Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · #455 Repetitive Rig ...

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #455 Repetitive Rig ...

... still standing the test of time.
I wonder how many times it's gone "up & down" since it first started or until it's dry

Hint: 11 seconds per revolution = 2,868,872 times per year ... but how many years has it been, or will it be?

Jun 28, 2011 at 03:25 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #455 Repetitive Rig ...

Good one Kent. See a LOT of those in my neck of the woods, and I process what it pulls form the earth...

Greg

Jun 28, 2011 at 08:03 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #455 Repetitive Rig ...

Well done Kent. The motion makes it along with the processing.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Namlak
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #455 Repetitive Rig ...

Excellent!

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gt_me_jon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #455 Repetitive Rig ...

Nice choice of shutter speed to really emphasize the repetition. Nice find, and good idea for this week's theme.

Jun 29, 2011 at 02:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #455 Repetitive Rig ...

Thanks guys.

I tried to go long enough to capture a full revolution/cycle.

These thing have been around "forever" and likey will still be here a very long time to come. They kinda make me think about them as the "heartbeat" of energy, complete with their slightly arrhythmic sounds that accompany each direction change.

Jun 29, 2011 at 03:29 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #455 Repetitive Rig ...

The image really conveys "Repetition".

Jun 29, 2011 at 04:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #455 Repetitive Rig ...

Thanks Barbara ... this one has a backstory of repetition as well.

I've driven by this particular well over the years and repeatedly wanted to shoot it, but always passed on doing so ... often wondering why I never stop once I've gotten home.

Now, get this ... the WA comes along and perfect, I'm finally gonna go shoot this well. I drive about 15+ miles to get to this well, with 4 camera bodies, two tripods, and about a dozen lenses thinking I'm gonna make this a project with repeated effort to get my motion / angle just the way I want it. That is until I go to take my first test shot ... and have no CF cards with me. (I had changed jeans earlier and forgot to transfer them)

I looked through bag, every pocket, every shirt, every camera, every box of my entire truck looking for one card ... NONE. SO I go through all my gear yet again, just in case. Again, NONE.

So, I turn around any drive 1/2 way back to a truckstop and buy an SD card, turn back around and drive out to the well again. Because I was going to go long exposure, I chose to use my Kodak SLR/C at ISO 6, so I could get a 15 second exposure to cover the 11 second cycle.

I took my first shot @ f16 and went to take a second one ... the battery was now too low to allow the long exposure ... and I had left my spare battery back with the CF cards. Utterly frustrated, I packed it in and headed home, thinking I was going to have to come back again the next day and repeat my efforts. Yet, somehow I managed to pull this one together on the ONE shot without the need for a re-shoot.

BTW, just so you don't think I'm a total flake ... I had been to the doctor for a minor surgical procedure earlier in the day and had some "meds" in me too, so I don't feel too bad about going out with NO FILM ... ARRRRGGGHHHH !!!

Yeah, this image really conveys "Repetition" to me a bit more than you'd ever imagine just from looking at it.

Jun 29, 2011 at 04:30 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password