Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2011 · From the Edge with Peter Lik
graham_martin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I am curious as to what the more experienced landscape photographers on this forum think of Peter Lik. I have been watching his "From the Edge" shows on the Weather Channel. The first thing that strikes me is that he has done an outstanding job of promoting himself and his images. I think that he has captured some beautiful landscapes. The lengths to which he goes to get the right composition certainly impresses me. Having said that I am equally impressed at his cameraman who has to venture into those dangerous spots burdened by a video camera that is far heavier and bulkier than Lik's gear.

However, I have seen many other beautiful and inspiring landscapes shot by other photographers. I don't feel qualified to critique his work, and I was wondering if his peers think of him as being among the creme de la creme, or is he merely better than others at creating this mystique about his work?

Jun 18, 2011 at 03:15 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I haven't seen his print work, so I can't comment on it. He obviously is good enough at marketing himself and his work that The Weather Channel bought it. He is laughing all the way to the bank, and that's probably all that really matters.

Jun 18, 2011 at 03:32 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I actually enjoy his shows. I record them. They are 1/2 hour of entertainment that are sort of cool, in their own way. Especially when he's in my area because I can sort of study his thought process. Better than the Annie Lebowitz and wierd art stuff on the other channel.

Jun 18, 2011 at 03:43 AM
graham_martin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I've been recording them too. I wish that he would go into a little more explanation about what he looks for in terms of composition and filers used and stuff like that. I will have to do a search and see if has any instructional books.

Jun 18, 2011 at 04:03 AM
smiller
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I like his images, but I don't think he is the best landscape photographer around. He is however unbelievably good at building his brand. That said, I find his schtick on the show a little fake. He is a bit 'roaringly unbelievable!!!!'

Jun 18, 2011 at 05:01 AM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

Mr. Lik has a gallery in Miami Beach that I visited last year. He uses a Linhof panoramic film camera and I am sure he digitizes his images.
I have never been in a photographer's gallery quite like his. The images are huge murals and it called my attention the prices at which he sells his images, many of them starting at around $50,000.
I have not seen him in the Weather Channel but I agree with others that he knows how to sell his images. One of his images sold for $1,000,000, I could be wrong but I believe the title of the image is "One."
I have tried to talk to him but he is always on the road and last time I tried he was in Antarctica. He has never answered my emails.
He has good work but he is not my favorite landscape photographer, the honor goes to John Shaw.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Jun 18, 2011 at 05:38 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I have heard he is a major d-bag.

The show is interesting enough for me to watch, but he is SUCH a whiner. For example, the episode where he is trying to shoot McWay Falls near Big Sur, he whines about the "bloody" fog or whatnot. I am thinking who cares. He is a millionaire and has free time to go back. I could understand if it was someone that had a regular job and did this one the side, but when you can afford the time, you would think he would nail it or atleast not be such a bloody whiner.

He is a good photographer, but I think he is better at marketing. He also uses a 7D. In the Arches NP episode, he shot one of the arches at sunrise/sunset with a 7D + L lens.

Jun 18, 2011 at 06:19 AM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

Cheap entertainment, but he is annoying. His images look pretty good, but definitely a good marketer. Record it, watch it, erase it.

Jun 18, 2011 at 07:35 AM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

a similar thread was over at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=53502.0
whilst the first post debated the i-phone app, it soon went down hill with other opiions of the man.

s

Jun 18, 2011 at 08:27 AM
caralan9
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

He also has a gallery in Noosa, QLD, AUS.

Very professional presentation - the images just jump of the wall. I haven't seen his TV show. I don't think we get it down here.

Here's the $1 million photo

http://www.peterlikexposed.com/archives/237 ...........

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

graham_martin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I've taken a photo that is only half as good as his $1MM shot. I'm looking forward to collecting my $500,000.

Judging by the comments already made here, and on Luminous Landscape, people tend to have strong positive or negative opinions about his work. Some comments I read on the LL forum reminded me of what many people say about Ken Rockwell.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

Sounds like some suffer a serious case of envy. I enjoy the show although I think he is far better at marketing than photography. No shame in that.
I just wish I could shoot free as the breeze and pay some one to sit around and process all of my images to perfection.
The most annoying thing about the show is that it's on the Weather Channel.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I was very interested to see what people thought so I was reading this thread, I find the show entertaining and his work is certianly excellent. As a business owner myself, one has to market and promote to be successful and there is nothing wrong with that I admire his ablity and success (that is his goal). However I came across the 1M photo link..... , I took this shot last fall in the Adirondaks maybe I should try to market it sold to the first person that offers $100.00 Dean

Jun 18, 2011 at 01:10 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I have watched several of his shows since I spent 3 days with Lionel Bigthumb in the slot canyons up at Page, AZ, and heard about him. Lionel was Peter's "guide" in one of the shows and, to be frank, I like Lionel's work more than Peter's stuff. Of course, I like my own work in the slots (not to mention the work of several of the folks posting on this site) better than PL's stuff. It's a personal perceptual thing, and I'm obviously different in my appreciations of "fine art photography" than the high rollers in Las Vegas and Florida. My loss, PL's gain.

