FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              52      
       end

Shooting with Tubes

danski0224
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.53 #1 · p.53 #1 · Shooting with Tubes

Extension tubes are great for reducing the minimum focus distance of a lens, not necessarily just for macro

Aug 19, 2017 at 08:26 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.53 #2 · p.53 #2 · Shooting with Tubes

Xpro1, 16mm extention tube & old canon 50 mm 1.4.

Sep 17, 2017 at 04:04 PM
eagleshadow70

p.53 #3 · p.53 #3 · Shooting with Tubes

I'm new too photography and have just ordered some extension tubes, want to do Macro stuffs so this is just in time for me.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:04 PM
eagleshadow70

p.53 #4 · p.53 #4 · Shooting with Tubes

I'm new too photography and have just ordered some extension tubes, want to do Macro stuffs so this is just in time for me.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:37 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #5 · p.53 #5 · Shooting with Tubes

danski0224 wrote:
Extension tubes are great for reducing the minimum focus distance of a lens, not necessarily just for macro

Absolutely, though there are tradeoffs that make use of tubes challenging. The focal plane narrows even when stopping down. You also lose infinity focus. I still enjoy using tubes despite the fact I don't do classical macro work. They don't solve all problems but they do permit us to get close to subjects, which can yield some interesting results. We need more photos to prove that fact...

Dec 03, 2017 at 10:36 PM
KankRat
• •
p.53 #6 · p.53 #6 · Shooting with Tubes

Not many exciting insects to be found in Chicago in December. So here is a stinkbug.
Stinkbug (1 of 1) by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Dec 05, 2017 at 06:08 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.53 #7 · p.53 #7 · Shooting with Tubes

That is an attention grabber Mark. You might want to tell us the setup you're using for this since part of what we're doing with this thread is helping folks decide what gear they might wish to use for this kind of shooting. Tubes are a given, of course, but they can be used many different ways. Thanks for posting.

Dec 05, 2017 at 09:15 PM
KankRat
• •
p.53 #8 · p.53 #8 · Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl wrote:
That is an attention grabber Mark. You might want to tell us the setup you're using for this since part of what we're doing with this thread is helping folks decide what gear they might wish to use for this kind of shooting. Tubes are a given, of course, but they can be used many different ways. Thanks for posting.

Of course. My bad.
Here is the deal. I used a Nikon D7000. The lens, a well used 50mm f1.8, Ai-S with all kinds of dust, a hair and possibly a mold spot. I believe this shows when you reverse the lens.
The full stack of Fotodiox extension tubes.
off camera flash using a SB-28 and a Vello diffuser. I had my staff (Will, my 11 year old, avid critter catcher) usually in charge of subject acquisition, also double as lighting directer. He held the flash.

Here is the deal. I also have a reversal ring with and I kept switching back and forth, so I am only about 95% sure the lens was not reversed.

this shot was a test for exposure and it's actually like 2 stops underexposed, the right side more. The image recieved lots of tweakage in LR.

This is challenging photography a lot to go wrong, especially when your subject is moving with the depth of field about 3mm.
I would recommend a noob photographer maybe start out with a real macro lens or those screw on diopters. Use back button AF and a single point.

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:46 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.53 #9 · p.53 #9 · Shooting with Tubes

What went absolutely right with this shoot was the presence of an assistant who will likely be enough intrigued by what dad was doing with all that gear, that he might want to pick up a real camera with a real lens attached at some future date. Yes, taking photos with a smartphone is easy and can be convenient, but picking up a well made camera and ESPECIALLY a manual focus lens is a much different experience. You likely don't realize this but my real passion is Manual Focus Nikon Glass. Since you already own one, you might want to check out my other thread that has been active for over seven years. At the moment it is a bit slow, but there have been times when that conversation has been electric, with participants from around the world. In the meantime, keep working with your "critter catcher" and share what you find...

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.53 #10 · p.53 #10 · Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl wrote:
You likely don't realize this but my real passion is Manual Focus Nikon Glass.

I share that passion, at least for the Printing-Nikkors:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/5237#13394976

Harold

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:17 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.53 #11 · p.53 #11 · Shooting with Tubes

Harold, any manual focus Nikon lens qualifies for that thread. What you do with those lenses, especially with tubes mounted, really belongs on this thread as well. I love what you contribute to this thread. In many ways you've husbanded this thread much more than I have. Thanks for that.

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:24 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.53 #12 · p.53 #12 · Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl wrote:
Harold, any manual focus Nikon lens qualifies for that thread. What you do with those lenses, especially with tubes mounted, really belongs on this thread as well. I love what you contribute to this thread. In many ways you've husbanded this thread much more than I have. Thanks for that.

Curtis,

I rarely use tubes myself now, having been a regular user in the past. They are (several) tubes integral to my Printing-Nikkor 105mm setup but I am doing a lot of higher magnification (up to 7:1) without tubes, with other glass, even so running out of working distance in many situations.

I like to pop in here occasionally, to see what is not to be found in individual topics. I make a comment if I find myself where it might be useful but don't search the posts.

