Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              41       42       end

Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Shooting with Tubes

Are you using a reversing ring mounted at the end of the extension tube?

This is an interesting idea. I have a reversing ring and have used it with the 24 f/2.8 AI-s and it gets me incredibly close to my subject, but I haven't tried slipping an extension tube into the mix. You're breathtakingly close with these shots. And by kit lens what do you mean? I'm curious...

Here's another shot taken this afternoon with a 36mm tube attached to the 200 f/4 AI-s, which cut the minimum focusing distance of this lens down to about 24-30 inches.

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM · View previous versions

May 10, 2011 at 01:19 AM
Gehjl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Shooting with Tubes

That's exactly what I did, put the reversing ring at the end of the extension tubes and used the 18-55mm lens reversed (Kit lens). I believe those were shot with the kit lens being around 26mm? I don't exactly remember.

To get an idea of how close I get, the first flower in my previous post is one of the flowers you see in this shot. This was shot with 49mm in extension tubes and 50mm lens. So I believe this is a 1:1 magnification

May 10, 2011 at 02:02 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Shooting with Tubes

Clearly you're having fun, which is what photography is all about, especially for folks not trying to make a living from it. That little kit lens is doing quite well, judging from these shots. Thanks for sharing...

I'd love to know your first name so I could refer to you in person rather by username. You could drop it into your profile as many folks do.

May 10, 2011 at 06:02 AM
Gehjl
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Shooting with Tubes

Interesting, did not know you could just hover of the profile button and it shows you all that.

Thanks for the tip Curtis. Hopefully one day my profile list can be as long as yours.

May 10, 2011 at 01:28 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Shooting with Tubes

Nice to meet you Alex! Congratulations on having completed your college education. That is a wonderful accomplishment and should serve you well as you launch yourself into the world of work as a professional.

What I find delightful is that with addition of extension tubes you take a very modest kit and create some very interesting images. Doubtless as you become established in your career with a bit of disposable income, you'll wish to expand you kit. Macro photography may very well be something you'll wish to pursue, though, as I've learned, you don't need a macro lens to do that. Nothing wrong with having a good macro lens at your disposal, of course, and there are some attractive options available should you go that way.

Keep the shots coming Alex and thanks for sharing your name with all of us.

May 10, 2011 at 03:40 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Shooting with Tubes

Here's another shot taken yesterday with the 200 f/4 AI-s with a 36mm tube attached.

And here is a 50% crop to get a bit closer.

f/11

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM · View previous versions

May 10, 2011 at 03:44 PM
Gehjl
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Shooting with Tubes

CGrindahl wrote:
Nice to meet you Alex! Congratulations on having completed your college education. That is a wonderful accomplishment and should serve you well as you launch yourself into the world of work as a professional.

What I find delightful is that with addition of extension tubes you take a very modest kit and create some very interesting images. Doubtless as you become established in your career with a bit of disposable income, you'll wish to expand you kit. Macro photography may very well be something you'll wish to pursue, though, as I've learned, you don't need a macro lens to do
...Show more

Nice to meet you too Curtis! And thanks for the kind words. I start my corporate job on June 27th and I look forward to getting some income in to help with my young addiction.

It's amazing what a pair of extension tubes can do, it opens up a whole new world basically and when you're on a college student budget, I have find ways to work around my limited kit. My new idea is a reversed lens on top of a 55-250mm that my brother in law let me borrow. Tried taking a few pictures with it, but they're not as sharp as I want them to be, it was hard hand holding the 50mm reversed on top of the lens extended to 250, while hand holding the camera. Waiting for my step up ring to come.

May 10, 2011 at 06:32 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Shooting with Tubes

Fun thread! Thought I'd toss in a couple more....

May 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Shooting with Tubes

GORGEOUS shots Greg! Checking the EXIF data I see at least the last one was shot with the 35-105 on a D90. What length tube were you using? Inquiring minds want to know...