On the other hand, Peter is a marketing genius and an extremely astute business operator, and people wanting to make a living from photography probably need to take an apprenticeship with him (if he ever decides to offer one!).

The are two things about his Weather Channel show that irritate me. The first is that his total "show time" is between 10 and 11 minutes (I got out my ole stopwatch and timed it after I watched the 3rd show) for the half hour, and its really repetitive in its material. It's really nothing more than a really smartly done advertising vehicle for the weather channel. My second dislike is the continual focus on "I, I, I" and a corresponding lack of information about photography.

If you are interested in outdoor photography then I recommend you give the Art Wolfe series on PBS (also on DVD) -- http://www.travelstotheedge.com/ -- a good look. (Which brings up the issue of where did PL get the idea for the name of his show?) I think you will find it covers all the things that PL's little clips don't have.

Gene

Jun 18, 2011 at 02:08 PM
mysh

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

Seeing peters work and success has inspired me to get more serious about this. I don't feel like his level of work is far out of reach. He obviously made the right moves or made the right contacts over his career. He is a good photographer but there is many out there putting out his level of work.
I did see a gallery of his last year and what jumped out to me the most was the print itself. They are very impressive and at this point I feel like I really need to learn this area of photography. Seeing different galleries, I realize this has almost the same amount of impact on the final image as the pic itself

Jun 18, 2011 at 02:51 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I like the show. But, then I would watch just about any show on photography. I'm glad the Weather Channel put it on even if it does get moved around to different times depending on their weather coverage. I must admit that I do get tired of his constant use of "roaring" and "legend" (isn't that what he says?). I haven't seen much of his photography other than what is shown in the show which is ok. But, I'm more impressed with the quality of the video from the show. I do like the lengths to which he will go to get the shot. But given the opportunity to rent planes and shoot with expensive equipment, I'm sure lots of photographers on this forum would jump at the opportunity to go where he goes and shoot what he shoots.

Edited on Jun 18, 2011 at 05:44 PM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2011 at 03:21 PM
smiller
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

For everyone who is impressed with the length Lik goes to get the shot, you should read this:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0111/ma0111-1.html

It is an article by Marc Adamus discussing his winter trip to the arctic circle. Having met Marc, I can tell you that he has lots of stories of a similar extreme nature. I don't know if Peter Lik does things like this (or if he did them before he had the money to just pay people to get him right where he wants), but it is a much better example of being willing to do truly extreme things to get the shot.

Jun 18, 2011 at 05:09 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

I've been watching the show and enjoy it. However, I think the guy is showboating for TV, mostly. Believe it or not, I've taken my own family and kids to many of the same locations I've seen him in, plus quite a few more that were even more "intense." He way over does how "dangerous" the places are. I see him on TV going on about how "tricky" a place is to walk in while dramatic music plays in the background, and laugh as I remember my then 8 yr. old son walking in exactly the same spot with no problem. The other night he was shown in Alaska, and the show was making a big deal out of the fact it was 7F below zero. , I regularly shoot here when it's 20F below, and have been out taking shots at -42F. Seven below zero isn't really cold at all. This is "adventure" made for urban people, I think. That said, his shots are good but no more exceptional than others who've kept at it as long as he has. He is a master promoter, and I don't mean that in a catty way (I myself am a full time sales rep.) What most photographers don't seem to understand is that marketing skills are more important than photography skills. All in all I like the shows. I like how he is showing that patience is required and that photography is all about using Light. Finally, I see him as the Steve Irwin of photography, except what he is doing is far less risky.

Kent in SD

Jun 18, 2011 at 05:29 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

smiller wrote:
For everyone who is impressed with the length Lik goes to get the shot, you should read this:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0111/ma0111-1.html

It is an article by Marc Adamus discussing his winter trip to the arctic circle. Having met Marc, I can tell you that he has lots of stories of a similar extreme nature. I don't know if Peter Lik does things like this (or if he did them before he had the money to just pay people to get him right where he wants), but it is a much better example of being willing to do truly extreme things to get the shot.

Thanks for the link. Great photos. Great stories.

Jun 18, 2011 at 05:37 PM
Tim ONeill
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · From the Edge with Peter Lik

Shameless self-promoter. Entertaining show. Lots of familiar places (at least to me). Adequate photog, and super salesman. The "Lady Gaga of Photography"

Jun 18, 2011 at 05:38 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password