Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

In light of the new 35mm NEX video camera, the NEX- VG900, I'm curious if anyone has seen any results with M lenses on this camera. If so, post them here!

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

I'd love to see someone get one to mostly take stills, that'll be hilarious.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

FlyPenFly wrote:

Ha! Maybe we'll see a hack community remove the video parts and put it in a smaller body, although I'm doubting that M wide performance will be very good.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

Yeah and you know a FF regular no mirror body will be coming soon from Sony, it's inevitable.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Yeah and you know a FF regular no mirror body will be coming soon from Sony, it's inevitable.

I don't think it's coming soon, to be honest. Native lenses would be huge, and I'm not sure Sony is ready to market it a NEX body for a-mount lenses.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

Well, for those who wanted a FF Nex to use the M mount lenses on it, Sony has been so cynical that it introduced a video cam for you

I would be curious to see some results too

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

Get one while you can, cause this is gonna land with a big thud.

The big PITA with the VG series is that Sony - in its endless crippling of its camera lines to protect pro cameras - has once again left the customizable picture profiles off the VG30/900, leaving you with very limited video image options. You're stuck with a look that Sony has decided you should use.

The VG line is trapped in the consumer camcorder realm - which is laughable as no casual video shooter is going to buy a $3300 FF camcorder and monkey with that goofy adapter and expensive Alpha lenses. The DSLR cinema shooters want more control over the image and will continue to use 5d's and likely the A99. For stills its no biggie if you're shooting raw because you're not using the portrait or sunset settings, but in video these are crucial as that's the only way to adjust in-camera sharpening, contrast and saturation -- something I can do on the $300 second hand Nex5n I use as a backup camera. Go figure.

A lot of VG20 owners got burned by Sony showing the profiles in the initial spec sheet and then never seeing them on the camera. IMHO the appeal of both the VG cameras is very limited until Sony unlocks some control over the image, something you can do on all the Nex and Alpha cameras. I'm personally considering the A99 as a second camera over the VG's for that very reason, despite a form factor on the VG that's perfect for shooting video.

The VG900 feels more like a "we built it, because we can" camera, rather than meeting what VG customers have been screaming about for a year. If I'm stuck with Cinematone and crap like toy camera and sepia while shooting video - pass. Maybe the RX1 developers will do a video camera - FF with a permanent Zeiss zoom.

Sep 12, 2012 at 02:49 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

douglasf13 wrote:
I don't think it's coming soon, to be honest. Native lenses would be huge, and I'm not sure Sony is ready to market it a NEX body for a-mount lenses.

Why do you think they would be huge? Modern AF lenses seem to tend to be big, but why would it have to be bigger than the lens on the RX1? Especially if they were primes.

It would be interesting if the lenses all had leaf shutters in them like the RX1 and some of the old medium format cameras.

Wonder what Leica has under their curtain for the sub M9 next week.

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:29 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

anselwannab wrote:
Why do you think they would be huge? Modern AF lenses seem to tend to be big, but why would it have to be bigger than the lens on the RX1? Especially if they were primes.

It would be interesting if the lenses all had leaf shutters in them like the RX1 and some of the old medium format cameras.

Wonder what Leica has under their curtain for the sub M9 next week.

The sensor is so relatively large compared to the mount and also very close to it, which causes clearance issues. There's a reason why the mounts of m4/3, eos M, Nex, etc. are oversized.

See here: Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) - FM Forums

And here: Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) - FM Forums

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:42 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

But they can do it with the Zeiss lens on the RX1? I wonder if the sensor or the glass lenses are specially set to work with that lens at that short of a distance? Hard to do with multiple lenses.

If I had to guess, their will be a limited number of fast primes- mostly short focal lengths in the Full Frame E mount, and then an adaptor to use all the dSLR lenses for zooms.

The other question I think is that if Sony keeps on with innovation like this, will Canon or Nikon become history? I think Canon survives and Nikon gets sent to the minor leagues.

