Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              221      
       223              228       229       end

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.222 #1 · p.222 #1 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

What a neat Frankencontraption. I guess no part is by coincidence here. Does the Hasselblad bellows not have tilt/swing?

I have something similar going, but without shift: A7, F to E adapter, Contax to F adapter, Contax bellows, M39 to Contax adapter, RMS to M39 adapter, Zeiss Luminar 63mm f/4.5.

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:08 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.222 #2 · p.222 #2 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

AhamB wrote:
How do you use the leaf shutter together with the A7?

I can't. That was my point.

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:06 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.222 #3 · p.222 #3 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw wrote:
What a neat Frankencontraption. I guess no part is by coincidence here. Does the Hasselblad bellows not have tilt/swing?

I have something similar going, but without shift: A7, F to E adapter, Contax to F adapter, Contax bellows, M39 to Contax adapter, RMS to M39 adapter, Zeiss Luminar 63mm f/4.5.

No, Hassy never made bellows with movements. From what I can tell, that's limited to Contax, Minolta, and Mamiya.

What do you think of the Luminar? I haven't tried any of their other macro heads but I'm planning to eventually.

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:10 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.222 #4 · p.222 #4 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

freaklikeme wrote:
I can't. That was my point.

I somehow missed the word "not" in your sentence.

freaklikeme wrote:
No, Hassy never made bellows with movements. From what I can tell, that's limited to Contax, Minolta, and Mamiya.

Nikon has the PB-4 bellows, but they only seem to do swing and lateral shift.

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:31 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.222 #5 · p.222 #5 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

AhamB wrote:
I somehow missed the word "not" in your sentence.

Nikon has the PB-4 bellows, but they only seem to do swing and lateral shift.

No worries. I missed the "e" in "use", so the sentence didn't make much sense anyway.

I didn't know about the Nikon PB-4. Thanks for the link. It's a very informative site.

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:10 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.222 #6 · p.222 #6 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

freaklikeme wrote:

What do you think of the Luminar? I haven't tried any of their other macro heads but I'm planning to eventually.

It's clearly quite a good lens, but it is also hard to use. The aperture ring on my copy is quite sticky, so turning it risks loosening the lens in its adapter It is at its best wide open, apparently, but it has very little depth of field there. I have tried it at various distances and magnifications (<1:1 to near 10:1), and it seems competent everywhere. Not razor-sharp, but quite sharp. Stopping it down gets more DoF but less sharpness. The main problem is the focal length. At these magnifications you are really close to your subject, so for anything moving or alive, you need a longer focal length, so I use my ZF/2 100/2 with tubes for that.

I am not really an accomplished macro photographer, which is one reason I bought it. I want to try it out. I haven't really had loads of free time yet, though, so I am not very far...

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:28 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.222 #7 · p.222 #7 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Touch the sky..

Jul 30, 2014 at 08:17 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.222 #8 · p.222 #8 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw wrote:
It's clearly quite a good lens, but it is also hard to use. The aperture ring on my copy is quite sticky, so turning it risks loosening the lens in its adapter It is at its best wide open, apparently, but it has very little depth of field there. I have tried it at various distances and magnifications (<1:1 to near 10:1), and it seems competent everywhere. Not razor-sharp, but quite sharp. Stopping it down gets more DoF but less sharpness. The main problem is the focal length. At these magnifications you are really close to your subject, so
...Show more

I know what you're saying about the working distance. When looking at some very impressive things I've seen shot with 12-24mm lenses, all I could think was, "How did you light that with less than fifteen millimeters between the lens and subject?" And the crazy amount of focus stacking people do to keep from stopping down makes me cringe.

I definitely don't consider myself accomplished, or much of a macro photographer, really. I rarely go higher than 1:1. I'm more a close-focus shooter who appreciates having the movements on the lens side and the ability to adjust framing or use the entire image circle on the camera side.

Jul 31, 2014 at 06:20 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.222 #9 · p.222 #9 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Keeping colors..

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:56 PM
arduluth
• •
p.222 #10 · p.222 #10 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

sebboh wrote:
the g45 is way better in sharpness and contrast (ok there is a limit to how much better a lens can be than the 50/1.7) with a little better bokeh (still sucks beyond 1.5 meters). basically from f/2 to f/8 the the g45 is a little more than a stop better than the c/y eg. the g45 is slightly better at f/4 than the c/y at f/5.6. also, the ergonomics of my g45 are better than those of any c/y lens (due to some custom modifications) .

A G45 came up on the B&S forum at a good price, soon after this exchange and I went for it. I just got it today and took it on a hike. I'm pretty pleased and would agree with your assessment about it being ahead of the C/Y 50/1.7 by about a stop, with the exception of mid-range bokeh. The difference in performance at f/2 is huge - I look forward to getting to use f/2 in a lot more than I do with my C/Y 50/1.7.

My C/Y 50/1.7 has an uncanny ability to get a bit of background back in situations where I really wouldn't expect it. I figured it was placebo at first, but in the comparisons I've done with my Canon FD 50/1.4 SSC and Nikkor 50/1.8 AI, it seems to not be a figment of my imagination. The G45 doesn't seem to have this magic. How much this matters to me is yet to be seen.

Jul 31, 2014 at 09:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AhamB
• • • • •
p.222 #11 · p.222 #11 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

arduluth wrote:
My C/Y 50/1.7 has an uncanny ability to get a bit of background back in situations where I really wouldn't expect it. I figured it was placebo at first, but in the comparisons I've done with my Canon FD 50/1.4 SSC and Nikkor 50/1.8 AI, it seems to not be a figment of my imagination. The G45 doesn't seem to have this magic. How much this matters to me is yet to be seen.

What do you mean by "get a bit of background back"?

Aug 01, 2014 at 04:57 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.222 #12 · p.222 #12 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

AhamB wrote:
What do you mean by "get a bit of background back"?

i was going to ask the same thing.

Aug 01, 2014 at 05:14 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.222 #13 · p.222 #13 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

That makes three of us. And, arduluth, I'm functionally illiterate, so if you could illustrate your answer, I'd really appreciate it.

Aug 01, 2014 at 05:22 AM
arduluth
• •
p.222 #14 · p.222 #14 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Sorry! Background blur, not back. A lot going on at work, my mind must have been elsewhere.

Aug 01, 2014 at 04:59 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.222 #15 · p.222 #15 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Sony A7 + Zeiss Sonnar 50 1.5 ZM by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Aug 01, 2014 at 09:22 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.222 #16 · p.222 #16 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Lizard..

..he can do probably anything.

Also for some reason peeps on Tumblr like it, no idea why. I guess Im missing something. I mean, its just ZOO pic of lizzard? Never get why some pics are taken as good and some not.

Aug 01, 2014 at 10:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.222 #17 · p.222 #17 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

The eyes.

Aug 01, 2014 at 11:12 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.222 #18 · p.222 #18 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Mescalamba wrote:
Lizard..
..he can do probably anything.

So did Jimmy M.

Aug 02, 2014 at 02:49 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.222 #19 · p.222 #19 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

JaKo wrote:
So did Jimmy M.

I know. Its not random..

Aug 02, 2014 at 11:49 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.222 #20 · p.222 #20 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

arduluth wrote:
Sorry! Background blur, not back. A lot going on at work, my mind must have been elsewhere.

ah, the g45 actually seems to do the opposite it always has a little more dof than i expect.

Aug 02, 2014 at 05:29 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password