FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              189      
       191              251       252       end

Archive 2017 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

xbarcelo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.190 #1 · p.190 #1 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thanks so much for the tips, much appreciated!

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:23 AM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.190 #2 · p.190 #2 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

ZE 100

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:30 AM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
p.190 #3 · p.190 #3 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Great shot Wilelm and Carstenw

2/35 ZF

Carl zeiss distagon T* 2/35 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Oct 14, 2013 at 03:55 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.190 #4 · p.190 #4 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Chetan Kulkarn wrote:
I have a bit of an abstract question. I have recently acquired a Zeiss 50 f/2 Makro Planar ZE. And the color, contrast and sharpness are absolutely stunning. I am thinking of upgrading my wide angle to a Zeiss 21 f/2.8 Distagon ZE.

I was just wondering based on experience if the details and clarity of the 21mm are at par with the 50 MP? I just fear I might be disappointed with anything else after using the 50MP. The only other alternative I have in mind is the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L II. Which brings the benefit of zoom
...Show more

I have been bitten by the Zeiss ZE bug myself recently. The reasons why are exactly what you identified in your post - color, contrast and sharpness. As a result, I've just purchased the ZE 21/2.8 and this lens indeed has the same vibrant color, contrast and sharpness you experience with your ZE 50/2 MP. As a matter of fact, I will be purchasing the 50/2 MP to add to my Zeiss arsenal and I will be selling my 16-35 II and replacing it with the Zeiss 15/2.8. While my copy of the 16-35 II is very sharp, corner sharpness is not the 16-35 II's strong suit and doesn't compare with the ZE 21/2.8.

Oct 14, 2013 at 04:53 PM
akul
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.190 #5 · p.190 #5 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thank you guys for your information on the lens barrel. I had not had chance to look at it, but will report back here.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.190 #6 · p.190 #6 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

From a walk-about a couple of weeks ago. D800, [email protected]:

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/CW_ 20131004_NikonD800_0156.jpg

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:15 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.190 #7 · p.190 #7 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Another. Not so interesting, but I love the way this lens renders. D800, [email protected]:

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/CW_ 20131004_NikonD800_0184.jpg

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
p.190 #8 · p.190 #8 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Nice shot Carstenw..especially the last , 85P is a special lens

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.190 #9 · p.190 #9 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Looks nice Carsten. A bit of CA, but rendering is very likeable..

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:56 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.190 #10 · p.190 #10 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

In fact, I find that the 85P has a bit of the same look as the 35/2 Sonnar on the RX1...

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.190 #11 · p.190 #11 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

wfrank - enjoyed P1800 shots
carstenw - I agree the Scania photo not very interesting, but very enjoyable rendering from 85P

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As "explained" earlier I got Sony 24-70 for shooting from boat. Autofocus was real joy to work with, and focus was spot on every shot (I was really doubtful shooting so long time only with manual focus). Also image stabilization works quite well, thou it seems to struggle oddly sometimes (not always) at 1/50s and 1/60s.

In addition to photographing from boat I did "test" lens few times on firm ground. Seems quite OK, but being f/2.8 with rather small lens barrel (=vignetting & crappy bokeh on corners --> in practice for me this is f/4 lens, I try to avoid larger apertures). Corners are soft at 24mm and 26mm, but 28mm it's ok. It's very good (almost ZE quality) from 35mm to 55mm, and at 70mm it's not as good as I would like it to be. I think overall image quality is quite good compromise for having autofocus.

#1 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 2.8/24-70 @ 35mm, f/4, 0.6s, Zeiss polarizer (see fugly bokeh even at f/4 on top left corner)

#2 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 2.8/24-70 @ 40mm, f/4, 1/3s, Zeiss polarizer - I personally like rendering @ this distance very much, very "Zeissy" - thou usable f/2.8 (like in ZE 2/35, ZE 1.4/50 and ZE 2/50) would be nice to have

#3 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 2.8/24-70 @ 35mm, f/4, 1/8s, Zeiss polarizer

#4 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 2.8/24-70 @ 35mm, f/4.5, 1/60s - in this shot f/4.5 was needed to mask the fuglyness in the bokeh

--
Samuli

Oct 17, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.190 #12 · p.190 #12 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Looks like you are mastering your A850 post-processing. What you used for RAWs? Colors seems quite Sony-ish, so Aperture?