Funny, how far we have come in a few years. A camera without a viewfinder would have looked very odd 15 years ago. Now its odder to have one....

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:51 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

Yes, they can do it with the RX1. You can see why - in this shot:

(Repost from CameraBlog)
Try to get that lens' rear end in through an E-mount. The rear element wouldn't even get past the wings on the flange. The reason the lens is so small "on the outside" is that the rear end is as large as the front of a normal DSLR 50/1.4 lens. You just don't see it inside the RX1 body.

The problem with FF E-mount is that the system becomes an oxymoron - a small camera that necessitates huge lenses. Even a pancake style 40mm lens would have to protrude just as far as the depth of a normal DSLR camera (about 60mm from sensor > front end of lens). A normal 50mm planar/ultron would be longer than the existing APS 50/1.8 and about a centimeter wider. And then I don't really see the "compact" advantage in the NEX system any more.

A 70-200/2.8 would of course be no bigger or smaller on a NEX or an Alpha - but what's the point?

Sep 12, 2012 at 04:06 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

The problem with FF E-mount is that the system becomes an oxymoron - a small camera that necessitates huge lenses.

Existing E-mount cameras are small does not mean all E-mount camera has to be this small. Look at F-mount... they have smallish D3200, to full-sized D800 and over-sized D4 (some would say D4 is full-sized). An Alpha A-65 sized full-frame NEX wouldn't be too much an issue (I mentioned Alpha series because it has IBIS and EVF) for the market to accept.

Eventually when on-sensor PDAF technology mature, that SLT mirror will be redundant so a FF NEX (with Alpha adapter) might be successor of A99 series.

Removal of the mirror might good for downsizing wide angle lens (if the micro lens issue solved).

After all, a Leica M is still smaller than a Leica R, right?

Sep 12, 2012 at 08:32 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

I'm not sure if you can use M lenses or any other adapted lens using the entire full frame surface. Full frame coverage only seems available using LA-EA3 adapter with A-mount lenses. Otherwise, it seems to put everything into crop mode.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/09/11/the-new-sony-rx1-full-frame-compact-with-35-f2-zeiss-lens-1st-look-hands-on-report/#comment-202950

Sep 13, 2012 at 09:55 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

This is odd, because the phoblogger mentioned using a Leica 35 on the camera, and he didn't mention that it automatically cropped. I wonder who is correct?

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

This is how Sonystyle lists it:

"APS-C compatible mode : Yes(Auto/On/Off)"

So it sounds to me like as long as you've got "shoot without lens" on and APS-C compatible off, you should get the full frame.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:32 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

freaklikeme wrote:
This is how Sonystyle lists it:

"APS-C compatible mode : Yes(Auto/On/Off)"

So it sounds to me like as long as you've got "shoot without lens" on and APS-C compatible off, you should get the full frame.

few!

i'm curious to see some tests, but not willing to pay for them.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:21 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

sebboh wrote:
few!

i'm curious to see some tests, but not willing to pay for them.

Me too. If Mike's Camera in Boulder gets a display copy, I'll see if I can talk them into letting me try out the 35 and 90 on it.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:26 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

well that would be dumb if only the la-ea3 allowed for full frame shooting. how would you use zeiss master primes?

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:11 PM
allofthelights

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

That seems too odd. I find it more likely that the confusion stems from Sony emphasizing that only A-mount lenses would work in full frame mode, but in the context of A and E-mount. I.e "only A-mount will work in full frame, not E-mount". Didn't even Carl Zeiss announce a full frame Cine-lens recently? But let's wait and see.

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:35 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

FlyPenFly wrote:

I might actually be that person.

That is if it turns out to work great with legacy lenses. Moving towards more video would be a welcome change to evolve my photography, while still being able to shoot those stills of the highest quality when I want to. Also, it's a pretty small camera, and the price seems right at about $3000 including LA-EA3. I'd much rather get this than the RX1 or A99.

http://content.reviewed.com/products/20974/specs/5053/Sony_NEX-VG900_Handling1.jpg

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.