The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

barjohn

Is it switching to MF in DMF and AF? That would make sense. Do you have your button set to "toggle" or "hold"?

John, I am not sure what the funny stuff is happening under the posts at GetDPI, but I can't click the like button (I am using Safari). Thank you for your comment on my image. I hope to try the RX1 on a tracking mount if the weather holds out.
Yes, I tried each of the front button setting and in each case I could toggle back and forth between auto focus and manual focus. setting the C button to toggle AF/MF setting and using the C button as the toggle. You can tell when it is in MF because no focus box appears but as soon as you start to turn the lens you get the magnification and focus peaking. Toggle it and you get the focus box and a 1/2 press puts you focus.

195 sec. exposure at f/5.6 and ISO400 under moonlight. The first non-diffused sunlight, all be it reflected, I have seen in days. The camera was simply manually focused to infinity--the LCD has no image, although the electronic level comes in handy.

Amazing. 195 seconds? Unreal.

Aryan Aqajani

195 sec. exposure at f/5.6 and ISO400 under moonlight. The first non-diffused sunlight, all be it reflected, I have seen in days. The camera was simply manually focused to infinity--the LCD has no image, although the electronic level comes in handy.

Wow, this is really impressive! Did you see any noticeable noise or hot pixel? I am considering to sell my Fuji X100 and get this beauty for my international travels doing long exposure with a very portable package!

Shashin

Wow, this is really impressive! Did you see any noticeable noise or hot pixel? I am considering to sell my Fuji X100 and get this beauty for my international travels doing long exposure with a very portable package!
The file is very clean--I don't see any hot pixels at all. Attached is a 100% crop from the center. Most of the softness is from the motion of the trees and my tripod moved a bit on the crusty snow on the grass. The jpeg compression does not help either. I was hoping to get out tonight, but the clouds have rolled in. There is some lateral CA in the brightest star (planet) in the corners, but most trails are clean. This fine has some adjustment to curves and some USM is applied in ACR. There is no noise reduction beyond the dark frame subtraction applied by the camera--I was thinking of testing the camera tonight without dark frame subtraction. I hope to test some exposures with a 9-stop ND filter around the new year.

Last edited:

raist3d

I appreciate the great photography on this thread. I came very close to ordering the RX1 yesterday but stopped myself on the grounds I could not see when I would use it in place of my beloved Sigma DP2M and DP1M cameras. If the RX1 cost a bit less then it would make more sense for my purposes.
I would say if your photography domain is ISO 200 or less with the Sigma's for when you need the better quality shots, there's really no reason (imho) for you to get the RX1 unless some operational issue was really getting in the way of the photos you wanted to take.

I don't have a DP2M only because I do shoot in available light/low light but if I was shooting in daylight and low ISO, I would have bought one yesterday :)

Just commenting, I get the impression you know exactly what you want, don't mean to sound like I know any better.

- Raist

barjohn

I would say if your photography domain is ISO 200 or less with the Sigma's for when you need the better quality shots, there's really no reason (imho) for you to get the RX1 unless some operational issue was really getting in the way of the photos you wanted to take.

I don't have a DP2M only because I do shoot in available light/low light but if I was shooting in daylight and low ISO, I would have bought one yesterday :)

Just commenting, I get the impression you know exactly what you want, don't mean to sound like I know any better.

- Raist
I had the DP2M for a while and the IQ is just great. However, I could not live with the limitations as I don't just shoot in good conditions. In comparing similar images taken of the same subject with the RX1, the differences are so small that only a close examination would exhibit the difference. The increased flexibility of the RX1 made it worth it to me. Of course, you can't achieve the subject separation and bokeh with the smaller sensor and slower lens. But micro-contrast on the Foveon is just fantastic and in good light the color is really good. If I could justify it I would own both.

Took a short hike up to the bunkers in Lanikai.
This is located on the windward side of Oahu.
The two islands are called the Mokulua Islands - the one on the right is a bird preserve and off limits.
All photos at iso 100, f/8 or f/11 except for the couple in the bunkers at f/3.2.
Shot raw and PP in Lightroom.
Enjoy.

Last edited: