Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              52       53       end

Archive 2011 · Pano-mania

mengenlehre
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Pano-mania

Gunzorro wrote:
If we can make this thread a clearing house of top quality panoramic imaging, along with the basics of "how-to", software, and gear, I think this could be a valuable resource (and outlet) for photographers.

oh, I was about to write this myself!

In particular, I'd like to know if anyone has succeeded in stitching a group of (typically 5) photos obtained by shifting a lens from one end to the other (camera on tripod, of course). Hugin automatic functions fail miserably and I have to struggle a lot to get just decent results. Before you ask: no big parallax issues.

Jun 03, 2011 at 08:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Pano-mania

Here's a different portrayal of the original Canon 50mm Macro shot above, with a stretched perspective, and uncropped to a wide rectangle (only sides were minimum cropped).

Jun 03, 2011 at 08:36 PM
mengenlehre
• •
p.3 #3 · Pano-mania

(ok, one more thing: this thread is packed with amazing shots. It's a pleasure to learn from you, guys)

Jun 03, 2011 at 08:37 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.3 #4 · Pano-mania

ZF 35/2 on D700, probably 5-6 shots each, and handheld...

Jun 03, 2011 at 09:27 PM
obik
• •
p.3 #5 · Pano-mania

mengenlehre wrote:
In particular, I'd like to know if anyone has succeeded in stitching a group of (typically 5) photos obtained by shifting a lens from one end to the other (camera on tripod, of course).

Do you mean shifting the tripod 10-20 feet? Or shifting a tilt-shift lens?

The first will give you massive parallax problems unless you're shooting something that's perfectly flat, parallel to you, and with nondescript fore- and backgrounds. Staying parallel to your subject is a nightmare.

I did it successfully with a two shot pano. Results were...okayish. If there had been any detail in the building though, stitching would've been close to impossible, since in spite of my best efforts I wasn't even close to moving parallel to the building. If I had to do it again, I'd bring a tape measure and chalk out a line on the ground to follow. I'll dig out the pic and post it if you really want. It's the same building as my first picture and in the same style, and rather uninspiring.

The second is trivial.

Hugin automatic functions fail miserably and I have to struggle a lot to get just decent results. Before you ask: no big parallax issues.

Try stitching manually. In my limited experience, I've never had a software stitch come out looking nice. I've never had a software HDR come out looking nice either.

Jun 03, 2011 at 09:39 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.3 #6 · Pano-mania

Central Park, NYC:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=13067458

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8468680

Thailand:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=12167896

Double-clicking on the images will make them full-size.

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

Jun 03, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.3 #7 · Pano-mania

A thread I can handle

Steel-Bridge-Pano by nerdvac, on Flickr

VS 35-70 @ 35 on a 20D

Burgundy-Sunset-Redux-3 by nerdvac, on Flickr

Same combo, not sure about specific focal length

Whitney-at-dawn by nerdvac, on Flickr

Fuji F31FD I wasn't about to lug a heavy camera to the top!

The-Seven-Devils by nerdvac, on Flickr

Canon 70-200/4 on a 5D. Near the 200 end iirc

Edited on Jun 03, 2011 at 10:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2011 at 10:44 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Pano-mania

mengenlehre wrote:
In particular, I'd like to know if anyone has succeeded in stitching a group of (typically 5) photos obtained by shifting a lens from one end to the other (camera on tripod, of course). Hugin automatic functions fail miserably and I have to struggle a lot to get just decent results. Before you ask: no big parallax issues.

Assuming you mean stitching from a shift lens, Hugin can do it so long as you take partial manual control of the position optimization process. Instructions:
  1. Do NOT let Hugin do everything automatically, but load the pictures and create control points between them.
  2. In the "Camera and Images" tab, select all the images and "unlink" the image center shift parameters (d,e).
  3. In the "Optimizer" tab, select "custom variables" in the top left "Optimize" menu.
  4. Un-check EVERY check box in the lists below, then re-check x- and y-shift (d,e) for all but the center image.
  5. Click the "Optimize Now!" button, and Hugin will optimize only the image shifts (which is what you wanted).
  6. Use the preview window to center/crop the image as you want.
  7. Generate stitched/blended output from the "Stitcher" tab (you probably want "rectilinear" projection).

The same procedure should also work for stitching from moving the camera/tripod, but the results will probably not be as good. In that case, make sure all control points are on the plane of the main object you are translating along (not in the background with different parallax relations).

Jun 03, 2011 at 10:46 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · Pano-mania

Bifurcator wrote:
No.

Besides Fred already defined it. "A reasonable height and just let run off the end as needed." (paraphrased).

I am on a 30" screen, 2560x1600 and some of the panoramas in this thread run off the right edge by quite a margin, maybe 40%, when my browser is full screen. This completely ruins my impression of the image as a whole, since I can only see a small chunk of it at a time, and imagine how people browsing on 15" and 17" laptops feel. Other panoramas here are maybe 600 wide, just thumbnail size, unless you click on to another site. This means that I have no way to just scroll down and see various panoramas, one after the other. I have to click a bunch and scroll a bunch, and honestly, if a panorama doesn't have anything at 1200 wide, it just won't be effective on any screen, and should be put on a wall.

