camera.

To me the GXR has an advantage with the 28mm and 50mm modules, although I think the macro 50 was a bit expensive. The 28 is not expensive for such a great lens, or lensor. Also, I have heard that Ricoh will release a (approx) 24-85mm APS-C sensor zoom next year.

Great, I am looking at the ZM 18/4 and ZM 25/2.8 if I buy Nex or GXR, too. Look forward to your comparison.
Seriously sometimes I think FM Alternative forum should setup some kinds of review fund that can support FM-ers to rent equipment for testing. Pretty certain it would beat most of the paid reviews we have on the internet
Thank you,
An

Nov 07, 2011 at 10:43 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Having had both the nex 5, 5N as well as the GXR with 28 & 50 lenses, you can't go wrong with the 5N or GXR. I loved the GXR and got rid of it for another X100 and am wanting another. I got rid of it as I bought it and the 5N would overlap somewhat and ultimately didn't want to pay a premium price for the M mount module as I don't even have M mount glass... However, the 28 & 50 modules are outstanding in my books especially as I bought both for a great price. Also, 12mp is plenty for printing large.

Nov 07, 2011 at 11:45 PM
agnius

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

I was set on getting NEX 7, but with production disturbances in Thailand I opted for GXR-M (as I was gonna use M glass anyways).

After getting the camera and then M module last week this is what I have discovered:

Using 21mm f4.5 lens - focus peaking is pretty useless as DOF is too great. Using magnification saves the day.

EVF is ok but no necessary. With 21mm I am mostly shooting using zone focusing.

I wish I had even wider lens. I am used to 21mm perspective, so 14mm would be in order, but the choices are limited to VC 12mm, VC or Zeiss 15mm, and Leica 16-18-21mm. I am leaning towards Zeiss especially if I can find good copy used. Also, I would like to know if there would be any red or blue fringing using lens this wide. Not having to deal with it in post saves time.

I have made 30x40" prints from Canon 5D, and I feel on pixel level GXR-M is even sharper than 5D, so printing big should not be a problem.

Best of luck,
Agnius

MyBlog

Nov 08, 2011 at 01:41 AM
jv11

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Hey Agnius,

Have you tried mode 2 of focus assist? It works much better than the default mode 1 in my opinion.

I use the voigtlander 12mm on mine and it works great with no post.

agnius wrote:
I was set on getting NEX 7, but with production disturbances in Thailand I opted for GXR-M (as I was gonna use M glass anyways).

After getting the camera and then M module last week this is what I have discovered:

Using 21mm f4.5 lens - focus peaking is pretty useless as DOF is too great. Using magnification saves the day.

EVF is ok but no necessary. With 21mm I am mostly shooting using zone focusing.

I wish I had even wider lens. I am used to 21mm perspective, so 14mm would be in order, but the choices are limited to VC 12mm, VC
...Show more

Nov 08, 2011 at 01:52 AM
agnius

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Thanks for the info, it is good to know that cv 12mm doesn't need any extra processing by corner fix. How about CV 15mm?

jv11 wrote:
Hey Agnius,

Have you tried mode 2 of focus assist? It works much better than the default mode 1 in my opinion.

I use the voigtlander 12mm on mine and it works great with no post.

Nov 08, 2011 at 03:39 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Still no love for the Ricoh GXR?

Agnius: if the 12mm works, being on the extreme side of lenses, I think the 15mm should be fine. The samples I've seen does not seem to have any issues with color cast or smearing. So, with 99% certainty: no problem.

Focus assist mode 2 works much better, I never use mode 1 anymore.
I have configured the magnification on one hard button, focus assist on another and then I can toggle both with the shutter button to normal view so I can work the composition.
I have the movable cursor set on the adj button menu if I need to off center the focus point/magnification.

Since I don't have a zoom lens I have configured the zoom button for exposure comp, as I have on the GRDII. With the possible introduction of a 24<85mm/2.8 I might have to stick with exposure comp on the dedicated +/- button.

For handling, GXR is one of the best cameras out there. With a tiltable LCD and new/better EVF it would be a superb little outfit.

Nov 08, 2011 at 07:48 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password