Btw. I think bokeh is rather ok on f2.8? (sharpness not tho )

About that SSS not working well on 1/50 or 1/60, thats rather norm for in body stabilisation from Sony (and KM before, my KM-7D does have same issue at 1/25 and 1/30).

Like your pics..

Fly amanita - colors and bit of contrast from Replichrome Kodak Portra 400+ (Frontier). Since Fuji S5 Pro is probably incapable of producing life-like colors I settled with simply tweaking them to be different.

Different variant in Fujifilm dSLR thread (or whatever name that one has ).

Edit: Replaced with invisibly sharper version.

Edited on Oct 21, 2013 at 07:10 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:58 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
p.190 #13 · p.190 #13 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Oct 21, 2013 at 03:13 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.190 #14 · p.190 #14 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thanks guys!

- - -

Splendid colors and unbelievably vivid Ronny.

And Mesca, nice mushroom there.

Samuli, always interesting read. And images. They look very Samulian Zeissy to me (in the best positive sense). And thanks for the word fuglyness.

I've missed your Sony road and it would be interesting to learn where you're heading. I am pretty fed up with Canons zero movement on the sensor scene. Any interest for the Sony A7(/r)? I already wet my feet going NEX so it feels like a logical step though I hate the NEX handling. I am sure the A7 is a bit better but speaking about UI I'll miss the OVF.

Oct 21, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.190 #15 · p.190 #15 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Mescalamba wrote:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3700/10338043736_3f862030d6_o.jpg

Pick that sucker and send it to me... I'll pay shipping!!!

Oct 21, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.190 #16 · p.190 #16 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Heh, what would you do with it? Its probably gone by now. There was small one next to it, but I didnt payed attention to the shutter speed, so I ended just with slightly blurry ones..

Well, its a glass taken with another glass (C/Y 50/1.4 MM). Just fooling around.

Oct 21, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.190 #17 · p.190 #17 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Mescalamba wrote:
Looks like you are mastering your A850 post-processing. What you used for RAWs? Colors seems quite Sony-ish, so Aperture?

Aperture. Sony colors are very hard to make look like Canon - or how I did see the actual scene. If I have time and interest I may want to try Sony's own software (if such exists).

Mescalamba wrote:
Btw. I think bokeh is rather ok on f2.8? (sharpness not tho )

In center of image - yes. On last 5-8mm of image circle - no. Way too small lens to be real f/2.8. Sharpness - hmm, have to admit that I didn't get good understanding about that since photos were useless (due to bokeh) at f/2.8, so I have shoot almost all photos f/4-8. Also lens seems to be stronges between 30mm and 55mm, below 30mm or above 55mm for sure it's not great at f/2.8 - even at f/4 there is quite clear difference between midrange of the zoom vs. far ends of zoom range.

Mescalamba wrote:
Fly amanita - colors and bit of contrast from Replichrome Kodak Portra 400+ (Frontier). Since Fuji S5 Pro is probably incapable of producing life-like colors I settled with simply tweaking them to be different.

?? I think the colors are life-like, if you wouldn't have added blue tint to dark parts of image. At least if it's the same mushroom I have in my mind (Fly amanita is "family" name of some mushrooms - I assume this was Amanita Muscaria, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria )

wfrank wrote:
I've missed your Sony road and it would be interesting to learn where you're heading. I am pretty fed up with Canons zero movement on the sensor scene. Any interest for the Sony A7(/r)? I already wet my feet going NEX so it feels like a logical step though I hate the NEX handling. I am sure the A7 is a bit better but speaking about UI I'll miss the OVF.

My "Sony road" is just for boat shooting, where I need AF - and now after shooting few times from boat I'm also sure that for such use I need zoom as well - no matter how calm it is, the damn boat is always on the move. AF (no liveview==>AF only for me) and Zoom don't make shooting enjoyable process for me - I prefer the relative slow working with 5DmkII&Liveview&sturdy tripod(+Photoclam Multiflex geared ultra-accurate but very "slow" head) AND high quality Zeiss primes. But that is not an option for boat shooting. Of course I tried 24-70 on dry land few times this summer, but it's only because it was new for me and I needed some "tripod time" to evaluate the lens.