I think I will go start my own thread on getdpi with 1200 wide panoramas. I find that the presentation differences here totally ruin the experience.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but it is just the way I feel (for this thread only).

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:15 PM
kiddik
• •
p.3 #10 · Pano-mania

Many incredible shots! Too many to compliment :-)

Here's one with Voigtlander 180mm f/4 on a 5D2, not entirely sure but about 14 pictures vertical handheld, always wanted to capture those sunrays in their entirety.

(For those interested, here's a much larger version]

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.3 #11 · Pano-mania

from Devil's Punchbowl Natural Area; CY 35-70 on 5D:

an older one from Rio Tinto, Spain; IR-converted Nikon 950:

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:34 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Pano-mania

carstenw wrote:
I am on a 30" screen, 2560x1600 and some of the panoramas in this thread run off the right edge by quite a margin, maybe 40%, when my browser is full screen. This completely ruins my impression of the image as a whole, since I can only see a small chunk of it at a time, and imagine how people browsing on 15" and 17" laptops feel. Other panoramas here are maybe 600 wide, just thumbnail size, unless you click on to another site. This means that I have no way to just scroll down and see various panoramas, one
...Show more

Hmm.... I must say that I actually prefer the scroll variety - it shows that it's really a high res panorama. Limiting the width makes it at web resolution indistinguishable from simple (cropped) wide angle shots..

At least in my opinion this leaves less of an impression:

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:38 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Pano-mania

than this:

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · Pano-mania

Kiddik -- So fantastic, especially at the larger size, to see all the small condos and other buildings.

Perhaps you can explain your method of posting at 1200 in the thread, but having the instant access to full image size? That might address Carsten's displeasure with images he feels are too large to enjoy on the screen.

denoir -- I was hoping you'd start posting some of your super-clean evening panos! Thanks.

Martin -- I love that shot behind the buildings with cars and carefully stacked "stuff". At first, it seemed a bit dark. But then as I stared into it, I just fell into that moment of deep afternoon shadow, nearing sunset. Nice self-portrait there on the right!

Edited on Jun 03, 2011 at 11:45 PM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · Pano-mania

Really?

Keep in mind that the original screenshot is almost 2560x1600. The only way for me to see your photo as a whole is to scroll along a whole bunch, seeing chunks at a time, or just to downsize it, which means that I see it the size I prefer, but without the sharpness that you intend. That image in this medium has no possibility of making any kind of impact, other than it is BIG.

And this is only a side issue anyway. You posting an image 2867 wide means that apart from a few people with high-end IBM monitors, no one will be able to see your image without scrolling, and probably a significant proportion of people will not even be able to see the full height, yet just a few posts before you, someone posts a 600-wide panorama. I cannot understand that it seems I am the only person bothered by this lack of standardization. Are there only PC users here?

Edited on Jun 03, 2011 at 11:54 PM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:44 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.3 #16 · Pano-mania

I'm on a 15" MBP, so:

Maybe we need a different thread for recursive screenshots

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:50 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · Pano-mania

Hehe, we had that once. What was it again?... I think this was the thread about how reflective screens ruin browsing

I chose 1200 carefully. Any reasonable computer has at least 1280 pixels width, meaning that there is room for a little chrome. I normally prefer 1024, but panoramas call for more.

Anyway, we are not in the majority here it seems.

Edited on Jun 03, 2011 at 11:59 PM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:52 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.3 #18 · Pano-mania

Carsten, yep, I prefer scrolling. I actually have the choice of stretching the browser across two monitors:

..but I typically don't do that. In a way, I understand your point about seeing the whole image but for me panoramas are a special case. I see it as a semi-interactive thing where I scroll and take in the detail. 1200 wide (excluding frame) is the size I post my regular images (landscape mode).

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · Pano-mania

Okay, different approach. For me, the photo has to make an immediate impact as a whole, or it moves from my brain's right hemisphere into the more mechanical left, and loses all artistic merit in the process. I don't want to think when I am viewing photos, just feel. If I have to think (about something not *in* the photo I mean), I have lost at least half my enjoyment already, and all of my feeling of immersion.

Anyway, where are the two monitor bezels in your demo capture?

I thought you posted your images in 1300 wide? Although I have a 2560x1600 monitor, a 1300 pixel wide image sticks out to the right. If I make my browser too wide, reading normal text becomes much more difficult.

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:56 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.3 #20 · Pano-mania

In general, I would agree with you - but as I said, panoramas are a special case for me. Perhaps that's why I don't really do a lot of panos. My main interest in it has been to get a large format look, although I have not been doing that a lot either...

Anyway, where are the two monitor bezels in your demo capture?

You can see where the windows taskbar ends. I've got two 1920x1600 monitors.

I thought you posted your images in 1300 wide? Although I have a 2560x1600 monitor, a 1300 pixel wide image sticks out to the right. If I make my browser too wide, reading normal text becomes much more difficult.

1200 sans border. The border adds some 100-150 pixels.

Jun 03, 2011 at 11:59 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password