FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2011 · Rokinon 85mm vs Zeiss Quick Test

Greggf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Rokinon 85mm vs Zeiss Quick Test

for some reason, the link isn't working...so copy and paste, and it should work...sorry
Gregg

Oct 04, 2011 at 12:35 AM
ZoneV
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Rokinon 85mm vs Zeiss Quick Test

Here your link again - to click directly:
https://picasaweb.google.com/112876940890442133557/CY8514MMJVsRokinon8514?authuser=0&feat=directlink#

I find the micocontrast and contrast in the Rok f2 and 1.4 named pictures are better than those of the Zeiss ones. But nothing is mixed up?
Has Samyang found the way to get Zeiss microcontrast?

I own a Zeiss 85/1.4 (C/Y) AE - but doesn´t love it very much because of its jigsaw iris, and sometimes bad image quality when used with extension tubes. But the mechanics is great - read that the Samynag has sometimes a stuck iris (had that with my Sam 14/2.8 too).

Oct 04, 2011 at 03:08 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Rokinon 85mm vs Zeiss Quick Test

Hi Zone...All the pics are straight from camera-LR3-Picasaweb....
the results speak for themselves. The Rokinon holds its own, and I think it might even be a tad sharper wide open!! I'll post some more here in a bit, too. I have some walk around pictures with the 2 lenses.

Gregg

Oct 04, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Rokinon 85mm vs Zeiss Quick Test

Added some more pics to the comparison..here is the link again...you might have to copy/paste...
Gregg
https://picasaweb.google.com/112876940890442133557/CY8514MMJVsRokinon8514?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Oct 04, 2011 at 01:14 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Rokinon 85mm vs Zeiss Quick Test

Gregg -- The Rok seems to really hold its own against the C/Y!

From these samples, it looks to me like the Rok is about 1/2 stop faster/lighter overall (making the C/Y appear more saturated). The Vine Street sign indicates that you might be right that the Rok is sharper at wider apertures. It is hard to tell because of the difference in exposure, but the C/Y might have better contrast when closed down to 5.6 and beyond.

If my B&H labeled version is as good as your Rok, I'll be a happy guy! I don't have another fast 85 to compare it to, but I can see how if matches at smaller apertures against my C/Y Zeiss 80-200/4 and my 24-70/2.8L, both of which I am happy with.

Oct 04, 2011 at 01:53 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Rokinon 85mm vs Zeiss Quick Test

I dont think C/Y is more saturated, from samples I saw I think Samyang simply doesnt have same color transfer as C/Y lens. Thats probably why it has bit "washed/whitened out" look. And well, no micro-contrast, which is pretty much one of main reasons why to buy Zeiss.

Oct 08, 2011 at 07:40 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.