Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2011 · Recent Alt used lens prices

jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Recent Alt used lens prices

Here's a few figures to show recent used lens prices on eBay for some popular Alternative lenses. It's quite possible some effects from the recent disaster in Japan are evident, but other trends are also significant. Note that the flat parts of the price curves for the SMC Pentax-A* 200/4 Macro are for times when there were no sales observed between Lens$db updates, as these lenses are relatively scarce.

I also posted a similar thread on the Canon forum, where recent price increases are very dramatic for some EF lenses, http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1007317.

May 08, 2011 at 07:09 PM
crazeazn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Recent Alt used lens prices

time to buy and hold in the bull market! bwahahhaha

May 08, 2011 at 07:16 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Recent Alt used lens prices

crazeazn wrote:
time to buy and hold in the bull market! bwahahhaha

Time to sell and repurchase when prices drop back down a bit (fall?), at least if all you care about are the economics.

May 08, 2011 at 07:23 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Recent Alt used lens prices

You are both right, depending on whether the lens is an investment for you, or a lens you want to end up with

May 08, 2011 at 09:01 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Recent Alt used lens prices

The alt lens market is a source of endless fascination, will it grow over time?

Will other high end optics makers folow Zeiss into the aftermarket - Voigtlander to extend what they have on offer, Leica an entry? will the low end makers (Sigma, Tokina, Samyang, Tamron) continue to flourish and close on established OEM makers like Canon, Nikon?

How sticky are the factors keeping OEM zealots 'at home'? How important will lens AF be in a world of EVF, LV and SLT? Will the main players go in-body SSS some day soon? Will lens speed continue to dominate design?

Investors, whether trading in lenses or anything else, must perforce be emotionally distant from the goods they trade - does that really describe many of those here on FM Alt? There are obviously a lot of 'triers not buyers', people fishing around for what they want, and indeed learning what they want.

Thanks again, Jim - these data are a small look into some of my questions. Sales figures are held close, but it would be *very* interesting to know how many ZE/ZF lenses CZ have sold, the trend over time, and numbers by lens type.

May 08, 2011 at 09:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Recent Alt used lens prices

You're welcome, Philip. I've been tracking ZE lens sales. Based on eBay used sales, there have been more 21/2.8 and 50/1.4 sales than all others combined. Of course, I have no idea about the sales of new ZE lenses.

May 08, 2011 at 10:10 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #7 · Recent Alt used lens prices

this type of volatility lets me enjoy photography more. what kind of hobby retains most of its value or even appreciates while you you utilize the hardware!

May 08, 2011 at 11:11 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Recent Alt used lens prices

Jim, the last 2 Mamiya 200 APO 645's went for $830 and $900 (not that I'm looking for one )
Mike
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Lenses-/3323/i.html?rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=mamiya%20645%20200mm&_dmpt=Camera_Lenses&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1

May 09, 2011 at 12:11 AM
metagraphica
• •
p.1 #9 · Recent Alt used lens prices

mcbroomf wrote:
Jim, the last 2 Mamiya 200 APO 645's went for $830 and $900 (not that I'm looking for one )
Mike

I was going to post this as well. (oh, and I'm not looking for one either. )

May 09, 2011 at 12:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Recent Alt used lens prices

Thanks guys. The average $702 price for the A 200/2.8 APO includes the $900 sale. It doesn't include the $830 sale, and so I must have updated my prices just before the $830 sale happened. Many Alt and Canon lenses have their highest sale prices in the last few weeks, but the average price takes a while to reflect changing trends. I've added the $830 sale, and the average price is now $716.

$716 =AVERAGE(830,900,785,753,699,598,598,640,640)

If there are a few more sales above $800 in the next few weeks, I'll drop the previous sales below $600, and the average price will go up quite a bit.

May 09, 2011 at 01:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kakomu
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Recent Alt used lens prices

Maybe it's not the most important or popular, but manual focus Nikon lenses have been increasing steadily over the past couple years. I purchased a Nikkor 50 f/1.4 Ai for ~ $90 at KEH. The same lens in the same condition sells for over $200 now. I bought a 180 f/2.8 ED for a little less than $200. It's now priced at over $400.

May 09, 2011 at 04:19 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Recent Alt used lens prices

kakomu wrote:
Maybe it's not the most important or popular, but manual focus Nikon lenses have been increasing steadily over the past couple years. I purchased a Nikkor 50 f/1.4 Ai for ~ $90 at KEH. The same lens in the same condition sells for over $200 now. I bought a 180 f/2.8 ED for a little less than $200. It's now priced at over $400.

I have no doubt the prices have gone up but KEH in particular seems to have increased some of their prices above going rates recently. They once were more reasonable and competitive but they seem to expect to lead the market now with regard to price increases.

May 09, 2011 at 04:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Recent Alt used lens prices

Tariq, you're exactly right. KEH prices have gone up dramatically this past month, even more for EOS lenses than for most Alts. I decided to leave updating the Lens$db prices for KEH listings until later this month, just before my next Lens$db update release. Based on what's happening on eBay, I expect KEH prices may go even higher. Other shops haven't been so aggressive with price increases, but that can change in a day.

May 09, 2011 at 05:03 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Recent Alt used lens prices

jcolwell wrote:
Tariq, you're exactly right. KEH prices have gone up dramatically this past month, even more for EOS lenses than for most Alts. I decided to leave updating the Lens$db prices for KEH listings until later this month, just before my next Lens$db update release. Based on what's happening on eBay, I expect KEH prices may go even higher. Other shops haven't been so aggressive with price increases, but that can change in a day.

keh prices have gone up crazily, but only for particular brands. zeiss prices have doubled or tripled in the past year while minolta and olympus have remained largely steady.

May 09, 2011 at 05:06 PM
JaanOs
• •
p.1 #15 · Recent Alt used lens prices

sebboh wrote:
keh prices have gone up crazily, but only for particular brands. zeiss prices have doubled or tripled in the past year while minolta and olympus have remained largely steady.

It is not about the brand, more like about well known performer. I promise- if I find interesting lens I wont promote it`s ability in forums Just keeping quietly taking pictures. So my conscience is clear from raving inflation.

I buy 6-7 years ago mint "new old stock" Minolta SRT-101 with 58/1.2 little bit over 200$ from ebay. I was only surprised about the condition, there were ones going for 120-180 this time. Few years after normal price for a used lens were 350-400$. So this is not just about last 3-4 year trend And of course it goes with waves. I think the Rokkor prices has gone down from peak, I remember had seen sold one with defective aperture around 500$.

C/Y Zeiss is bargain no matter the price have doubled. Psychological barrier I call it Was bit late to have Planar 50/1.7 - just to compare with few 50/1.4 AE/MM ones I have. Now they are going way over the price I pay for 1.4-s. Hard decision. No remorse or quilt however buying new 35/1.4 ZE

May 10, 2011 at 06:21 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Recent Alt used lens prices

JaanOs wrote:
It is not about the brand, more like about well known performer. I promise- if I find interesting lens I wont promote it`s ability in forums Just keeping quietly taking pictures. So my conscience is clear from raving inflation.

I buy 6-7 years ago mint "new old stock" Minolta SRT-101 with 58/1.2 little bit over 200$ from ebay. I was only surprised about the condition, there were ones going for 120-180 this time. Few years after normal price for a used lens were 350-400$. So this is not just about last 3-4 year trend And of course it goes
...Show more

but the rokkor 58/1.2 and zuiko 50/2 macro are both well known world class performers, yet their prices have remained pretty steady in the ~$500 range for the last 3 years (i've been looking for bargains on both those for that entire time) while the low end c/y lenses and the contax g lenses have doubled or worse in the same time. i have to say, i think whatever lenses get hyped as bargains on this forum shoot up in price. 5 years ago that was the rokkor, these days the forum seems very zeiss centric. not trying to drive down prices since i'm not in the market for any of these, but i think current prices (ebay sold prices and keh asking prices) for c/y 25/2.8, 28/2.8, 45/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.7, and 85/2.8 have gotten a bit ridiculous. definitely not what i would call a bargain anymore - $750 for a 28/2.8 $350 for a 50/1.7!!

May 10, 2011 at 07:07 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Recent Alt used lens prices

sebboh wrote:
definitely not what i would call a bargain anymore - $750 for a 28/2.8 $350 for a 50/1.7!!

Ridiculous prices! It's a good thing KEH is not speculating in oil! Seriously though, I know that KEH has been buying up a lot of gear over the past few years from retail camera stores with old stock or those going out of business. I have also noticed that the availability of a number of lenses (and cameras) has dramatically decreased over this same period. My bet is that KEH has aspirations to regain some of the control it once had in the used camera market pre-ebay. This, of course, would be really bad news for the consumer.

May 10, 2011 at 11:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Recent Alt used lens prices

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Ridiculous prices!

+1

May 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Recent Alt used lens prices

Kevincameras also buys up and resells a lot of desirable exotic glass. He corners the ebay market then inflates the price.

May 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #20 · Recent Alt used lens prices

thrice wrote:
Kevincameras also buys up and resells a lot of desirable exotic glass. He corners the ebay market then inflates the price.

The same thing use to happen here. Buy a bunch of copies of one lens for testing purposes report how great they are and then sell them at a much higher price.

May 10, 2011 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password