Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              176      
       178              227       228       end

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

R.Young
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.177 #1 · p.177 #1 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

No! Don't fake it!

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:55 AM
dalegaspi
• •
p.177 #2 · p.177 #2 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

A couple of 135 APO @ f2.0

DSC_1503_v1 by dalegaspi, on Flickr

DSC_1492_v1 by dalegaspi, on Flickr

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:09 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.177 #3 · p.177 #3 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Seeing all those nice 135 images I had to try my humble alternative. From a walk tonight with the almost toylike 70 Euro Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 Zebra edition. Handheld on the NEX. Apologize for ISO400, made a mistake.

Dirty fridge anyone? It's an Electrolux.

Obligatory flower test.

Lots of roofs in old town get cramped with 135mm x 1.5 crop

Jun 09, 2013 at 08:16 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.177 #4 · p.177 #4 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Nice set Wilhelm

Jun 09, 2013 at 08:34 PM
partitura
• •
p.177 #5 · p.177 #5 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Beautiful, Wilhelm.

Jun 09, 2013 at 08:42 PM
sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.177 #6 · p.177 #6 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Nice set Wilhelm. I have exactly the same lens. Isn't good!? Bought it a long time ago on the flea market in Amsterdam like new for 15,-
How is it going with A priority shooting?

BTW you don't need an APO

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:19 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.177 #7 · p.177 #7 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thank you kind people.

Yes Michiel, I have the feeling I get voluntarily ripped off repeatedly at ebay but 15 is honestly a steal. A good steal.

A-prio is working just fine, just need to get a bit more used to it. I blame a grumpy 9-year old walk-companion for the ISO400 mistake :-)

And I agree, it is surprisingly good. Jena produced a whole bunch of 135's, and all seem very capable. I had an Exakta mount 135/4 which broke (mount, not lens), so I wanted to get a replacement. The F/3.5 Zebra is a Pentax M42 and a good thing is that I can use it on the FF Canon to further separate subject from bg.

Here's one shot with the old lens that made me miss it. I need to try the "new" on some people next. Jena 135/4 crocodile edition. Looked like a weapon.

Jun 09, 2013 at 09:51 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.177 #8 · p.177 #8 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

wfrank wrote:
FM gets too few TS-shots!

Here's my little contribution to fixing the problem. Zeiss (Hasselblad) Planar 100/3.5 on Mirex tilt adapter, Canon 5D. I personally tend to use tilt more for "subtle" effects than for "extreme blur" (one example in the second pic below).

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:40 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.177 #9 · p.177 #9 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Proper use of T-S adapter. Nice to see. That last one is very nice example..

Jun 10, 2013 at 05:34 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.177 #10 · p.177 #10 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

I have photographic blackout/coma.

Nah, I have plenty of photos to process, some might be even watchable, but Im soooo annoyed with processing those files. Fuji S5 Pro could be model example of "least-supported-camera-of-all-times". Yea and every last of RAW converters has pretty bad color profiles.. (reason for that might be that all of them use same and only one different is probably LightRoom, but thats just cause its worse than all of them ).

Funny camera really, go buy it.. (and get a gun when you are out there, you will need it).

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

user222
• • •
p.177 #11 · p.177 #11 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Wfrank...wow nice work with that little lens. Mescalamba...great composition.

Taylor Sherman wrote:
I'm still not seeing much from / hearing much about the Distagon 2/25. It's a lens that's been on my radar for a while - it's a good FL on APS, especially with the possibility of a SpeedBooster making it also double as a "real 25mm". The specs look great, and it seems to have a really nice up-close rendering. But I've only seen maybe 10 pictures with one so far.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I have the 2/25. I bought it to replace an outstanding Canon 24 1.4 II. I figured I would like this lens even better (and I do). Agree with what Mescalamba wrote, the lens is very sharp, has some distortion and heavy vignetting wide open.

One thing about this lens...it is extremely well corrected for CA. I think that is what stands out in the design of the lens, and gives it a somewhat unique IQ. Just as the 21 Distagon is distinguished by its sharpness across the frame wide open.

