Photographer's Vest Substitute?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Photographer's Vest Substitute?

Post by Harold Gough »

Those waistcoat-type sleeveless garments with numerous pockets, to hold everything from lenses downwards in size, can be very expensive. Some affordable ones are available from the Far East but it costs as much for postage as for the garment.

I have just returned from a shopping trip to our local Aldi. This week (UK, possibly elsewhere) they are offering a number of items of clothing for fishermen.

The one of most interest was the Fishing Vest. My wife bought one a couple of days ago. Having taken a close look and considered how much it might help me (great for lens caps, filters, sunglasses cloths, lens cleaner, etc.) I decided to buy one. At the same time I purchased some water-resistant Fishing Trousers, which have addtional pockets. I completed the purchase with some padded waterproof boots (two sizes about my usual size were a good fit).

This now gave me a brownish, dull green outfit to replace my usual, contrasting, black jeans and white shirt. This is complemented by the fisherman's gloves I purchased previously. I can now kneel without staining my everyday trouser knees with grass or mud. This is not meant to protect me from rain as I don't photograph during significant rainfall.

I hope this helps someone.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I gave the vest a try-out yesterday on a visit to a local nature reserve. Essentially, I transferred my car keys and other keys, credit card wallet and traditional (blazer) wallet to a couple of zipped pockets. I was then able to walk around for two hours, on a very hot day, with the vest perfoming the function of my jacket, with pockets to spare for lens caps, etc. I then had the option of rolling up my shirt sleeves for extra cooling, pointless when wearing a jacket.

The comfort and function were excellent and it could be promoted to general car coat function in warm weather. I don't have to wear it in the car but the zipped pockets will not shed the contents when thrown in the back, as my jacket sometimes does.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

PhoenixTim

Fishing vests

Post by PhoenixTim »

I use a fishing vest too. I bought mine at Cabella's. They have a wide selection. I live in Arizona and some of the photo vests are too warm for me. Mine has a net back and lots and lots of pockets. My wife says that I don't llook "cool," but my body feels cool. I usually carry more equipment than I need and it's always handy.
Tim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic