Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

lms1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

I am thinking of selling my Zeiss 21 and replace with the Canon TSE.

My Zeiss is a great lens, however I find it too wide for most of my applications.
The 24 would take care of many applications and of course being a TSE is the bonus.

Has anyone else had the same dilemma?

Larry

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:30 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

The 24 TSE II is really an exceptional lens and has less distortion, though it is perhaps not as sharp at large apertures as the 21/2.8. The 24 TSE II can do a 3-pan stitch to cover twice the area of FF (36x48mm) when more width is needed. That is about the angle of 18mm in width. To me the 21/2.8 still has some uses and is easier to handle so I would keep both if possible. The 24 TSE II would be the lens to keep if I could only keep one for landscape and architecture.

EBH

Aug 30, 2011 at 01:13 AM
ViscaB
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

I own the Canon and love it. Fantastic sharpness and (micro) contrast. And the ability to shift opens up so many options. When I use one of my non-shift lenses I feel so limited. The other key advantage is the lack of distortion compared to the Zeiss. Just keep in mind it's not weather sealed.

As you can read on Photozone.de the TSE-24 II has superb sharpness. Even at larger apertures it holds up in the corners. And the center sharpness is crazy. If I'm not interpreting the numbers wrongly the TSE even outperforms the Zeiss in their test.

Edited on Aug 30, 2011 at 05:27 AM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2011 at 04:31 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

I also have both and agree with EB-1 and ViscaB. I hate to tell you, but the angle of view is very similar between the 21 and 24, not really much difference really. If I had to choose, I would also pick the 24TSII over the ZE 21/2.8 by a very slim margin.

If 21 is too wide, you probably need a 28mm. Therein lies the rub: I don't know of a great auto-aperture 28 to mount on the Canon FF body.

Aug 30, 2011 at 04:36 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

Larry, if you are hoping for the Canon to do everything the Zeiss does, and then some, you are headed for disappointment. Both are superb lenses, each with its strong points. If the focal length is the only issue you have with the Zeiss, they should release a 25mm f:2.0, rumoured to be "as good as the 21", which could be your cup of tea. If you want to tilt and shift, the TS-E is the only game in town. But dont expect Zeiss colours and contrast from it.

Aug 30, 2011 at 04:44 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

Since I own both the 24 TSE II and the Zeiss 21/2.8 ZE since they were first introduced in the US, I would like to add my experience to this thread.
The TSE is great for unique perspectives, like very close to the ground. I find myself using it often to add new drama to a scene with lots of tilt:

Tilt adjustments require a tripod, Live View 5-10X adjustments and considerable care. Shift adjustments are not as sensitive and can be done with a viewfinder.

These types of low angle landscape views are not everyone's cup of tea. However, I have found that with this lens in the bag I will look for angled shots much more frequently.

The Zeiss 21 really excels at sweeping, expansive style shots, where the corner sharpness really helps your eye follow the detail and lines of the scene to the edge of the frame. The edge definition is an important part of that expansive feeling.

It is no wonder that this is a "legendary" landscape lens.

Comparative IQ:
Sharpness is really excellent on both lenses, as is the lack of CA. Unshifted the TSE may have even less CA than the Zeiss. As a UWA lens the Zeiss is not too fussy about focus, especially nearing infinity distances. Thus its much more amenable to hand held use, if needed. I use PT Lens during RAW conversion to deal with the Zeiss mustache distortion. The IQ of the TSE degrades significantly at extreme shift, although its normally not too evident in 3 shot shift panos. The Zeiss does have a wee bit better better micro contrast and richer color, but the TSE is far better at this than most Canon Ls, probably because of the lack of CA. Both lenses use 82mm front threads, and I have on occasion used CPL with them when there wasn't too much expanse of sky. More frequently I have used Lee GND filters with both of these lenses with a modified Cokin Z holder and 82mm lens adapter.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34697350

Overall the TSE is more valuable to me as it provides a very different kind of creative capability that is not shared by other lenses in my bag.
Mike K

Aug 30, 2011 at 05:01 AM
Super Angulon
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

Larry, if you think 21 is too wide, the 24 is not much different in angle of view. Maybe 28 is the suitable wide lens for you in that case I would suggest zeiss 28/2 ze.

Aug 30, 2011 at 05:19 AM
artd
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

Gunzorro wrote:
I also have both and agree with EB-1 and ViscaB. I hate to tell you, but the angle of view is very similar between the 21 and 24, not really much difference really. If I had to choose, I would also pick the 24TSII over the ZE 21/2.8 by a very slim margin.

If 21 is too wide, you probably need a 28mm. Therein lies the rub: I don't know of a great auto-aperture 28 to mount on the Canon FF body.

