New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

hir0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

the subject says it all. does anyone have experience with both of these?
is the IQ of the new lens much of an upgrade over the older af-s 300mm f/4d?

Jun 28, 2016 at 04:21 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

No. IQ is not a drastic improvement.
Nikon's IQ improvements lately with lenses seem to be slight, with other desired features taking the forefront.

I have had both. If IQ is the main concern, a properly set up 300mm f/4 AF-S (with a Really Right Stuff or Kirk tripod collar & support) has outstanding IQ. And you would be hard pressed to spot differences.

However, the improvements, and what you are paying for, are size & weight reduction (compactness), nanocoating, VR, and other interesting stuff, like using it as a nice, light , walkaround lens.

I ended up returning mine however because I could not justify the increased cost over the old AF-S version. And, I actually like the look and feel of the old AF-S lens.

Jun 28, 2016 at 04:48 AM
gpelpel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

I would say the PF version has an edge in regards to working with teleconverters. Price is the main issue with the new lens but frankly it is a joy to hike around with it!
If I had a complaint it that bokeh may not be as smooth especially on strong highlights.

Size/weight, VR, and teleconverter image quality make the lens a wonderfully light bird in flight lens.

Jun 28, 2016 at 09:19 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

TC14EII and TC17EII produce excellent images with the 300 AF-S. Size and weight are the only real world differences.

Jun 28, 2016 at 09:37 AM
conrad2nr
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

Reasons not to get the PF VR
Price
Wonky VR depending on the body it's used on.
The original AF-S handles highlights/bright sources of light better.

Reasons to get the PF VR
Small as a 24-70 and feels lighter.
VR still works albeit not as it should.
Newer lens = less likely to need repairs soon.
Doesn't have an aperture lever on the back of the mount, one less thing to worry about.

IQ is almost a wash though I had a AF-S before that was ridiculously good.

Be aware that some of the earlier 300mm AF-S f/4D have an older "module" that doesn't allow it to AF with a TC on some newer bodies like the D750. It's a bit of a reach but it's still a possibility if you pick up a used copy to work with one of the uncooperative bodies.

In the end buy the PF VR if you can afford it and don't typically shoot highly back-lit subjects or keep the original AF-S (if you have it already) and pick up the new 200-500mm f/5.6E which can be just as good once you add a TC to the 300mm f/4s.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

if you don't ever have issues with weight, bag spaces, or low light handholding sessions requiring vr, and of course don't have the cash to spare, then you don't need the pf.

rent it, try it and compare it is the best way to make your decision :-)

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Bill Graham
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

hir0 wrote:
the subject says it all. does anyone have experience with both of these?
is the IQ of the new lens much of an upgrade over the older af-s 300mm f/4d?

IQ-wise, not so much so. VR, handling, AF performance, definitely a big upgrade. I bought one when I picked up the D500 at Showcase, asked about return policy(5 days), mounted it on the camera and took a few shots. Never looked back.

Jun 28, 2016 at 07:50 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

Previously had the 300 f/4m AF-S and now have the PF VR version -

IQ is not a vast improvement
As conrad2nr commented, shooting the PF with highly back-lit subjects can be a problem.
I feel both lens take the 1.4 TC very well.

The PF VR version weight is the biggest advantage for me .

Birdie

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:40 PM
rick_reno
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

I had both, kept the AF-S version after trying the PF with VR. Like others, I couldn't see any IQ difference. The size/weight was nice, but not for the money.

Jun 29, 2016 at 08:40 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

And the other side of the equation is how much of a bargain the 300mm f/4 AF-S has become. I don't like it, but I've seen these old version lenses going for $650 or so. That's a great price for the quality you get as these are still worth every bit as a $1,000 lens. And yet, they still aren't selling... Like they have a disease suddenly...

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:03 AM
gpelpel
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

ckcarr wrote:
And the other side of the equation is how much of a bargain the 300mm f/4 AF-S has become. I don't like it, but I've seen these old version lenses going for $650 or so. That's a great price for the quality you get as these are still worth every bit as a $1,000 lens. And yet, they still aren't selling... Like they have a disease suddenly...

You are right. I bought the PF when it came out but it already took me weeks to get a decent price on my old AF-S in like new condition. The AF-S was considered a bargain before the PF release, now it's a steal.
I am not sure exactly why but my experience selling an AF-S 500m f/4II after switching to the VR version seems to point out to a rather small market for prime telephoto lenses.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:29 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

Looks like the answer is pretty straight forward...you buy the PF for VR and size/weight. If those are not important to you, buy a used AF-S and keep the extra money in your pocket.

Personally I sold my 300 AF-S version years ago...just couldn't get along without VR. Aside from VR, the biggest thing about the PF version is how small and light it is on my D500...almost shockingly so. And according to Brad Hill, the PF performs close enough to his 300/2.8 that it's a wash. That's good enough for me. Since I already own the 80-400G I probably didn't need one but the 300PF does do a sharper 420mm w/TC14EIII than the 80-400G @400, so it will be interesting if the absolute performance of the 300PF outweighs the convenience of the zoom.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:46 AM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

Well said, Gary. For me, "the absolute performance of the 300PF" handily trumps the benefits of any zoom, whether it be the 80-400 or the 200-500, in particular.

Jun 29, 2016 at 07:29 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

The size and weight are not to be undersold, though.

This lens is seriously amazing for the size and weight. I would pay the price premium for every single lens in my kit if I had the option. Suddenly, I have a 420mm (+1.4x TC, which is almost glued to the lens at this point) that's as portable as the old 70-300mm I used to go hiking with, yet with image quality in spades, as good as my 80-400mm @ 400mm (which is outstanding). The VR upgrade also means the lens is more flexible - I can shoot with it in situations where I wouldn't be able to use my AF-S lens.

The image quality IS better. Far less purple fringing, and it takes the teleconverters better than my AF-S version - I actually never even think about whether or not I have the TC on, I just shoot the focal length I want. With the AF-S version, I'd remove the TC if I was looking for the best IQ. I haven't seen a lot of the problems others have reported with the PF elements in backlit situations, maybe I just haven't hit the right situations (though I have a whole lot of frames with it now, so maybe I'm just not as sensitive to it).

Is it the right lens for everyone? Nope, as with any lens, there are penalties and this penalty is cost. For similar sharpness, you can get the AF-S version at half or less than half of the cost. You won't find anything that's this good, at this focal length, for this size though. And that, to me, is worth a hefty premium. Taking pounds and inches out of my hiking pack, while upgrading to VR, with no other compromises? Sign me up.

Jun 29, 2016 at 08:20 PM
Mnd1
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · is 300mm f/4e pf worth upgrade from 300mm f/4D

I thought my old 300 AF-S was sharp. The 300 PF is sharper than a sharp thing that's had razor blades for breakfast.

Jun 30, 2016 at 05:07 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.