Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              170      
       172              226       227       end

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Greggf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.171 #1 · p.171 #1 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Here are a few taken recently with the 50P, MMJ style!
Gregg

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.171 #2 · p.171 #2 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Greggf wrote:
Ronny Olsson...
...And all your German Shepard shots with the 85P are phenomenal, to say the least!
Gregg

+1.

Apr 28, 2013 at 01:38 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.171 #3 · p.171 #3 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

More with the ZE 35 f/2 on a 6D....

Wife's new car....

Wife tired of photos.........

Dog tired of photos.........

Trees never seem to get tired of photos.........

Apr 28, 2013 at 01:43 AM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.171 #4 · p.171 #4 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thank you very much
Like both of your sets Greggf and Michael ... very good

Here are some more on my dog Nitro .. has posted some before in other zeiss thread

Carl Zeiss 1.4/85 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Apr 29, 2013 at 07:41 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.171 #5 · p.171 #5 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

^ absolutely love your dog photos.

Apr 29, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.171 #6 · p.171 #6 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

C'mon Ronni...your dogs shots are amazing!
Gregg

May 01, 2013 at 05:33 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.171 #7 · p.171 #7 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Went to the beach with the family today. Afterwards, my oldest and I got pizza and I got a little artistic with the C/Y 50 1.4 MMJ...
Gregg

This one shot WO @1.4

May 01, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.171 #8 · p.171 #8 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thanks
Nice set Gregg

Carl zeiss distagon T* 2/35 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

May 01, 2013 at 09:43 AM
Tokigor

p.171 #9 · p.171 #9 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Distagon 35mm f2 on a NEX 3

May 01, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.171 #10 · p.171 #10 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

^^^^ incredible detail in the blossom shots!
Gregg

May 01, 2013 at 02:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tokigor

p.171 #11 · p.171 #11 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thanks Gregg!!!

May 01, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.171 #12 · p.171 #12 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Cool shots too, Ronni...nice use of the 35! Haven't looked at them on my computer yet, but my iPhone, they look really detailed!!
Gegg

May 01, 2013 at 03:50 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.171 #13 · p.171 #13 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Ronny; I really like your PP.

So, is much out there with the new ZE 25/2 yet?

Canon 6D + Zeiss 25/2 by helimat, on Flickr

Canon 6D + Zeiss 25/2 by helimat, on Flickr

Early impressions; Nicely balanced on the 6D. Reminds me more of the ZE 35/2 than the 35/1.4, only with vignetting like I have never seen before.

May 01, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.171 #14 · p.171 #14 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thanks

Helimat: Wow.. love the first shot

May 01, 2013 at 06:21 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.171 #15 · p.171 #15 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Lovely pictures guys.

Since this is a zeiss lens photos and discussion thread, I think this post is appropriate (I don't want to just open a new thread for this). I hope you guys find this useful.

So finally, after a torturous wait of 10 weeks, my converted Contax lenses and the A99 are finally back from S.K. Grimes. The first time they went back, the two lenses were not calibrated correctly for infinity focus (the 85 was a hair off while the 55 was way off). However, the quality of the mounts are the best I have seen so far. Unlike the typical Leitax mount (excellent quality), there is no torsional flex with this mount, understandably so since these are custom made to fit. Adam Dau is very nice to talk to and he did agree to ship my stuff back via Express after the calibration. Top notch service.

Moving on to the next part, I just shot an aperture series at infinity with the Contax 55/1.2 for a performance evaluation on a FF. Initially, it was for my personal archives so I know the strengths at weaknesses of my lenses at various distances; however, I decided to share the result here. I'm thinking doing a bunch of these in the future with whatever Zeiss lens I have in hand. However, if everyone thinks this is useless, I will withdraw the post.

Testing conditions: I used a Feisol-equivalent of a Gitzo series 2 and the tripod was dampened further with my camera bag; there was slight breeze. A remote shutter release was used for all shots.

The test scene and crops:

I believe that the slanted shot is the best way to examine a corner-to-corner performance, a possibility of lens-camera skew/misalignment, and any de-centering and field curvature issue. This was how I discovered the severe astigmatism problem of the ZA 24/2.

