Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

JayCeePhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

Which do you use and why?

Would you rather
- aim the flash (attached on camera) at 90* with a flash diffuser
- aim the flash straight up with more power
- use the bounce card

Which one, and why?

Usually, it's hard to determine flash power for me, is there any way to metering this at let's say, a DARK CONFERENCE ROOM // presentation being held and you're zooming in and out?

Aug 19, 2011 at 04:46 AM
JimboCin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

Joseph: I use a flash card (Joe Demb's "Flip-IT!"). The flash card gives me a nice catch light in the eyes, and the specific design of the Flip-IT! gives me adjustability that many other bounce cards do not. The Flip-IT! is also quite small, light, and easily packable.

I don't use diffusers (I assume you mean things like the Stofin and the white thing included with Nikon flashes). They do nothing to make the flash light source large or softer, while having the negative of reducing flash power. They don't do much to give a catch light.

I woud suggest you read Neil vanNiekerk's book "On-Camera Flash - Techniques for Digital Wedding Photography." It is an excellent book and will answer most of the questions you have on the subject.

Not sure why you are having a problem determining flash power. Typically TTL does a pretty good job automatically with this, and you can then easily adjust the flash power up or down from this as required using flash exposure compensation. Neil's book discusses exposure using flash in detail.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #3 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

For a flash on camera, or mounted on a flash bracket on camera, I also use one of the several versions of the Flip-It by Joe Demb. Because it is an adjustable device, you can accomodate bounce situations and mix light reflected from the Flip-It card with bounce light, and adjust over a moderate range the ratio of each light. Then, when you are in a situation where bouncing light is not possible, you can adjust the Flip-It to provide all the light, but with the raised light source location and larger light source size that helps a lot for most shots.

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

Bounce card. Bounce the light for diffusion (bigger light source) and card for fill.

Aug 19, 2011 at 01:44 PM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

Which Flip-It do you guys recommend?

There are so many to choose from...

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

Anyone like or dislike this? Comments from users.

http://www.expoimaging.com/product-detail.php?cat_id=13&product_id=21

Aug 20, 2011 at 01:32 PM
demb

p.1 #7 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

You might enjoy the modular concept of the Big Flip-it. By 'modular' I mean that the reflector attaches by means of a velcro pad. So you may use the 4 1/2 x 5 one, the 6 x 7 one, or if you are a DIY person, you may make any size, shape, material or tint you choose & attach it with a few cents worth of sticky-back velcro

Aug 20, 2011 at 03:02 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

JosephChan wrote:
Which Flip-It do you guys recommend?

There are so many to choose from...

The modular Big is a nice concept, if you're going for max portability I wouldn't hesitate to get the Classic or PJ. The increase of the bounce surface area is relatively small at most event coverage distances and there will be little to no difference in use beside the angle you set the card at to get the appropriate amount of fill.

If you were trying to shoot portraiture with it and use it as the primary light source then things would be different and you might benefit form the larger bounce surface.

Aug 20, 2011 at 04:15 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #9 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

ecidi wrote:
Anyone like or dislike this? Comments from users.

http://www.expoimaging.com/product-detail.php?cat_id=13&product_id=21

I have one, and have limited experience using it. The primary negatives I have with it is that it is somewhat heavy, and kind of large. There are three bendable rods in it - that is what gives it the flexibility / rigidity.

These rods, and the size / construction of the device all add to it's weight.

I have seen some people where they have a weak joint in their flash head have the flask head bend or move under the weight. I have not seen this problem with my Canon 580EX flash.

I guess I just prefer the light weight and compact size of my Flip-it!

Having said that, I have read a few rather glowing reports on the device you linked to. You might want to do a Google to find them.

These devices are a pretty personal thing - that is why there are so many of them out there. What I like you may hate. But after trying quite a large number of these devices I keep coming back to my Flip-it!

Jim

Aug 21, 2011 at 01:16 PM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Diffuser Flash vs Bounce card Flash

Hey, Jimbo, Thanks

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:58 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password