Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2011 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

nixland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

Let's wait for the Pentax mount ...

Jul 27, 2011 at 08:21 AM
you2
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

Hell at those prices I would be tempted to sell my eos version for $1500. Not really related but what is a fair price for an unused eos 5d mk2 ? I tried 2100 on photo.net but no one seemed interested.

Jul 27, 2011 at 01:03 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

nixland wrote:
Let's wait for the Pentax mount ...

I think the Pentax and OM mount versions will go for quite a bit less than Nikon/Canon. You won't be able to use the Pentax mount one without destructive modification (cutting the aperture lever), which hurts resale value. OM mount will not be the most popular either because it may only be adaptable to Canon.

Jul 27, 2011 at 03:40 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

Got mine (EF mount) fall 2009 for just under $1300, I guess that's somewhat of a bargain today. It's a joy to use and I absolutely love the results. The only other macro lens I've ever used though is the Canon 100mm USM (non-L), so I don't have much to compare it to. I know I can't see ever parting with it. Maybe it's not the best at any one measure, but it seems pretty darn good all around (no major flaws.)

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM
nixland
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

tsdevine wrote:
Got mine (EF mount) fall 2009 for just under $1300, I guess that's somewhat of a bargain today. It's a joy to use and I absolutely love the results. The only other macro lens I've ever used though is the Canon 100mm USM (non-L), so I don't have much to compare it to. I know I can't see ever parting with it. Maybe it's not the best at any one measure, but it seems pretty darn good all around (no major flaws.)

I have the Canon 100/2.8 (non L) too. What are the most significant differences with the Voigtlander 125 (as you remember) ?

Jul 28, 2011 at 05:38 AM
Technician
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

What a crap! At the time I was tempted by this lens they were selling for 800$. It looks like Zeiss Makro Planar 100 is more affordable now. I can't believe. Soon this legendary Voigtlander will exceed the price of a benchmark of all macro lenses - the Leica APO Elmarit 100 and it seems like I would never own one.

Jul 28, 2011 at 08:20 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

Well, it's a joy to manual focus compared to the Canon. There's little to no CA or LoCA (wasn't serious enough back then to notice LoCA in the Canon...but I definitely noticed CA). Bokeh seems dreamier...... And it seems as though it's harder to blow out highlights, I know that seems crazy but it seems to handle contrast better.

Obviously this isn't scientific, just impressions.

nixland wrote:
I have the Canon 100/2.8 (non L) too. What are the most significant differences with the Voigtlander 125 (as you remember) ?

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM
nixland
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

tsdevine wrote:
Well, it's a joy to manual focus compared to the Canon. There's little to no CA or LoCA (wasn't serious enough back then to notice LoCA in the Canon...but I definitely noticed CA). Bokeh seems dreamier...... And it seems as though it's harder to blow out highlights, I know that seems crazy but it seems to handle contrast better.

Obviously this isn't scientific, just impressions.

Thanks for the info, especially about the contrast handling. I sometimes finds blown highlight too in my 135L & 85LII.

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

billsnature
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

I owned and sold a CV 125mm in EOS
I owned and sold ZE50mm f2.0
I am currently selling a Leica 100mm APO
Own and keeping Canon 100mmL
Just received and deciding if I am keeping or not the Sigma 150mm OS

CV 125 has best bokeh bar none! Great APO performance - Sharpness is medium compared to Leica, colors are muted compared to Leica. If you are into artistic look, this is the best.

Leica - OK bokeh and great sharpness. Best color of the bunch. Best overall performance. If it had 1:1 and auto focus I would never part with it. My eyes just aren't up for manual focus on moving critters any more. Great lens on stationary objects off tripod. If that is your gig, buy one.

Zeiss 50mm Great micro contrast and nice color if you like blue. Darkest blue skies you will never see. May be sharpest look due to contrast. 50mm too short a focal length for me, but nice lens as is the Contax 60mm f2.8.