3 crops are presented here to show the center, edge, and corner performance.

Processing: These are presented as-is with Lightroom default settings, except for my attempt to match the exposure of the 1st two apertures with the rest by using the exposure slider.

Measured MTFs:

The three MTFs were measured at infinity distance. The last MTF was measured by Marco Cavina. I presented these here so you guys can see the correlation.

Note: That is supposed to be 1.2 not 1.4.

Center:

I tried to match the exposure of 1.2 and 1.4 with other apertures. However, I only presented the matched results in the center; the edge and border are not matched. On the A99 sensor, there is not much different from 4 to 8. f/11 shows a visible drop in contrast, though slightly. On my NEX-7, f/4 would yield the sharpest center while f/8 shows sign of diffraction.

Edge:

Corner:

F/8 would yield the sharpest corner-to-corner result. The drop-off in the corners at f/5.6 is not as steep as suggested in the MTF measurement; my ZF 28/2 has the same drop-off and I can clearly see the mushiness. I would say the corners of the 55 are very sharp at f/8.

Field curvature, centering and other observations:

I see some forward (toward the near field) field curvature at f/4 in mid frame, but by f/5.6, it disappears (or at least not noticeable to me). There is no severe de-centering issue that I can see. CA is not as well-controlled as the latest Zeiss (the 25/2, 15/2.8, or 135/2) but pretty much on bar with rest.

I hope these are helpful for some (especially those with the Canon 50/1.2 L or the 55/1.2 Asph) to gauge the performance of their lenses. I also have the 85/1.2 results, but I'll wait to see any feedback from you guys to see if I need to improve the test. Hopefully, by this weekend, I have enough time to shoot some "real" shots.

*Update: Added Field Curvature and Centering Analysis.

Edited on May 01, 2013 at 09:55 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.171 #16 · p.171 #16 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

hiepphotog -- Very nice, thanks!

How about the opposite corner to check for alignment and check that field curvature?

May 01, 2013 at 09:09 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.171 #17 · p.171 #17 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

^^ Thanks Jim, I just added the field curvature and centering/alignment section as requested. If more people find this useful, I'll post a similar write-up for the 85/1.2 and the 28/2 I currently have.

May 01, 2013 at 11:04 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.171 #18 · p.171 #18 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Very interesting results! Some comments:

- The left side appears closer than the right, with the middle somewhere in between. Where did you focus? It is possible that a small amount of the softness loss is due to incorrect focusing plane for one or another shot. It would be nice to eliminate this by shooting something square on.

- This is just one distance, somewhere close to but not at infinity. I would be interested to see close-up and perhaps two mid distances as well, perhaps 3m and 10m.

- CA is not easy to judge in some parts of these images. Maybe another test series with tree branches?

- Flare/veiling flare is not possible to judge here. Maybe another series?

May 02, 2013 at 09:02 AM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.171 #19 · p.171 #19 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

^^ I actually used the center point on the A99 to focus with max zooming (focus was on the two vehicles in front of the building), so it was just the way I cropped that might make it look a bit off. With this shot, I don't need to worry about shooting squared on (that is the perk of shooting at infinity). All crops are at sufficient distance to be treated as they are on the same plane. This can be seen when look at the centering/misalignment crop (left and right essentially have the same softness toward the corners). As for the softness at 1.2, I would say it's still better than all the 50ish 1.2 I have tried before. Infinity test under bright sun is very demanding for any lens at this speed.

- Testing at any other distance less than infinity would require a much more careful alignment. I'm thinking of a set-up that is repeatable for future testing, but I have not come up with a good solution.

- I mainly look at in-focus/primary LoCA (the center crop) and TCA (those net hanging poles on the left). They're not presented on the crops. But tree branches and chrome surfaces can be done.

- Contrast loss due to flare can be done. I'll add that later.

Thank you for the comments Carsten. I hope my responses are satisfactory enough. I'm coming up with a fixed routine that can be used repeatably for future testing/comparison.

May 02, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.171 #20 · p.171 #20 · Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Thanks for the added images and clarification. Very interesting!

I'm impressed with the low color fringing of this lens.

May 02, 2013 at 01:50 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password