The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The new HCam TS Master 14-24mm

Arne Hvaring

Interesting concept, but is the image circle of the Nikon zoom really large enough to allow tilt and shift movements? Might work on a NEX body though.

Stefan Steib

The image circle is huge,allows 10mm shift bidirectional at18mm /full24x36 a bit less at 14 and 24mm tilt is 15degrees.
We are still working on the details of the clamp, the final version shall have a rotational detachable clamp and the mounts will also be available for MFT, EOS M and Nikon V1.

More to come soon.

Stefan Steib

Kipon does not have a Canon EF to NEX adapter as the one we use here - so - this new Kipon may use apertures with all the AF-S G-ED lenses but not any other mounts !
By using an EF mount we can use adapters to about any other lenses like PK,OM,Leica R,Nikon,m42,Contax and many more.
See attached image with a Vivitar 1,2/55mm (Revuenon) which is PK - the sample shown is open aperture 1,2 full 15 degrees tilt.

We use the Original design of Mirex- made in Germany by Mirex
that was _STOLEN_! by the Chinese, screw by screw and mm by mm.
But ours got new improvements in the construction, the locks are not springs but real defined positions which you can lock.

And it is light tight, which the Kipon is not.

The bajonett mounts are made by Novoflex now and all the fittings and tolerances are "tight" and smooth.

And finally this adapter is not even (essentially) more expensive than the Kipon, it is 395,-€ now including taxes here in Germany +shipment
(for this actual version- the rotational device will have some higher price)

Orders are already taken , please contact me by PM.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

mbroomfield

Thanks Stefan,
Yes I have the Mirex Mamiya-EOS mount as well as a couple of Kipon's -Nex and it's clear they use the same design. I was not sure if the design was licensed or ripped off. I guess I should not be surprised.

It is smart to go with the Canon so that others can be adapted. Good luck!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Its early bit confused we can't use a Canon EF mount lens though because no aperture ring correct

Stefan Steib

Guy - you could use an EF lens with open aperture or an aperture set by stop down and remove the lens from a Canon body.
BUT- this is not the purpose of the EF mount here.
It is much more valuable as a common interface for all kind of further adaptations.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Stefan was trying to make it clear in my brain this morning. Looks very nice solution here. Im going to have to figure out how to put one in the bag.

Stefan Steib

We can even mount two of these Mirex and get superrotation, plus up to 28mm shift vignette free when using a 1,4x Teleconverter, bringing the exit pupil of the lens more backwards towards the mount.

here a 35mm M645 +Mirex M645-Eos + 1,4x Apo EX DG+Mirex EOS-NEX

jlm

Workshop Member
when you say "rotatable" what with respect to what? are the tilt and shift functions rotatable with respect to each other and the sensor format?

Stefan Steib

when you use 2 of these any function can of course be rotated in any angle to the other function- with this you could even shift diagonally and tilt away from it. For our Hartblei´s we call this superrotation.

jlm

Workshop Member
typically i want shift up and down and tilt up and down and want this orientation to work for both portrait and landscape modes. similar to what the Canon TSE-II lenses offer

so i would need two adapters then?

mbroomfield

You'll only be able to mount 2 of them if you use a medium format lens which for wides limits you to the 35mm Pentax and Mamiya 645 lenses (not sure about Hasselblads)

mbroomfield

Come to think of it there are other ways to get "super rotation" using just one of Stefan's new adapters. Aside from the native EF Canon TSE there are several other T/S or just PC lenses that when combined with the adapter will allow the tilt to work with either the lens (which can be rotated) or the adapter shift mechanism. This will even give you 45 degree control which can be useful sometimes.

28mm PC Super Angulon. Very good, stop down for good corners. Comes in different rear mounts which you can still buy (mine was a Leica and I bought a Nikon to use on my D800)
35mm PC VFC Rokkor. This can be modified to an EF mount but is excellent. It has friction thumbscrews to hold a sliding plate so it can be shifted to any point.
35mm T/S Canon FD. This can also be modified to an EF mount and is excellent.

35mm PC Zeiss Contax which I've never tried.
Nikon PC lens (early, not the E type). Never tried
24mm and 35mm OM shifts. I tried a 24mm on a Nex with a tilt adapter, but even unshift/tilted it was awful. I must have got a lemon though as this is well regarded lens and considered better then the 35
Could be others as well

Stefan Steib

Mike

Superrotation on TS lenses is the independent rotation of shift and tilt to each other.

the Canon TS-E24 V2 or 17mm cannot do this .
Their rotation from tilt to shift is limited to 90 degrees. you can somehow achieve the movements needed when shifting to the other side rotate the lens and then apply , but that sure is a nuisance. Further if there is no electronics on a combination with a mechanic adapter, it won´t work at all with stop down.

And further:most of the old shift lenses are really not that good at all.
As you mentioned the famous OM24mm is not really sharp on the corners, worse if shifted. Digitally it´s really not useful.

Regards
Stefan

Arne Hvaring

The image circle is huge,allows 10mm shift bidirectional at18mm /full24x36 a bit less at 14 and 24mm tilt is 15degrees.
We are still working on the details of the clamp, the final version shall have a rotational detachable clamp and the mounts will also be available for MFT, EOS M and Nikon V1.

More to come soon.
Seems rather surpising for a lens not designed for T/S, but if you have tested it, who am I to say otherwise.
What I would like to see is an adapter to Sony E mount and mFT that allow manually set aperture with reasonable precision. Of course beeing able to rotate tilt and shift independently on separate axes would be required. For this kind of specialized equipment I'd say price, within reason, will hardly be a constraint, if high quality self-locking gears can be implemented for the movements.