New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2009 · Blue that looks Purple

Voula

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blue that looks Purple

I have been struggling with this problem for a few weeks now, and I thought I would post on here in hopes of finding someone that has run into this same problem. (I can't be the only one) I took this picture of a fairly brightly saturated blue bike.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2591/3874283819_c24ff52327_o.jpg

I shot it with a D700 as a RAW file. I imported it into lightroom, and the bike turned from blue to Barney purple. I exported it as a jpeg, and then opened it again in Photoshop, bike was still purple. There is a reflection of an umbrella in the top part of the bike that I was trying to edit out, but even though in photoshop the edited image would look good, when saved the area that was edited looked horrible and all smudged. So, the image is almost impossible to edit if you change anything that is blue, because it completely changes when saved.
When the image is opened in Internet Explorer, it looks blue, like it probably looks now. I am at a loss to figure this out. I shoot is RAW all the time, and I don't want to be forced to shoot in JPEG.
I have encountered this saturated blue problem (also sometimes with red, but not as bad) with some more pictures since the bike one and has only lead to more aggravation. Has anyone else encountered this problem with saturated blues? and if so, is there a way to fix it?

I greatly appreciate any help.

Nov 20, 2009 at 02:41 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blue that looks Purple

Just FYI, I'm seeing your image using Firefox (which is a color-profile-aware browser), on a calibrated LCD, and the bike looks blue for me. The whites also look white, the blacks black, and the skin tone looks pretty good, too. I realize that's no solution for you, but I wanted you to know it looks fine on someone else's system.

Nov 20, 2009 at 02:52 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blue that looks Purple

yup. colors look good on my monitor aswell.

Nov 20, 2009 at 03:08 PM
sfr002
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blue that looks Purple

dcains wrote:
Just FYI, I'm seeing your image using Firefox (which is a color-profile-aware browser), on a calibrated LCD, and the bike looks blue for me. The whites also look white, the blacks black, and the skin tone looks pretty good, too. I realize that's no solution for you, but I wanted you to know it looks fine on someone else's system.

+1 looks right

Nov 20, 2009 at 03:08 PM
NinaS
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blue that looks Purple

I'm viewing it in an Explorer browser on my calibrated monitor ... vibrant blue here

maybe calibrate your monitor?

Nov 20, 2009 at 03:22 PM
tchan748
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blue that looks Purple

safari 4, macbook pro. color perfect!

Nov 20, 2009 at 03:29 PM
jamad

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blue that looks Purple

Sounds like a mismatched color profile in Lightroom; e.g. using a custom profile to look at an Adobe 1998 color space.

Nov 20, 2009 at 03:33 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blue that looks Purple

It looks OK on my monitor, but when I took it into Photoshop and moved the yellow/blue slider in Color Balance towards yellow the darker lower part of the fairing does turn purple while the top part remains blue.

It might be due to UV reflectance in the paint you can't see by eye the camera isn't filtering out or how you adjusted the RAW file. The color of the jeans do not look correct either and they also have UV brighteners in them. My first digital camera didn't filter UV from my Vivitar 285HV flash very effectively and I saw color shifts in jeans and other blue objects.

Chuck

Nov 20, 2009 at 03:35 PM
Voula

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Blue that looks Purple

Thanks for the responses. My monitor is calibrated, I make sure of that. I didn't do much adjusting to the picture other than exposure. I have also put it on other people's computers and it's the same issue. The d700 is a pretty high end camera and I would think it would be able to handle that enviroment.

Nov 20, 2009 at 04:31 PM
dtomasula

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Blue that looks Purple

Your monitor probably is not calibrated correctly. It looks fine to me. I'm on a Mac using the latest Firefox.

Nov 20, 2009 at 04:35 PM
Racasc

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Blue that looks Purple

I've seen the same thing with my 7D. In DPP the pictures, both the RAW and the JPG, have normal blues. If I use Windows Photo Gallery to look at the JPG (both jpgs straight out of the camera, and those converted from RAW) the blues look purple. If I open up the pic in Internet Explorer, the colors look normal.

I'm assuming if I print it I'll see normal colors. I'm worried though because I'm about to give the pics I made of my friends girls a DVD, and I don't want them to show up with purple skirts instead of the blue-jean skirts they were wearing.

I've calibrated my monitor with a Spyder 3, so I don't think its a monitor problem. Would be interested if there is a fix for this.

Nov 20, 2009 at 04:47 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Blue that looks Purple

I'm vtewing this in Explorer 7 which is not color managed and it looks fine. It's not your D700.

Nov 20, 2009 at 05:07 PM
Racasc

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Blue that looks Purple

On Internet explorer the motorcycle looks fine on my computer, but using Windows Photo Gallery it looks purple to me.