I also chose this lens because it is a tad bit smaller, lighter and more discreet than my former Canon 24. (On a Canon Rebel you might mistake it for the kit lens). It weighs the same as the D21.

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:59 AM
bruniroquai

p.177 #12 · p.177 #12 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

One question guys!

I'm between the 5D or the D700 just for portraits, with a good 85/135 but.. my main concern are.. Focussing screen, EG-S or there is out there some good Focus screen for the d700, same as the EGS?
85 the 1.4G is a beast, fantastic but it has not the soul of the Zeiss.. and the 85L? Pfff.. too big I think and Canon focus.. well We know.

So. D700 with the 85 ZF.2 , good enough even wide open to make 50x70cm prints and would be possible change the normal Focus Screen for a good one as Canon has?

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:37 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.177 #13 · p.177 #13 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Why not go Canon 5D2 with 21 MP instead of those two with 12? If so you could skip ZE/ZF and go for the original, C/Y Contax Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 which is as good or better for those that notice the difference. But it is a dangerous road, there's a whole bunch of great C/Y's out there waiting..

For Nikon I hear some people put the Canon EG-S into their cams so I guess it works, but it is not supported and I think it needs some alteration of the screen.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM
bruniroquai

p.177 #14 · p.177 #14 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Are You sure the C/Y is good or better than the new ZE?

Jun 11, 2013 at 02:58 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.177 #15 · p.177 #15 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Well some would argue that generally the ZEs would be marginally better corrected for various optic deficiencies, have slightly "sharper" MTFs and that newer is always better. And you get a guarantee too. Others would say that the CY have more character, delivers more 3D, better colors and that their build has proven its perfection over time. And one thing that matters to me is that the ZEs have electronic aperture, something which will render them useless for that future upcoming mirrorless FF - whereas the CYs will shine even more than before :-)

But even though I have a bunch of CYs and just one ZE I would be (almost) as happy IQ-wise if it was the other way around.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:14 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.177 #16 · p.177 #16 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

bruniroquai wrote:
Are You sure the C/Y is good or better than the new ZE?

You can go to the Zeiss download center to see what Zeiss' own data sheets say about the lenses. Here's a quick overlay of the CY and ZE MTFs at f1.4; CY = thicker lines, ZE = thinner lines:

For medium and fine detail wide open, the CY actually pulls a bit ahead over most of the frame. Here's the overlay at f5.6:

The ZE has a central frame sharpness/resolution advantage, but over most of the image area the CY again comes out ahead. Even in raw MTF terms (setting aside any preferences for the charming rendering character of the old lenses), the CY's are often as good or better than their modern counterparts (at least in some ways).

I also personally prefer the build quality and design of the older CY lenses. Of course, you lose auto-aperture (but gain a physical aperture ring on the lens, which I like).

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:21 PM
bruniroquai

p.177 #17 · p.177 #17 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

But.. that is not desirable in portraits? Sharp in the center going softer in the edges?

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:15 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.177 #18 · p.177 #18 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Nice graphs mpmendenhall, never seen it done like that.

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:25 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.177 #19 · p.177 #19 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

bruniroquai wrote:
But.. that is not desirable in portraits? Sharp in the center going softer in the edges?

Poorer peripheral sharpness is often considered less problematic for portrait applications, but is unlikely to be considered a positive lens attribute. With a fast lens like this, you generally let the shallow depth of field and subject/background separation provide soft backgrounds around an in-focus subject, rather than relying on poor lens performance to smear out in-focal-plane edge areas. You might not always want portraits with the subject right at the center; and a "portrait" lens can be used for more than portraits. Both the CY and ZE lens are perfectly good lenses, and for particular subjects (and matters of taste), a (slight) advantage could go to either one (and, in most cases, they will be hard to tell apart at all). However, the MTF comparison between the old and new lenses indicates that the old CY is in no general way optically inferior to its ZE counterpart.

Edited on Jun 11, 2013 at 05:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.177 #20 · p.177 #20 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Great shot craig

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:45 PM
1       2       3              176      
       178              227       228       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell