New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 7D Error 20 - fixed

ronman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D Error 20 - fixed

Background: I bought a used gripped 7D off the internet for a pretty great price, but while I was testing it out before buying, it threw an error 20. Cycling the power resolved the problem, and he assured me that he'd split the repair cost with me. So having gotten it in writing I paid him for the camera and went home to play with it.
It got worse over the next few days, especially when I would shoot under 1/100 or put it in video mode. The mirror would hang in an up or partially-up position, and it eventually got to where I had to remove the grip and reseat it (effectively pulling the battery and reinstalling it) before the error would clear, only to get a couple shots before the mirror stuck yet again.
So, on the 2nd I called Canon and got an RMA, and on the 5th I finally got around to boxing it up and sending it off for service.

Well, today I got it back from Canon's Newport News, VA service center, 6 days after sending it in, including a weekend. I can't complain about that at all.
The service report reads as follows:

Description of Problem/Symptoms
Error code 20

Service Details
Your product has been examined and it was found that the sub mirror was broken causing error 20 to be displayed. The mirror was replaced. Product functions were confirmed.

Part Description
MIRROR BOX ASSY

Part Number
CG2-2617-000

The total cost to have the problem fixed was $209 (Out Of Warranty Standard Labor Charge) plus $14 2-day return shipping, so $223 plus what I paid to ship it via insured Fedex on the way out.

So, in my research, most of the 7D error 20s I came across were mirror box failures. It seems like they may have had a bad batch of mirrors, and since the early 7Ds were the first to get this new mirror box assembly they may have been the beta testers for a cost-engineered 1D box... but that is of course only my own wild speculation...

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D Error 20 - fixed

Hopefully the seller split the cost with you

Phil

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM
ronman

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D Error 20 - fixed

He did. But even if he didn't, what I paid plus the $200 repair would still be a great price for everything I got. The guy is a local photographer who used the 7D as his 5D2 backup and was getting a second 5D2...

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.