Canon L and Sigma OS are nearly identical in IQ. Both are nice for outdoor flowers and bugs, but may not be the best for fine art photography. Very hard to tell images apart (as tested on outdoor flowers with bees ). Color is OK. Color may be brighter than CV, but not as nice as Zeiss or Leica. Bokeh is OK to bad. The good news- Very sharp considering the lack of micro contrast on both lenses On Sigma, I like the 150mm focal length better, but the focus speed and the ability to hold focus in servo is poor. I have to decide if for flighty subjects like butterflies, it is worth keeping or not. Will be doing more testing in next few days if the rain will hold off.

Many may not agree with all my comments... but this is my view of the world through my 53 year old eyes, one of which has a Zeiss lens in it (cataract).

Bill

Aug 23, 2011 at 06:02 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

Yes, Please do comment on the Sigi OS for butterflies. I have this one in mind. Manual aperture and MF for critters is a tough but not impossible task.

Aug 23, 2011 at 09:38 PM
billsnature
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

Alright, none of these are a CV 125, so sorry if I am highjacking this thread, but my original post was about how these comared to Cv 125 previously owned.

First is Leica 100 APO @ f8
Second is Sigma 150mm OS@ f8
Third is Canon 100L @ f8
Last is Leica/ Pana 45mm OS on a micro 4/3rds @ f5.6

All shot raw, daylight setting on WB, and converted in PS with no sharpening. All are crops and resized for web

Aug 24, 2011 at 01:49 AM
nixland
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

nixland wrote:
Just to summarize the latest eBay final bidding price for this lens in last 2 months :

M42 - $1,625
M42 - $1,925
Nikon Ais - $2,955
Canon EOS - $2,316
C/Y - $1,825

Latest price updated

Ais - $2,685 ..... Aug 14, 2011
PK - $2,150 ..... Aug 20, 2011
Ais - $3,700 ..... Aug 21, 2011

Aug 24, 2011 at 03:33 AM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

billsnature wrote:
Alright, none of these are a CV 125, so sorry if I am highjacking this thread, but my original post was about how these comared to Cv 125 previously owned.

Third is Canon 100L @ f8

All shot raw, daylight setting on WB, and converted in PS with no sharpening. All are crops and resized for web

Thanks so much for that interesting comparison. Were these hand held to test the OS of the Sigma? I have read that the OS isn't necessarily optimized for macro like the Canon 100.
T

Aug 24, 2011 at 08:14 PM
billsnature
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

billsnature wrote:

Third is Canon 100L @ f8

Thanks so much for that interesting comparison. Were these hand held to test the OS of the Sigma? I have read that the OS isn't necessarily optimized for macro like the Canon 100.
T

No Actually they were all shot off tripod with IS or OS off wit the exception of micro 4/3 Leica 45mm

Have you seen reports that 100L is optimised for macro?. Most reports I have seen like the multi-mode but indicate that it isn't very effective for macro range.

Aug 24, 2011 at 09:01 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Versions? Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar SL

billsnature wrote:
billsnature wrote:

Third is Canon 100L @ f8

Thanks so much for that interesting comparison. Were these hand held to test the OS of the Sigma? I have read that the

No Actually they were all shot off tripod with IS or OS off wit the exception of micro 4/3 Leica 45mm

Have you seen reports that 100L is optimised for macro?. Most reports I have seen like the multi-mode but indicate that it isn't very effective for macro range.
...Show more

Yes, I recall the reviews saying the IS is "hybrid" and about a stop of stabilization is present at 1:1. I can't think of when I wanted to hand hold something at that mag though. At least it is designed with macro use in mind-chasing critters at about 1:4 with effective IS seems to be a very helpful feature. I have read second hand reports that the "OS" of the Sigi 150 is in no way optimized for macro, though have not really seen any definitive data on this. Would be great to see how it works.
Oh, here is one report--sure there are others.
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_100_2p8_is_usm_c16/page6.asp

Mike

Aug 24, 2011 at 09:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password