Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....
Paul Yi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

Do you think Contax will come up with G3-D......?...
D stands for Digital....

Just a wishful thinking ....

May 21, 2011 at 01:20 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

No, I think any such camera would be released under the Zeiss Ikon name myself since Zeiss already have a range of lenses for their Zeiss Ikon rangefinder. I think the Zeiss brand is much stronger than the Contax brand as far as marketing goes.

May 21, 2011 at 01:31 AM
thrice
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

Maybe they can re-implement the dicky inconsistent autofocus and horrible feeling manual focus too!
I would MUCH prefer Tariq's idea of a digital Ikon to shake things up a bit for Leica. It would need a CCD sensor though, as that is the only current full frame sensor suitable for ultra-wide non-retrofocus lenses.

May 21, 2011 at 01:34 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

thrice wrote:
Maybe they can re-implement the dicky inconsistent autofocus and horrible feeling manual focus too!
I would MUCH prefer Tariq's idea of a digital Ikon to shake things up a bit for Leica. It would need a CCD sensor though, as that is the only current full frame sensor suitable for ultra-wide non-retrofocus lenses.

I looked through one of these Zeiss Ikon rangefinders and I have to say it's the best optical finder I have ever seen! A digital version would be awesome. I still don't quite understand why the sensor would have to be CCD. We know the Leica applies a lot of software correction for some of their wide angle lenses to compensate for vignetting and color. Is there any reason that going to a more extreme offset microprism design is not possible with a CMOS sensor? Somehow I think Sony could find a way to make this happen.

May 21, 2011 at 01:48 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

Paul Yi wrote:

If this thread gets 10000 replies...

I'll eat the original leather hood for my EF 500/4L IS.

May 21, 2011 at 02:20 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

jcolwell wrote:

Be careful what you say... no one specified the replies have to come from different people.

May 21, 2011 at 02:28 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

jcolwell wrote:

Be careful what you say... no one specified the replies have to come from different people.

mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

jcolwell wrote:

EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

Tariq Gibran wrote:
No, I think any such camera would be released under the Zeiss Ikon name myself since Zeiss already have a range of lenses for their Zeiss Ikon rangefinder. I think the Zeiss brand is much stronger than the Contax brand as far as marketing goes.

Except it would kill the resale value for my M9...

Just kidding. Competition is always going to be good for the consumers.

mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

Very unlikely. The Contax name doesn't have the same pull in the RF market as Zeiss Ikon does today.

Frankly I don't expect to see a digital camera from Zeiss. There's few options for them to partner with on such a project that wouldn't result in problems with their current partners (Sony and Cosina). A new Contax G Digital would compete directly with the Sony NEX cameras (which are getting Zeiss lenses starting later this year) while a Zeiss Ikon M mount digital would need a third partner to provide the sensor & processing and would cause problems for Cosina who already does a DRF with Epson in the R-D1x (albeit one that's next to dead).

May 21, 2011 at 02:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

thrice wrote:
I would MUCH prefer Tariq's idea of a digital Ikon to shake things up a bit for Leica.

+1

the idea of an autofocus rangefinder chills my blood. while i have a great respect for the contax g lenses (and use them on my NEX), you would need to pay me a sizable sum to use one of the contax g cameras. i would be ecstatic to see a digital ikon with a hybrid optical viewfinder/evf ala the fuji x100.

May 21, 2011 at 03:18 AM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

Okay...
It doesn't have to be G3....
I just think it would be so awesome to resurrect the G lenses in whatever digital AF RF camera...with AF system reflecting modern technology...

I'd pay $2000 anyday for it...

May 21, 2011 at 03:27 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

i'd rather an m-mount body rather than a g mount.

May 21, 2011 at 04:25 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

I thought Zeiss had stated that they are not working on any digital camera design?

May 21, 2011 at 06:33 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

Too bad - I would love a FF Digital ZI rangefinder....

May 21, 2011 at 07:53 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

I was kind of hoping Sony would do it, but they specifically stated the Nex will only be APS-C. Anyway, in the future, there would be no more need for DSLR and RF. All the cameras will be EVIL with smaller lenses and bodies, thus having all the advantages and none of the drawbacks of both systems.

May 21, 2011 at 08:11 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

sebboh wrote:
the idea of an autofocus rangefinder chills my blood.

Quoting from Dante Stella:

"Since rangefinders have no groundglass to illustrate what is happening in the rest of the field, most rangefinder users are doing manually the exact same thing that single-point AF is. Sorry, guys, but if you're a slave to the RF, you can be replaced by contrast-detect or phase-detect autofocus"

Or ideally IR focusing if I might add.

Personally I love rangefinders for the lenses, the form factor, the viewfinders, the ergonomics and the sound, but RF focusing leaves me cold to be honest. The Contax G was awesome but it needed a better AF system. The Hexar AF is perfect but it doesnt change lenses. The x100 is good but no lenses and not FF.

Round and round they go, but they never get it 100% right...

May 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

mpmendenhall wrote:

You're not making me worry one little bit.
Well, maybe a bit.
Stop it!

May 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I still don't quite understand why the sensor would have to be CCD.

Here is a simple drawing to explain it. Backlit CMOS goes SOME way toward solving the inherent problem, but is not yet produced (for whatever reason) in larger sizes.

Obviously these are worst case scenarios and some light does get through but the light that does is usually more refracted wavelengths like blue and purple and overall the vignetting is very objectionable and not correctable. This is part of the reason why the NEX has problems with non-retrofocus ultra-wides.

May 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · If this thread gets 10000 replies....

If you want a digital to use your Contax G lenses with then I'd just wait for a third party solution. Sony or Samsung will probably be your best bet, a "semi-professional" (you know what sort I mean) NEX would probably give you most of what you want and a bit more in other areas.

May 21, 2011 at 11:54 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password