Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2011 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

phil hawkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

nanogram wrote:
Holy crap how did it fall apart? glass unmounted from frame? yikes...

In my case, I was taking it off the camera and the top two parts fell in my hand leaving the threads stuck on my lens. It took me 10 minutes to get it off.

May 01, 2011 at 04:25 PM
Fern Trujillo

p.2 #2 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

I was working on some shots this past saturday and while rotating the Hoya it came apart also in three pieces,

I guess few things are made like they used to....

May 24, 2011 at 08:47 PM
pw-pix
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Hmmm, makes me happy I ordered the Marumi Super DHG polariser, was thinking of going with the Hoya HD a few days ago.

May 25, 2011 at 02:24 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Hey Fern, welcome to FM

It's been years since I bought a filter but I recall having a Hoya filter fall apart on me. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it without hassle. I got the impression that they had seen it before.

Brands like B+W were unknown to me until I joined FM. It seems that Hoya is the only big name filter brand here in Oz.

- Alan

May 25, 2011 at 06:23 PM
Daniel Morris

p.2 #5 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

My Hoya 77mm Circ-Pol exploded in my hand. Just completely fell apart. I had ordered from 2filter.com and since the filter was within the warranty time period, I was able to exchange it. I have a B&H Kasemann circ-pol now, and it is fantastic.

May 25, 2011 at 07:46 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

i have the HD slim 77 cir-pol, never had any issues, had at least 3 yrs now, used quite often too.

s

May 25, 2011 at 08:30 PM
Adam Schallau
• •
p.2 #7 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Phil,

I've owned Hoya HD polarizers in 67mm, 77mm, and 82mm sizes. So far all but the 82mm have fallen apart, with all three of my 77s falling apart. I've discussed this at length with Hoya and they have always denied (or avoided admitting to) having a problem, but they did replace a couple of them under warranty. The funny thing was that Hoya said the replacements were a newer design and would not fall apart like early production units. Hoya had a such a terrible attitude after my last filter fell apart that I told them I was done and would not buy any more of their products or recommend them to my workshop students...I doubt they care but people need to know.

May 25, 2011 at 08:40 PM
huddy
• • •
p.2 #8 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

I haven't bought any of the Hoya HD filters... All of mine are older Super HMC's and they are doing just fine. I bought Marumi Super DHG PL's and I'm glad I didn't waste my money on the Hoya.

May 25, 2011 at 10:12 PM
Tomser
• •
p.2 #9 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Just the other day I had a B&W polarizer fall apart, fwiw .
Old, but hardly ever used .

May 26, 2011 at 12:58 AM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Update; just got back from 3 weeks of back-to-back workshops, and saw 4 filters disintegrate, one was bought the day before. I'm done with Hoya...

Jun 01, 2011 at 03:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris Moy
• • •
p.2 #11 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Same here My 77mm Hoya polarizing has fallen apart a few times. Twice the outer portion went crashing to the concrete floor. I've been lucky and have been able to put it back together. I'll be replacing it with a B+W when I can no longer put the Hoya back together.

Jun 01, 2011 at 05:58 PM
Fern Trujillo

p.2 #12 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Alan, Thanks for the welcome.

IT was replaced under warranty and the new one lasted 3 days ;-(

Looking to definitively replace it for something else...

Jun 26, 2011 at 01:04 AM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Update report: 6/25/11 5 day workshop, 4 students, and all Hoya Filters stayed together. None failed. Guess we were living right.

Jun 26, 2011 at 04:07 AM
oadmutis
• •
p.2 #14 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Chris Moy wrote:
Same here My 77mm Hoya polarizing has fallen apart a few times. Twice the outer portion went crashing to the concrete floor. I've been lucky and have been able to put it back together. I'll be replacing it with a B+W when I can no longer put the Hoya back together.

My 77mm Hoya CPL fell apart this weekend, this is the first time that happens to me. I was trying to take it off my lens and I ended up with the 2 top parts in my hand while leaving the thread stuck on the lens. Mine is more than 3 years old and out of warranty, I will have to fix it myself or send it for repair to thkphoto.com offices.
Chris, do you have a specific procedure oh how you put it back together?

Oct 18, 2011 at 06:19 PM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Forget it. I have tried to put them back together and it's very much like trying to put new piston rings on an automobile engine rebuild; almost impossible to do w/o the right tools, and won't be really right when done (without the right tools).

Oct 18, 2011 at 06:56 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Are the ones that are falling apart made with brass threads?

Sounds like the threads are binding and the filter can't take the stress and falls apart.

Oct 18, 2011 at 07:49 PM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

I can't say I have ever seen and brass on them, but that doesn't mean there aren't. I really don't know.

Oct 18, 2011 at 08:01 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

Just curious. B+W makes a point of pointing out that their CPOLs have "Rugged Black Brass Filter Ring" (maybe not all of them) and in my experience, brass is a much more user friendly material and more binding resistant than Aluminum is... heavy though.

I have no idea if that contributed to your issue, I was just curious. Thanks!

Oct 18, 2011 at 09:29 PM
oadmutis
• •
p.2 #19 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

phil hawkins wrote:
Forget it. I have tried to put them back together and it's very much like trying to put new piston rings on an automobile engine rebuild; almost impossible to do w/o the right tools, and won't be really right when done (without the right tools).

Thanks Phil, I sent an email to thkphoto.com offices asking for a quote and they say that it usually costs $30 to put it back together, and then I have to add the shipping costs.

In the other hand, I found this contact: http://maxsaver.net/B-W-77mm-Kaesemann-MRC-Circular-Polarizer-Filter.aspx , a B+W CPL Kaesemann for less than $130. They are Honk-Kong based and they seem pretty legit. Has anyone here dealt with them in the past?

+o

Oct 20, 2011 at 02:00 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Hoya filters falling apart!!

I have had two fall apart.

Oct 20, 2011 at 02:07 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register