This is both on my laptop monitor, and an external monitor I can attach. Both calibrated.

Nov 20, 2009 at 05:45 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Blue that looks Purple

I would say your calibrator is broken.
I checked it on 5 different displays on various computers around my house, and printed a small copy on my 9900...2 of the displays are calibrated, the other 3 are not used for photo editing of any kind...the bike is blue man...firefox, internet explorer, safari, preview, photoshop, everything...it's all blue, even in print, the bike is blue...there's something wrong on your end.

Nov 20, 2009 at 05:52 PM
Racasc

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Blue that looks Purple

(I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but it sounds like the same problem that the OP has. Sorry)

I don't doubt its on my end, but it seems like it a windows problem, not a calibrator problem since DPP and IE work fine. I don't really understand the way Windows works with profiles, but it probably has something to do with that.

Both our pics are sRGB, I assume that's the "normal" color space?

Office Picture Manager, Paint, Quicktime, and IE all look fine. Easy answer is to just change my default JPG viewer to one of these, instead of Gallery. Still curious, but at least I have some confidence the pic is really ok.

Nov 20, 2009 at 06:01 PM
nissanboy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Blue that looks Purple

purple for me in photo shop elements 5, windows photo viewer, cs4 photoshop.
Blue for me in MS office picture manager, MS paint, chrome and explorer.

Screen capture below with 3 windows open
from left to right - photo shop - chrome - windows photo viewer

purple - blue - purple

above pic opened in Lr

purple - purple - purple

The jeans look like a proper denim blue when the bike is purple and I now have six different coloured bikes!

then duplicated for edit in shop

purple - purple - purple

then saved for web

purple - blue - purple

I cant accept my monitor is the problem

OK The monitor IS the problem

I connected another monitor and all the bikes are blue which all you guys and gals with good monitors already knew.

The rest of you that see purple bikes in my post have dumb monitors!!

This next picture is a waste of time because the out side bikes will proably be purple on my other monitor but it is a screen capture of the first screen capture opened in Lr on my (unbeknown to me until now) better monitor..... if you know what I mean.

PURPLE PROBLEM FIXED!!!!

purple - purple - purple

Edited on Nov 22, 2009 at 02:41 AM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:08 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Blue that looks Purple

cgardner wrote:
It looks OK on my monitor, but when I took it into Photoshop and moved the yellow/blue slider in Color Balance towards yellow the darker lower part of the fairing does turn purple while the top part remains blue.

It might be due to UV reflectance in the paint you can't see by eye the camera isn't filtering out or how you adjusted the RAW file. The color of the jeans do not look correct either and they also have UV brighteners in them. My first digital camera didn't filter UV from my Vivitar 285HV flash very effectively and I
...Show more

Interesting comments and I am out of my element here however as I observed the bike I noticed the same on the fairing as the lower area had more color depth. Perhaps this is a metallic paint and not a solid, the luminance off the metallic may be giving the the different hues as the light seemed most direct on the upper fairing area.

I also noticed the color cast in the 'blue' jeans, they looked a bit cyan to me. I am on a non calibrated monitor and on Explorer. I don't see the bike as 'purple'

Karl

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:09 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Blue that looks Purple

Some applications do not properly utilize profiles or require configuration. Just calibrating the monitor is not enough if the application is not set up properly. The major browsers all are profile aware. If you are seeing purple, you either need to calibrate or check the configuration of the application you are using.

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Thomas Kennedy

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Blue that looks Purple

A few years ago I was reading an article on the different color spaces and how they map the same color differently.

Just out of curiosity I laid the magazine down and picked up my Nikon D200 and shot 2 or 3 pictures of my desk, the clutter on it, and the wall behind it.

At the time my daughter was young and there happened to be a Pampers box sitting on the desk. The box had an area on it that was sort of a teal green.

In one of the files the teal green was correct and in another it was way off. Not a slight color cast, I mean it was a totally different color. The only difference in the two files was the color space.

A year or so ago I was talking to another local photographer and he was having a fit with a green prom dress. A customer had come in for prom pictures in a green dress and he couldn't get the dress to be green to save his life. Skin and background were ok but the dress was wrong. He was using his normal equipment and procedures that typically performed well for him.

I suggested he try different color spaces to see if that would correct the problem.

I understand that you are dealing with blue instead of green but is there any chance at all that this could be your problem?

Would it be possible to get access to the bike and try just a couple of tests using different color spaces?

I may be suggesting something nutty here. I freely admit that I am far from being the world's best photographer. I just thought this might provide some insight to a possible solution to your problem.

Tom Kennedy

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:35 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Blue that looks Purple

In PS make sure your View | Proof Colors setting is unchecked. If that corrects the color then your Proof Setup is at fault. good luck!

Nov 21, 2009 at 01:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.