May 10, 2011 at 10:51 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Shooting with Tubes

I don't ordinarily post shots here I've posted elsewhere on FM but I really like this shot taken today shortly before noon. I'd taken a friend to a doctor's appointment in Sausalito and had half an hour to ramble around. I visited a Catholic church on the hillside I'd visited before and took this photo of cala lilies in front of the rector's home. This was shot with the 200 f/4 AI-s with a 36mm tube attached... f/11 shooting manual mode at 1/250th of a second. I bought this lens on E-Bay for $89 and it is one of my best...

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 04:16 AM · View previous versions

May 11, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gregfountain
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Shooting with Tubes

Now that you point it out Curtis, on the 35-105 shot, I actually didn't use a tube. Sorry, I know this is a tube thread, I just forgot I didn't use one on that shot. The 35-105 features a "Macro" focus function that extends beyond the 105 range, and requires manual focus. But no tube.

Greg

May 11, 2011 at 07:39 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Shooting with Tubes

Boy are you in trouble now...

My guess is you'll remember next time. Please bring in more work. I like what you share.

May 11, 2011 at 07:53 AM
Gehjl
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Shooting with Tubes

I love that last picture Curtis! Came out very nice.

I'm trying to find some new places with flowers to take pictures besides my backyard but I can't see myself spending 25 bucks to go at the botanical garden by my house. I would rather visit butterfly world for that price and snap some pictures there.

May 11, 2011 at 06:12 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Shooting with Tubes

Absolutely love my Kenko tubes.

Canon 1DMKIIN, 100L, Kenko 26mm tube, Handheld

May 11, 2011 at 06:14 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Shooting with Tubes

Gorgeous William! That really takes my breath away. These images really pull me in, especially those with fairly narrow depth of field such as this one. That you're shooting hand held makes me smile as well, since I don't own a tripod. I love to move through space and grab whatever strikes my fancy in the moment. Hopefully good technique and adequate shutter speed with get me what I'm hoping to capture. Then I move on to the next subject. If feels like a very free way to do photography, unburdened by gear... my camera. lens with tubes and the rest of the world. Great fun!

I'd love to see more William.

May 11, 2011 at 06:47 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Shooting with Tubes

Bees knees...

Shot with the 200 f/4 AI-s with a 36mm tube attached at f/11, manual mode at 1/250th of a second shutter speed.

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 04:17 AM · View previous versions

May 11, 2011 at 06:49 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Shooting with Tubes

Today I pulled out the 180 f/2.8 AI-s and mounted a 36mm extension tube on it. This lens really does everything well.

f/8, manual mode with shutter speed of 1/200th of a second.

This was shot in the parking lot of a local organic grocery store. I noticed this flower in dappled light created by an adjacent tree and after putting my groceries away I took a few shots, still with the 180 plus 36mm tube. I got a few stares, but that didn't matter. The light was too good to pass up.

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 04:39 AM · View previous versions

May 13, 2011 at 01:21 AM
Wailor

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Shooting with Tubes

Wow!! I'm in awe of these pics.

May 13, 2011 at 03:13 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Shooting with Tubes

Wailor wrote:
Wow!! I'm in awe of these pics.

That's the idea...

Just remember that with extension tubes all your lenses potentially become macro lenses. Of course, many inveterate macro shooters add tubes to their macro lenses giving them exceptional magnification. For the rest of us, the tubes generally won't get us to 1:1 but they definitely reduce the minimum focusing distance of the lens and permit us to get closer shots. With quality lenses, and that doesn't necessarily translate to expensive lenses, it is possible to get some exceptional shots, as our friend shooting with the Canon 18-55 has shown.

So explore tubes and start playing. With tubes the whole world opens up. Things you've walked past suddenly offer new opportunities for interesting subjects. It is all about having a good time!

May 13, 2011 at 03:27 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Shooting with Tubes

Roses, roses everywhere, even along the fence in front of the Ferrari and Maserati dealerships in Mill Valley. I drove by and decided I wanted to take some photos. Those of the red Ferrari were without tubes so I won't mount them on this thread, but I did take a few photos of the roses with the 180 f/2.8 AI-s with the 36mm extension tube attached.

Both shot at f/5.6. The first shot is un-cropped, the second is.

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 04:40 AM · View previous versions

May 14, 2011 at 02:53 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password