New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Canon Servicing Charges

nutek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Servicing Charges

I sent in my D30 and 70-200 F4L for cleaning and servicing (rather dirty sensor, and possibility of focussing issues) at the Canon NJ Service Center last week, and they quoted me estimates of $197 and $107 for the lens respectively. I called the center up, and they said that this estimate was only based upon an "exterior inspection" of the camera and nothing has been opened up or repaired/cleaned/serviced yet. Is this the standard servicing charge for a warranty-expired camera and lens? I'm holding off on the 10D to await the next generation mid-range DSLR, but it would seem $300 bucks is a heavy price to pay to have body and lens checked and serviced, with no guarantees that it will come back working properly as well.

Should I go ahead with the servicing, or should I just get the camera back and live with it until the next dSLR comes along? Your suggestions, please... thanks!

Jun 04, 2004 at 12:38 PM
Thatspeck
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Servicing Charges

No doubt about it, camera repair from Canon is expensive. I sent in a PB-E2 (to Jamesburg) with minor issues and they wanted 137 bucks. Didn't even look at it, just figured up the cost of replacing everything associated with the problem area. I will look for an alternative in the future.
Mark

Jun 04, 2004 at 02:43 PM
losloslos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Servicing Charges

You know how things go...snowball right?

I of course responded to the Shutterbug article on Good Ol' Digital cameras, and now have a D2000, which is really cool cam. Legend says that it is an insanely expensive camera to fix...

Well, what does that mean when the price on something is high? They don't want to do it...so, BING up will spring some indie guys that fix all these cams, once they are considered obsolete. Look at the guys that fix old macs, and old Indian motorcycles.

They make the price high, it creates the market. People leave Canon all the time, and guess what, the old guys know how to fix the old cameras. Same ol' same ol'.

(See what the power of rationalization can do ?)

G.

Jun 04, 2004 at 03:29 PM
DSeelig
• • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Servicing Charges

When it comes to modern cameras with electronics, you are much more likely to have good results with canon.

Jun 04, 2004 at 03:31 PM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Servicing Charges

I had took in 2 10D I had to Canon Irvine for focusing inspection. Upon verified the focusing issue, Canon asked me to leave all my lenses alone with the camera for focusing calibration. When I got them back after about 2 weeks, camera and all my lenses were inspected, cleaned, and adjusted and all "free of charge". I didn't have any warranty with the 10D I had since they were purchased used. However Canon knows that some 10D have focusing issue and if they can verify that on your camera, you will get it fixed free... alone with all your lenses.

Jun 05, 2004 at 02:24 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Servicing Charges

If you want lower prices, ask Canon USA to outsource repairs to countries where overhead is much lower. You'll have to wait a few months more, maybe never see your gear again, but it will be cheaper. The cost of doing business--wages,perioidic training, insurance, support staff, rent, parts, et al.--is really high in the USA. Sheesh, the techs have morgages and car payments and Canon Service must actually make money, otherwise they'll have to close their doors.

Jun 05, 2004 at 04:30 AM
Thatspeck
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Servicing Charges

Then they should be consistent, i.e. repairing some out of warranty items, and not others.
When I here about a situation like Newbies, it burns a bit. I guess I'm expected to subsidize that.

Jun 05, 2004 at 09:16 AM
alanS
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Servicing Charges

thats why i purchased my 10D at bestbuy with a 4 year extended service agreement. ater 8 months of use i went to have the sensor cleaned. they sent it to be cleaned and i was not happy with the results, so it went back. when i came in the 2nd time to pick it up they said it was unrepairable and gave me a new one. they cant repair anything but i love the replacement policy. i look to get my 10D "serviced" again shortly after the new 10D replacement comes out

Jun 05, 2004 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.