The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK, enough with the equipment, lets see some lighting!

Giorgio

Nice Thread!
This is two Eli mono lights, that I have owned forever they are marked 500
One with a grid on the background one as main on the subject with a deep Octa no interior diffusion. F8 and be there, they gave me 15 minutes from the moment I entered the room to the moment Glenn left.

For the inset, subject gave me the same amount of time.

Giorgio

Re: OK, lets see some lighting!

Whoosh, created by about a dozen Profoto heads into 6 packs in studio.

Main, was a beauty dish, fill was two large soft boxes diffused top light was bounced off the white ceiling to fill the background and a two banks of umbrellas did the rest. Fun day!

Studio B

Hi Guys,

Here's a couple of jobs I did for a client. I included photos of the article in which they were used to show the final product.

I so enjoy shooting glass, each piece poses different lighting challenges.

Six Speedotron heads were used with 7" reflectors. Various reflectors and gobos were also used to capture the subtle reflections and details of each piece.

Glass Wave Sculpture showing lighting setup

Glass Fishbowl Sculpture showing lighting setup.

Glass Calendar Wheel Sculpture showing lighting setup.

This is a separate job and another magazine article showcasing my client. Shown here are the 3 glass sculptures with related lighting and the final cover shot as it was used.

Regards,
George

faneuil

George -

Thanks so much. I can never get enough shots of studios in action.
Very instructive to see your lighting arrangement.
And creative use of space!

cheers,
Eric

Studio B

Thanks Eric,

I make do with what I have for space, the final product is what is most important. ;)

My lighting gear packs up nicely into two large custom cases, so if the budget is there, I can easily take everything to a rented studio.

Regards,
George

Giorgio

This was shot on location, I basically balanced the light level of my strobe light with the ambient available light. Very simple one Ranger, with a deep octa fully diffused.

Giorgio

Having used Elinchrom for well over a decade I considered buying a Quadra for this kind of application, light mobile fill light.
The Southampton sun was the key here, a Profoto Acute B 600 ws AirS with the zoom reflector was my fill. I really like this little lite.

Giorgio

So did you buy the Profoto instead or are you still thinking of the Quadra?
I bought the Profoto instead!

I don't like the head the Quadra uses. Elinchrom makes an adapter for Profoto so I am golden regarding modifiers. That and the fact that the Acute B is more robust and adaptable made me choose it.

rem

Giorgo, do you have already the Speedring/Adapter for Elinchrom Softboxes mounting on Profoto? I'm waiting for an adapter to use my Rotalux with the Hensel heads (just bought the Hensel Porty 1200 Lithium). Thanks, rem

Giorgio

Giorgo, do you have already the Speedring/Adapter for Elinchrom Softboxes mounting on Profoto? I'm waiting for an adapter to use my Rotalux with the Hensel heads (just bought the Hensel Porty 1200 Lithium). Thanks, rem
Yes I have the speedring adapter.

Back to the thread, this was about 3 years after I started shooting catalog. A small client said I could show him an alternative to the cover photo he chose. I went straight to the darkroom, made a b/w dup distressed it and printed it on colour paper.

Lighting was daylight ambient one softbox 4x6 to the side one key above and to the left of camera about 2/3 of a stop above daylight. If I remember correctly.

fotografz

So did you buy the Profoto instead or are you still thinking of the Quadra?
Ben, the Quadra is far more suited to weddings and regular mobile portrait work where one man portability and quick set-up is key. The heads are really tiny, so you can literally leave them on the stands. One battery drives two heads so you can do groups with a directional key and fill ... the box is already set up for 1/3-2/3 light output with 2 heads.

For more involved work, more power, and more extensive use of modifiers it is not the best choice. But with other choices comes bigger stuff and more set-up time even with the small Profoto 600B ... which I owned before the Quadra.

I'm currently without a bigger portable battery solution and am waiting to see if more lithium technology makes it's way into separate inverters to drive my Profoto Monos or D4s ... like an update of the Profoto Batpac.

I'm in no hurry, so we'll see what comes next.

-Marc

Giorgio

Ben, the Quadra is far more suited to weddings and regular mobile portrait work where one man portability and quick set-up is key. The heads are really tiny, so you can literally leave them on the stands. One battery drives two heads so you can do groups with a directional key and fill ... the box is already set up for 1/3-2/3 light output with 2 heads.

For more involved work, more power, and more extensive use of modifiers it is not the best choice. But with other choices comes bigger stuff and more set-up time even with the small Profoto 600B ... which I owned before the Quadra.

I'm currently without a bigger portable battery solution and am waiting to see if more lithium technology makes it's way into separate inverters to drive my Profoto Monos or D4s ... like an update of the Profoto Batpac.

I'm in no hurry, so we'll see what comes next.

-Marc
It's a journey, take your path.
BTW the new Acute B is supplied with a LiFe battery (lithium).
So how about getting back to the thread.
This is one speed light gelled to 3200 degrees kelvin bounced off the ceiling.

M

Marcin Harla

Late to this thread.

One from the recent shot (not necessarily the favorite, but one I have available).

-gridded Speedo BD as a main (I love this dish and almost never use my Mola anymore)
-gridded 1x4 strip for fill
-gridded 1x6 strip and gridded 7" reflector from behind

I'm hoping to contribute more to this thread, if only the time permits.

Gotta run

Giorgio

Just checking in before I take off...

This one is gritty, Chef Vincent Nargi at his restaurant in NYC.

I put him in the shade and had one small softbox off camera right on him.

Giorgio

Still waiting ...
One more, NYC Designer Naeem Khan in his showroom. Main light gelled to 3200 degrees K, above and to the right of camera powered way down, daylight from windows spilling in to the background.

Giorgio

Polo Player, on location.

1 & 3 Eli Ranger, set low power, one S head with a Deep Octa front diffusion only. Placed above and camera left. I measured the exterior daylight and tried to match it to my main light.

2 Profoto Acute B one head zoom reflector set wide, 1/3 of one stop over available daylight. No gel, no diffusion. Above camera to the left.