The REAL M-240 sample images - congrats to Jono Slack

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These look a lot more credible that the last set, and not just because Jono takes excellent photos - at a first glance, noise seems quite low on the ISO2500 images, and the ugly pixel patterning seems much better.

One question for Jono - was the artist and copyright information added in-camera or afterwards? If in camera, then there's a bug in the firmware - both are technically not properly formatted. Practically, it's not a big deal; most software will ignore the formatting issues, but it should be put right.

Sandy

Edited by sandymc

These look a lot more credible that the last set, and not just because Jono takes excellent photos - at a first glance, noise seems quite low on the ISO2500 images, and the ugly pixel patterning seems much better.

One questions for Jono - was the artist and copyright information added in-camera or afterwards? If in camera, then there's a bug in the firmware - both are technically not properly formatted. Practically, it's not a big deal; most software will ignore the formatting issues, but it should be put right.

Sandy

You can find the patterning behind the tomatoes if you raise it 2 stop, I think? (Yeah, I know.)

Sandy, the default artist & copyright metadata in LR4 seems OK?

"Jonathan Slack AUTO ISO"

Good extra detail can be pulled from the shadows of the bread still life. Wonderful warm tones to that photo.

Thanks.

Edited by bill_murray

Sandy, the default artist & copyright metadata in LR4 seems seems OK?

"Jonathan Slack AUTO ISO"

Good detail can be pulledfrom the shadows of the bread still life. Wonderful warm tones to that photo.

Thanks.

Bill, yes, like I said, most software will ignore the issue - but if you run something like Adobe's dng_validate that runs a strict check on the file format, it will complain about bad termination.

Sandy

• Like 3

You can find the patterning behind the tomatoes if you raise it 2 stop, I think? (Yeah, I know.)

Crank the clarity to %100 (yeah, I know too), and you see hot pixels pop out of that photo, and some pattern noise on the older photos. Try the same trick with the ISO 5000 orange lantern, and I can't find a pattern. In the dark areas of the glasses photo, no hot pixels. The nasty line artifact from the early puddle reflection photo (and same but smaller below the wine glass in the bread photo) isn't there on the higher ISO lantern photo.

Maybe it's the light, maybe it's the hallucinogenic aura of a Leica, or maybe Jono's camera is subtly improving with new firmware. This looks really good.

Thanks so much, Jono, for providing photos that are both fun to look at and to play around with!

• Like 2

The photos comes from two different cameras: 4444021 and 4444319.

The images from the last camera seems very clean.

First camera has visible pattern noise, but this noise disappears in FW version 0.1.10.0

Best regards

Trond

Edited by trond
  • Like 9

Thanks Andy

Please don't shoot me either (nervous doesn't quite describe it!)

I hope that you're all as enthusiastic as I am.

All the best

Very well done Jono. Excellent work and gallery.

I thought you were up to something when I contacted you a few days ago...

Again, excellent!

• Like 1

These images are what we really needed all the time. Frankly, I'm surprised and very happy for Leica for this leap in design. I'm pushed over the edge to purchase the M240. My confidence is restored!

Very good, concise article as well.

Thank you so much Jono and Leica! You made my day.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Thanks Andy

All the best

Very nice set!

Pixel peeping shot 112959... towards the lower 10th of the shot, there's a broken horizontal red line across almost the width of the picture... Sensor problem?

• Like 1

Great work, Jono. I am thrilled to be able to use and edit the files that are more meaningful to the conext of images that I would take in the circumstances that I'd take them. A fantastic set of images, and thus, a fantastic way to pixel peep, edit, and generally mess around with these files.

All the best to you, and no worries...I think that the reception will be warm (though for those standing at the back of the M queue's at their camera store, it'll be a while before they get to the front now ;)....

Best,

Ashwin

• Like 1

Thanks Andy

All the best

No need for worry. Beautiful work. Thank you for posting.

• Like 1

Very nice set!

Pixel peeping shot 112959... towards the lower 10th of the shot, there's a broken horizontal red line across almost the width of the picture... Sensor problem?

HI There - probably this needs answering. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's to do with sensor calibration - that camera was a very early prototype (I actually used 3 different cameras and this was the first), and this is something you might find in one or two of the images - it's known and fixed in the later cameras.

all the best

• Like 12

The photos comes from two different cameras: 4444021 and 4444319.

The images from the last camera seems very clean.

First camera has visible pattern noise, but this noise disappears in FW version 0.1.10.0

Best regards

Trond

Yes, if you compare "bread" with "map", which appear to have been taken in the same light within 8 minutes of each other, both at ISO200 - "map" is clearly a better image in terms of low luminance grid pattern sensor artefacts. "map" being the "better" camera as you describe it. It's quite a discernible difference though, I hope I get "map" not "bread" on my pre-order! :D

• Like 1

Yes, if you compare "bread" with "map", which appear to have been taken in the same light within 8 minutes of each other, both at ISO200 - "map" is clearly a better image in terms of low luminance grid pattern sensor artefacts. "map" being the "better" camera as you describe it. It's quite a discernible difference though, I hope I get "map" not "bread" on my pre-order! :D

Hi There

Bread - if you mean the shot with the tomatoes and olive oil. Was taken on 2nd December, with the first camera sample (without a serial number in the exif - actually 4444002 FWIW!)

Map - if you mean the shot with the map and the spectacles was taken on the 22nd January this year with 4444319 - a much later camera - so I hope and expect that you would get map and not bread!

all the best

• Like 2