Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

cleewag
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

Does anyone on here have any experience with PixelFlash brand CompactFlash cards? I recently ran across them on eBay while searching for an 8GB replacement card.

What impressed me most about them is their claim of being produced in the USA, and they aren't all that expensive.

It appears they produce several levels of cards, in terms of speed. So far I have found 600x (up to 95Mb/S), 400x(up to 60Mb/S), 300x(up to 45Mb/S), and 233x(up to 40Mb/S) versions for very reasonable pricing. All are UDMA compliant.

I currently use a 2GB PNY 266x OPTIMA Pro and an 8GB SanDisk Extreme 60Mb/S cards in my 5D Classic, and when I format them, the PNY card formats in about 1 second, while the SanDisk takes 6 seconds. Plus, transfers from the PNY using a reader on my Win7 laptop are MUCH faster than the Sandisk.

So, I am considering getting one of the 8GB PixelFlash cards to compare with the SanDisk card I already have, and was wondering if anyone on here has tried any of the PixelFlash cards.

ThankYou all in advance for any and all comments.
ChuckWagner

Aug 29, 2011 at 02:49 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

cleewag wrote:
What impressed me most about them is their claim of being produced in the USA, and they aren't all that expensive.

No, they don't claim that their cards are produced in the US. They do say that they're an American company. They don't tell you who makes the cards they sell, or where they are made, only that they are made for them by a "major manufacturer".

Aug 29, 2011 at 04:30 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

I never heard of PixelFlash but I would worry about two things:
1) That their stated advertised speeds are not reflected in real-world camera performance. This may not be much of an issue while using these cards in a 5D which has a relatively low write speed limitation, but it may be an issue in a faster (writing) camera like a 7D or while using a card reader on a computer.
2) A very high percentage of Ebay flash memory cards are counterfeit...I wouldn't be surprised if even the cheap cards are counterfeit. I would NOT buy any flash memory of any type on Ebay.

HTH,
Omar

Aug 29, 2011 at 06:40 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

The problem of counterfeit cards on ebay got so bad even ebay started warning about buying cards on ebay. Popular Photography magazine even did an article about them. Save yourself the grief and buy from a trusted retailer.

Aug 30, 2011 at 04:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

PixelFlash
5482 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1628, Los Angeles, CA. 90036

http://pixelflashmemory.com/
boilerplate marketing company that slaps a label on a a sourced product they really had nothing to do with designing other then the label. they have a boilerplate website the effectively took a few hours to design and place on the web

Avinash Chainani?
http://www.linkedin.com/in/avinashchainani

roll the dice and see what you get.

Aug 30, 2011 at 08:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cleewag
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

Well, it appears that the replies so far have confirmed my suspicions.

Thanx to all for your valued input.

I sure wish I could find a source for an 8GB version of my 2GB PNY Optima UDMA 266x CF card. I'd be in hog heaven... I've been looking for months.

Aug 30, 2011 at 02:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

The 2GB card may be faster because it is FAT16 rather than FAT32. The 400x Sandisk should be faster in transfers unless there is something else at work. Have you tried other readers?

EBH

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:10 AM
cleewag
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

Well, I just checked properties of both, and EB-1 is spot-on. The 2GB PNY card is FAT16, while the 8GB SanDisk is FAT32. I, quite honestly, don't know the specs of the reader I use. Only that it is USB 2.0.

Aug 31, 2011 at 02:03 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PixelFlash brand CF cards ANYBODY??

Never heard the name

Aug 31, 2011 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password