Harold

Dec 06, 2017 at 09:13 AM
KankRat
• •
p.53 #13 · p.53 #13 · Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl wrote:
What went absolutely right with this shoot was the presence of an assistant who will likely be enough intrigued by what dad was doing with all that gear, that he might want to pick up a real camera with a real lens attached at some future date. Yes, taking photos with a smartphone is easy and can be convenient, but picking up a well made camera and ESPECIALLY a manual focus lens is a much different experience. You likely don't realize this but my real passion is Manual Focus Nikon Glass. Since you already own one, you might want to
...Show more

Thanks. Both of my boys have been brought up in the outdoors since they were little.
Fishing, hiking, camping, canoeing, kayaking etc.
Both have cameras. My 15 year old took my F80 and shot film last year on a recent church youth group trip.

As for me, I am 52 and shot film since high school, where we had an awesome photography program. I shot and developed every format up to 4X5. My camera most of my life was the FM2 with 50 f1.8 (that 50 1.8). I also have the 80-200mm zoom, this one or similar to it.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f45-n.htm
So I am no stranger to manual focus.
I am enamored the quality and workmanship of old Ai lenses and would have an extensive collection. However most of the stuff I shoot is moving, and I have learned to love autofocus. The back button af was a game changer for me as it reminded me of using the focusing aid on my FM2 then recomposing and shooting. I use it all the time, for pretty much everything.
I feel like I am getting the best of both worlds.
I almost jumped the Nikon ship and swam to the Pentax line because I thought, and still think the Limited primes are totally the bomb. I was so close to buying K5 instead of the D7000, purley because those lenses reminded me of AI-S. . If a K3 comes my way cheap, I may have to take the plunge.

Dec 06, 2017 at 06:25 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.53 #14 · p.53 #14 · Shooting with Tubes

That's the 80-200 f/4.5 recommended by folks on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread. I even have a photo of the rear of the lens to demonstrate which version to buy... off topic... though I've loved using that lens with extension tubes...

80.200.4.5.RearElement by Curtis Grindahl, on Flickr

And to bring it back to topic... this shot with that lens and a 36mm Vivitar tube... one of my Top 15 photos. This was shot in bright sunlight around noon. Spot metering on my D700 worked its magic.

Dec 06, 2017 at 07:41 PM
KankRat
• •
p.53 #15 · p.53 #15 · Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl wrote:
That's the 80-200 f/4.5 recommended by folks on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread. I even have a photo of the rear of the lens to demonstrate which version to buy... off topic... though I've loved using that lens with extension tubes...

Off topic too but..
Mine does not have the square baffle, but it is silky smooth zooming and focusing and just impeccable contruction.
Check out the quality here. I know this is a lame static shot, but man to my eyes tahooks awfully good.

Frawg by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:18 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.53 #16 · p.53 #16 · Shooting with Tubes

Having recently stated, here, that I don't use tubes these days, I have dived back in at the deep end. Having posted this as a full topic, and cross-posted elsewhere, I realised that it was also relevant here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1524396.

Essentially, it shows how a lens costing about Ł10, together with tubes (helicoids are more flexible) and a Raynox MSN-202 (ca Ł90) can give up to ca 10:1 macro for less than Ł150 on m4/3.

Harold

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:28 AM
asiostygius
• • • •
p.53 #17 · p.53 #17 · Shooting with Tubes

Crazy experiment: supertele with tubes for close ups!

The combo:

Sony A7RII + 2 PN11 tubes + Nikkor 800mm f5.6 ai-s EDIF by Jose, on Flickr

D7200 + Nikkor-S 5.8cm f1.4 aiŽd, ISO 200, wide open at 1/1600s. Pano with 2 images.

Sony A7RII + 2 PN11 tubes to reduce MFD of Nikkor 800mm f5.6 ai-s EDIF by Jose, on Flickr

D7200 + Nikkor S 58mm f1.4 aiŽd, ISO 110, wide open at 1/1600s.
11 focus stacked images.

And some results:
The usual suspects as models
All with Sony A7RII + Fotasy adapter + 2x PN11 tubes (105mm) + Nikkor 800mm f/5.6 ai-s EDIF + tripod, ~4.7m of distamce. The MFD of naked tele is 8m!

Sayaca Tanager close up with a 800mm tele + tubes by Jose, on Flickr

ISO 1000, f/11 at 1/160s; 72% cropped (30.3/42.2MP).

Sayaca Tanager close up by Jose, on Flickr

ISO 1600, f/11 at 1/320s; some cropping.

Even at f/11 at this distance and with tubes the DOF is truly thin.

Jan 16, 2018 at 06:39 PM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.53 #18 · p.53 #18 · Shooting with Tubes

asiostygius wrote:
Crazy experiment: supertele with tubes for close ups!

The combo:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4608/39694545532_9589300cc5_b.jpgSony A7RII + 2 PN11 tubes + Nikkor 800mm f5.6 ai-s EDIF by Jose, on Flickr

D7200 + Nikkor-S 5.8cm f1.4 aiŽd, ISO 200, wide open at 1/1600s. Pano with 2 images.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4676/39016375994_0ce7ab6eb9_b.jpgSony A7RII + 2 PN11 tubes to reduce MFD of Nikkor 800mm f5.6 ai-s EDIF by Jose, on Flickr

D7200 + Nikkor S 58mm f1.4 aiŽd, ISO 110, wide open at 1/1600s.
11 focus stacked images.

And some results:
The usual suspects as models
All with Sony A7RII + Fotasy adapter + 2x PN11 tubes (105mm) + Nikkor 800mm f/5.6 ai-s EDIF + tripod, ~4.7m of
...Show more

Holy cow! These are amazing!

Jan 16, 2018 at 07:54 PM
       end

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password