I might be minority here, but after all I'm pretty happy to 5DmkII sensor. At some point I was considering upgrading to D800E, but selling all lenses is so big effort that I ended up staying with 5DmkII. Good thing about 5DmkII is that they are dirt cheap, and I personally benefit really much from shooting with 2 bodies - e.g. last Saturday I was shooting with 1.4/35 and 1.4/85 after finally getting 72mm polarizer, and it was really enjoyable just to drop camera bag to ground and change camera and I had different focal length in few seconds (well, about a minute if counting time to change polarizer from lens to other - lesson learned: don't take 2 lenses with same filter thread...).

Some photos from lake Aurejärvi (in Parkano and Ylöjärvi, Finland), from 29th May 2013. First two photos present kind of photos I what to achieve by shooting from boat. 3rd one is just ordinary boring wide angle landscape.

#1 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 2.8/24-70 @ 30mm, f/4, 1/400s

#2 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 2.8/24-70 @ 60mm, f/4, 1/250s

#3 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 2.8/24-70 @ 24mm, f/8, 1/80s, ISO 200 - 24mm can be used, as long as corner blurriness is hidden like in this shot and center is quite OK @ f/5.6-8

--
Samuli

EDIT: corrected type, thousand might still be hidden in the post...

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.190 #18 · p.190 #18 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

I remember some of these pics.

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Aperture. Sony colors are very hard to make look like Canon - or how I did see the actual scene. If I have time and interest I may want to try Sony's own software (if such exists).

Sony Image Data Converter - yes it exists. Not great. And SilkyPix has about same colors too and if you dont need per-pixel lvl of perfect sharpness its rather decent compromise. Maybe colors from that are actually better. Some portrait masters praise it for colors. But obviously, thing is that you dont need that much per-pixel sharpness in portrait as in landscape.

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
?? I think the colors are life-like, if you wouldn't have added blue tint to dark parts of image. At least if it's the same mushroom I have in my mind (Fly amanita is "family" name of some mushrooms - I assume this was Amanita Muscaria, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria )

Actually I thought "Fly Amanita" is just this specific variant. And yes, its Amanita Muscaria (I have that bit of text in Fujifilm dSLR thread, along with different version of this pic).

Heh, Im glad that it seems a bit "real" but it really isnt. It looked quite different in person (that shroom is much brighter and contrastier red). I think that it looks bit more "normal" exactly thanks to those color profiles from Replichrome. Color tints are part of them. Supposedly it mimics film look and colors. I just use it for nice colors (to me). Sometimes it produce at least some tones quite right and suprisingly bit more "real" than normal S5 Pro profiles.

I guess its just cause nobody really cared to profile S5 Pro right. With good color profile I suspect its rather good in this aspect (not saying it doesnt make nice colors, but most converters make either wierd colors, or Fuji stylized ones, neither of these are real). Compared to A850 or A900 color separation, its a bit of joke..

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.190 #19 · p.190 #19 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Mescalamba, languages are weird - I'm not biologist but according to my mushroom book (and wikipedia) in Finland we call the Amanita family of mushrooms "Kärpässienet" (direct english translation "Fly Amanitas" - 's' in the end for blural), and there are tens of different mushrooms on this "family" of mushrooms, one of them being Amanita Muscaria. In English people seem to call one of the Amanita family of mushrooms "Fly Amanita".

Not necessarily nice photo, but "maniac bokeh" makes this worth posting for me - Contax S-Planar T* 2.8/60 @ f/2.8 - the boleh is so crazy that I actually like it...

--
Samuli

Oct 23, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.190 #20 · p.190 #20 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

I think this "maniac bokeh" is actually Planar signature. My 50/1.4 does something very similar at 1.4, just less contrasty and more diffused. Pretty much completely gone at f2.

I sorta like it too. Exactly how you put it "its so crazy that its nice".

As far as mushrooms go, Im usually sticking with latin. Just wasnt sure everyone would know which one it is..
Even tho it doesnt look like it, mushrooms are actually my favorite subject (sometimes even favorite meal ). I hope I will have some decent gear for shooting these more often in the future.

Oct 23, 2013 at 06:50 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.