Simple, just crop the 24TSEII to get to 28

Aug 30, 2011 at 05:23 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

Give that man (or woman) a prize!

Aug 30, 2011 at 05:28 AM
photomadnz
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

http://www.proimagenz.com/blog/zeiss-21mm-vs-canon-ts-lenseshtml

Aug 30, 2011 at 05:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

I also have those two lenses. And both are excellent. I would say it depends on if you use tilt/shift. If you know that you need tilt/shift the answer is, replace your Zeiss 21. But I would not buy the rather expensive TSE lens if I didn't really use tilt/shift.
If you can afford it buy the TSE and keep the Zeiss. They are two unique lenses

Aug 30, 2011 at 05:45 AM
Littlebike
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

I have the 24 TS-e II and it is phenomenal. It is unbelievably sharp.

Aug 30, 2011 at 03:13 PM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

I own both as well. As Lars says if you know you'll need tilt/shift, then replace the Zeiss. Both are exceptional, if I were pushed to keep just one, it would be the 24 TS-E II, in a heartbeat.

Aug 30, 2011 at 04:21 PM
nikey
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

Littlebike wrote:
I have the 24 TS-e II and it is phenomenal. It is unbelievably sharp.

I also have 24 TSE II but only used it once. Shame on me

Aug 30, 2011 at 04:42 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

nikey wrote:
I also have 24 TSE II but only used it once. Shame on me

These newer Canon TSE lenses need some practice prior to taking them out in the field, particularly the tilt lens movement. Go out to your driveway, backyard, etc where you can set the camera down really low. Use Live View 5-10X and the joystick to move the enlarged view from foreground (tilt adjustment) to infinity (focus adjustment). Its not the same equipment set up/interface as normal landscape shooting. You need to learn the connection between what you see in the LCD and computer to what you would like to see in your minds eye.
Mike K

Aug 30, 2011 at 05:56 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

I was going to buy the Zeiss but bought the 24 TSE II instead. Glad I did. I'm very satisfied with it, and I use the tilt and shift features a lot. Here's one. A 3 photo pano stitched (shifted right, left, no shift) and tilted to get the bottom of the lake in focus.

Edited on Aug 31, 2011 at 06:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 30, 2011 at 06:12 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

I was going to buy the Zeiss but bought the 24 TSE II instead. Glad I did. I'm very satisfied with it, and I use the tilt and shift features a lot. Here's one. A 3 photo pano stitched (shifted right, left, no shift) and tilted to get the bottom of the lake in focus.

Aug 30, 2011 at 06:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

Mike -- Why do you feel these newer TS lenses need practice at the adjustments compared to the earlier versions (35FD, 24, 45, and 90)? The 24TS II seems easier, smoother and more versatile to adjust than the original versions. And much easier than a 4x5 view camera and loupe!

And suppose you don't have LV? I have a 1Ds2 and 5D (well, a 60D too, but I haven't mounted the TS on it).

My advice is that with careful observation (and understanding of lens movements), the adjustments can be done through the viewfinder in daylight conditions, and most brightly lit interiors. LV is a wonderful option/luxury, if you have it. This lens would seem to be a perfect match to the 5D2 or 1Ds3.

Aug 30, 2011 at 06:55 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

Most tilt adjustment can be done from the tables that show for a given focal length of lens the tilt angle required for a given distance of the lens to the tilted plane of focus you desire. Once you set your tilt angle, you can focus on one object in the scene, and the rest should fall into line well enough to be within your depth of field at your shooting aperture. For more critical situations live view and depth of field preview can help, but I rarely take the time to do that. And trying to find a tilt angle by trial and error with no starting point by checking cirtical focus at two or three points can drive you nuts. I always start with a tilt angle from a table, and only adjust slightly away from that angle if I am sure it is necessary.

Shift adjustment is generally simple for any shift lens. For most shots, you are wanting to avoid perspective distortion from a tilt up or down of the camera. To adjust shift in those situations, first level the camera front to back, and then shift up or down to frame your subject. If you can not shift enough, keep that maximum shift and go ahead and tilt the camera away from level. On a full frame camera, try to avoid the last few millimeters of shift on the lens if you can, because you are approaching the edges of the large image circle the lens has, and may end up with soft corners.

I use both my 17mm TS-E and my 24mm TS-E II as plain wide angle lenses part of the time, but have no fear of using tilt or shift or both as needed. I have no experience with Zeiss to compare to, but really enjoy the newest Canon TS-E's.

Aug 30, 2011 at 08:24 PM
lms1
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon24 TSE II vs Zeiss 21f2.8

Want to thank all for your comments. I felt all were honestly given ......and
very one sided. I did not expect that.

Best regards

Larry

Aug 31, 2011 at 01:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell