Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Alt Lens FAQ

e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Alt Lens FAQ

I don't know if this is out of place here but it might be of interest.

Using an m4/3 body permits me to use lenses with a shorter registration distance than I could with any other. For examples, I have been able to explore the performance of a top quality Schneider enlarger lens all the way from infinity to macro. Here is a shot at distance:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125759#125759

My posts (just started in recent days) in the Macro world forum feature just about any lens other than those made for m4/3. They include Kiron, Leitz and other.

My latest Schneider HM lens has a large image circle and this gives confidence when using it with a tilt adapter:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247442

Harold

Edited on May 14, 2014 at 05:52 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:16 PM
mickr7an
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Alt Lens FAQ

There is a lot of information here in this thread and others (and out there on the web) and I've read pages and pages of it and still don't have the simple info I need. I'm definitely suffering from information overkill and a lot of the lens discussion is way over my head so apologies if I'm asking a redundant question. I'm a pro photographer with a lot of Canon EF mount lenses and looking for a high megapixel camera. I was considering the Nikon D800 but would need new lenses but the Sony A7r seems to be the right answer for me until Canon release a high megapixel camera. I need it for studio work and architecture outdoors so speed in not an issue and I'm very used to manual focus lenses even at wide apertures so no worries there. My problem is I can't find the definitive simple info I need (there may not be one based on what I've read here).

MY QUESTION:
Using an adaptor can I definitely use my Eos EF (not FD) mount lenses with the Sony A7r?

All the reviews say 'Canon' lenses can be used but the only reliable definitive info I could find online (i.e. the tester actually mounted one) was an old Canon FD mount lens. None of the testers actually mounted an EF lens on the A7r so I really don't know if use of the word 'Canon' only refers to the old FD mount.

If it is a lens by lens issue (I only see a Canon 44mm lens mentioned here which I'm not familiar with so I guess it's an old FD mount lens too) I have Canon 17 TSE, Canon 24 TSE, Sigma 35 Art, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Zeiss 85 Planar and Canon EF 100L IS f2.8 macro. (And the 24 - 70 II zoom but it's the one I'm least likely to use on the A7r if I bought it.) Can I use them with the A7r?

Any link to a review or information about EF mounts would be appreciated, thanks.

Nov 06, 2013 at 05:40 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Alt Lens FAQ

mickr7an wrote:
There is a lot of information here in this thread and others (and out there on the web) and I've read pages and pages of it and still don't have the simple info I need. I'm definitely suffering from information overkill and a lot of the lens discussion is way over my head so apologies if I'm asking a redundant question. I'm a pro photographer with a lot of Canon EF mount lenses and looking for a high megapixel camera. I was considering the Nikon D800 but would need new lenses but the Sony A7r seems to be the right
...Show more

The main question is one of registration (flange to sensor) distances. Only if the distance from the back of the adapter to the sensor matches that distance will a given lens focus at infinity. Additional lenses can be used for close-up and macro work by use of extensions. I don't know this information for the A7r

On my m4/3 I sue OM, FD and Leica ROM for infinity plus, others for close work.

Beware of Canon FDn being quoted as FD and OM being used for any Olympus lens or adapter, including current.

http://www.canonclassics.com/

Performance of sensors is another issue.

In the above, I am assuming that "very used to manual focus lenses" means having to use manual aperture operation.

Harold

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:32 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Alt Lens FAQ

mickr7an wrote:
MY QUESTION:
Using an adaptor can I definitely use my Eos EF (not FD) mount lenses with the Sony A7r?

yes.

this is the adapter that you need. it supports the new FF e-mount cameras (sony A7 and A7r) and allows you to use your EF lenses with full on camera aperture control, IS, and even slow AF.

there are also numerous other EF to e-mount adapters, some allow similar electronic control while others have no electronics meaning that you cannot change apertures with an EF lens mounted on those adapters.

the one i linked is the only one i'm aware of so far that has confirmed that it is fully functional on the new A7(r).

Nov 06, 2013 at 07:53 AM
mickr7an
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Alt Lens FAQ

sebboh wrote:
yes.

this is the adapter that you need. it supports the new FF e-mount cameras (sony A7 and A7r) and allows you to use your EF lenses with full on camera aperture control, IS, and even slow AF.

there are also numerous other EF to e-mount adapters, some allow similar electronic control while others have no electronics meaning that you cannot change apertures with an EF lens mounted on those adapters.

the one i linked is the only one i'm aware of so far that has confirmed that it is fully functional on the new A7(r).

Thanks you so much for the straight answer. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Nov 06, 2013 at 10:57 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Alt Lens FAQ

e6filmuser wrote:
My posts (just started in recent days) in the Macro world forum feature just about any lens other than those made for m4/3. They include Kiron, Leitz and other.

As I don't expect there are too many posts for a large format macro lens used fror macro on m4/3, ths may be of interest:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255249

Harold

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:17 PM
AlexTheodin

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Alt Lens FAQ

I am fairly new here and although i looked i can't seem to find a couple of forum features.

The "mark all as read" and "take me to new post in thread".

I would really appreciate someone guiding me to the right place, cause its driving me nuts! hehe

Thank you

Dec 01, 2013 at 11:02 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Alt Lens FAQ

Alex, this thread discusses alternative lenses, not forum features. You can discuss the latter in the Forum & Miscellaneous section: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/18

Regarding your 2nd question though, you can click "end" to go to the last post in a thread and to check for replies on your own posts you can click "My Posts" at the top left. FM's forum software is pretty simple.

Dec 02, 2013 at 12:59 AM
AlexTheodin

p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Alt Lens FAQ

Thank you and sorry for the wrong post. I thought this is a general FAQ thread, but i guess i really should had read the post before posting...

Dec 02, 2013 at 06:12 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Alt Lens FAQ

I came across a couple definitions for boke (bokeh) that actually make sense.
http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/boke.html
6.12. What does boke mean?

The word "boke", pronounced "bok-ay", and usually written ぼけ or ボケ, has a number of different meanings. It can mean stupid, unaware, or clueless. (See 8.5. What are some Japanese insults and swear-words? for more.)

This word is also used in photography for "out of focus", and has come into English as "bokeh", with an additional "h" to show the pronunciation. (See 5.5. What English words come from Japanese? for more words which have come from Japanese to English.)

In double-act comedy, the "straight man" is called tsukkomi (ツッコミ ) and the "funny man" is called boke.

The Japanese also
...Show more
And...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_owarai_terms
boke
Other Japanese meanings of Anglicised spelling "boke": Boke or bokeh—blur in photography, and, Boke—flowering Japanese quince.
For non-Japanese "boke," see Boke.
ボケ (boke [boke]). From the verb bokeru 惚ける or 呆ける, which carries the meaning of "senility" or "air headed-ness," and is reflected in this performer's tendency for misinterpretation and forgetfulness. The boke is the "simple-minded" member of an owarai kombi ("tsukkomi and boke", or vice versa) that receives most of the verbal and physical abuse from the "smart" tsukkomi because of the boke's misunderstandings and slip-ups. The tsukkomi (突っ込み ) refers to the role the second comedian plays in "butting in" and correcting the
...Show more

Dec 18, 2013 at 06:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

waterden
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Alt Lens FAQ

The FDn mount is the same as the FD for adaptive purposes. The original FD mount was breech lock but this was changed to a bayonet fitting for the so-called FDn or "new" FD lenses. However, they can be used interchangeably with all FD bodies (albeit with slight functional differences) and with any FD-E mount adapter.
e6filmuser wrote:
Beware of Canon FDn being quoted as FD and OM being used for any Olympus lens or adapter, including current.

Harold

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:47 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Alt Lens FAQ

mpmendenhall wrote:
What are "alt lenses"?
"Alt lenses" mean alternatives to the major Original Equipment Manufacturers' ("OEMs", e.g. Canon, Nikon, Sony Alpha) current lens lineups. This can range from third-party autofocus zooms to pinhole cameras. Most of the activity here on the alt lens board revolves around manual focus lenses, many from older and discontinued lens lines, but also a few new manual-focus designs (from, e.g., Zeiss, Cosina/Voigtlander, and Samyang). Even new Nikon lenses can be considered "alt" if used on Canon bodies.

Perhaps it's time to update this definition, now that the tables have turned and Canon EF lenses are being used as "alt" lenses on the SonyA7/A7R and NEX bodies?

Jan 17, 2014 at 01:50 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Alt Lens FAQ

I've been away for a long time (finishing writing a PhD thesis), so the whole FAQ is fairly outdated now. The arrival of common mirrorless, and now full-frame mirrorless, options over the past few years shas really changed the landscape a lot (and I've fallen behind on keeping up with the latest developments). I'll see if I can find time for a major re-write; and, I'd be glad to take input from anyone else who has ideas for re-writing sections to better cover today's greatly expanded range of alt options.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Alt Lens FAQ

Hi Michael,

Welcome back! Hope the writing went well. Have you defended yet?

Jim

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Alt Lens FAQ

All defended (I even passed!), so now I can return to more important things (I've got my camera batteries back on the charger).

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:27 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Alt Lens FAQ

mpmendenhall wrote:
All defended (I even passed!), so now I can return to more important things (I've got my camera batteries back on the charger).

congrats!

Jan 21, 2014 at 08:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Alt Lens FAQ

mpmendenhall wrote:

sebboh wrote:
congrats!

+1

Jan 22, 2014 at 01:44 AM
jimbob
• •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Alt Lens FAQ

Thank you for this thread Michael, I have also been away from the alternative glass forum. I am going to try and adapt a Soligor 450 mm f 8-32 manual T2 mount to a Canon EOS 40D. Perhaps someone has done so already. A T2 to Canon EOS adaptor may already be available.
I will do some cyber searching and let others know if I am lucky enough to find one.
JimB

Jan 26, 2014 at 03:34 PM
mmacro
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Alt Lens FAQ

Great thread, thank you!

Feb 08, 2014 at 05:17 AM
chb310

p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Alt Lens FAQ

mmacro wrote: