Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · #455 Tank Cars

stebesplace
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #455 Tank Cars

Taken in Oakland near where I live at a local yard around 2 AM. I estimated about 85 of these were being pulled by at the time. I did a mini series on this yard, and had to come back for more!

Jun 23, 2011 at 08:30 PM
ramorak
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #455 Tank Cars

Cool shot, really like it! (and the B&W works really well).

I would consider cloning out the hard shadow in the bottom left though?

Jun 23, 2011 at 08:55 PM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #455 Tank Cars

ramorak wrote:
Cool shot, really like it! (and the B&W works really well).

I would consider cloning out the hard shadow in the bottom left though?

Done, and done! Yeah that bugged me down there, mostly due to the fact that it was a shadow from my friend standing and getting some shots as well. That's what I get for 2AM shots!

Jun 23, 2011 at 09:05 PM
Namlak
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #455 Tank Cars

Nice shot! Composition and B&W conversion is excellent. It's got a gritty street/industrial feel to ti.

I like the leading lines and also the motion blur in the foreground cars.

Jun 23, 2011 at 09:23 PM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #455 Tank Cars

Namlak wrote:
Nice shot! Composition and B&W conversion is excellent. It's got a gritty street/industrial feel to ti.

I like the leading lines and also the motion blur in the foreground cars.

Thank you! I'd say the stock was rolling along at about 15 MPH, maybe slightly less. I had a couple other shots where my head was about a foot away from the cars, but couldn't get anything wide-angle since I only had my 70-200. This was the next best option given the lens I had. Comp and conversion was done for that gritty feel, which is how Oakland looks at night Glad it came out!

Jun 23, 2011 at 09:29 PM
Oregon Guy

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #455 Tank Cars

Nice shot wish we had some tankers here all we get are timber cars here. I too like the B&W conversion and the gritty industrial feel with the motion blur and your leading line really makes this shot for me. Your also a brave man to be out in Oakland at 2am taking pictures.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #455 Tank Cars

Oregon Guy wrote:
Nice shot wish we had some tankers here all we get are timber cars here. I too like the B&W conversion and the gritty industrial feel with the motion blur and your leading line really makes this shot for me. Your also a brave man to be out in Oakland at 2am taking pictures.

Thanks! Timber cars would be awesome! Assuming their full that is. A lot of good mountain grit there. If they are logging any redwoods up north still, that would make for a great shot to punch the color of those trees. Anyway, I'm rambling. Yeah Oakland has it's moments of no crime, but it helped that I was in a pretty secure area for getting this shot.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:44 AM
Pete A
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #455 Tank Cars

I really like this image. I would have thought that it was taken in the UK as the D on the sign would tell our train drivers that it's dark, or maybe daylight. Our drivers get so confused.

Jun 26, 2011 at 05:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #455 Tank Cars

Like your choice of subject and have to agree about the processing. Well done.

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:20 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #455 Tank Cars

Very well done. As the others have said, I like the composition and the processing. Thsi should do well in the voting I would think.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #455 Tank Cars

Pete, Oregon Gal, and Mark, thank you for the kinds words!

Jun 27, 2011 at 09:58 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #455 Tank Cars

Definitely stands out from the rest of the pack...

Jun 28, 2011 at 01:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #455 Tank Cars

Diggin' the comp ... the curve makes a nice departure from 'infinity'.

Jun 28, 2011 at 02:38 PM
ts232
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #455 Tank Cars

Very nice! It looks moonlit to me, not sure why. What was the light situation there?

Jun 28, 2011 at 06:45 PM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #455 Tank Cars

Thanks guys. No moonlight in this shot. There were about a half dozen large flood lights in the yard, two of which you can see on the left of the frame. Where I was standing, there was an orange phosphorus light. That was about it. I think when this comp is over, I'll post the original so people can see what it was like out of the camera.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Dajavu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #455 Tank Cars

This reminds me of counting the cars while waiting at crossings as a kid, if you could keep count with some of those looooong trains that is. Repetition indeed! Good luck,
David

Jul 01, 2011 at 01:34 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password