245              420       421       end

Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.244 #1 · p.244 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Elmarit-R 28 v.2 wide open;

@f/5.6

The beauty of Sony A7/R EVF; compose/frame --> select focus point --> zoom to it and presto - all without taking our eye off the viewfinder. Love it!

@f/2

Dec 07, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Greggf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.244 #2 · p.244 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Love the colors and rendering of the Emarit 28 v, especially the second shot above! Was there any lens correction, applied?? And, is it just me, but the Cron 50 doesn't seem to have very much CA at all!! I know it was discussed above(the 28 v2), so I thought, well, lets see where I can find one....Checked the 'Bay, and quickly changed my mind!! Whoa!
Gregg

Dec 07, 2013 at 05:52 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.244 #3 · p.244 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo, I have to compliment your "test" shots. While my brain thinks that my kit could make indistinguishable web-res images, my heart sees your pictures and says that I should get an R28 and A7R so that my images can have more of that character to them. But my eye for shots doesn't have quite the discrimination that yours shows. You've got a great eye for texture and contrast, and for lines that really invite me to feel like I'm in the scene. Kudos.

Post more of your work! That said, if you don't post so many images, my wallet will likely be happier, so do as you please. That goes for everyone else here, too.

Cheers,
Jon

Dec 07, 2013 at 06:46 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.244 #4 · p.244 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

re: moderate telephotos, prime v. zoom

Does anyone have any thoughts on how a zoom handles on a mirrorless body versus a comparable prime? For example, a 180/3.4 v. 80-200/4.

Bill's 180 Summicron made me start thinking about this again: adding a moderate telephoto to my lens lineup. I generally don't shoot over 50mm, but I've been cropping more lately and might benefit from a longer lens. More and more of my shots have also been stabilized with a tripod (or my mini pod, my ball head bolted to a large PVC cap), and I bet that'd be more important to use with longer lenses. Mostly I've been looking at the 90 Elmarit--a poor man's 90AA--but the idea that their size benefit would be obviated by using a tripod means a longer, larger lens might make more sense.

Also, I understand that the "slow telephoto" range is simpler to optically correct than wider lenses. If anyone has thoughts about how Leica performs in this range compared to cheaper alternatives, I'd be happy to hear them. FWIW, I've chosen Leica R as my system of choice so far because of their harmonious rendering (good contrast and resolution with few false colors/shapes) and also tactile feel of operation.

Just thought I'd throw my query out there in case anyone wants to rant on the subject.

Cheers,
Jon

Dec 07, 2013 at 07:11 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.244 #5 · p.244 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

This was taken this evening at about sunset at Lock Ridge Park, Alburtis, PA. Image processed in LR5.3RC.

Rich

Sony A7r Leica R 50mm f2 Summicron, f8?, 0.4 sec

Edited on Dec 07, 2013 at 09:41 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:17 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.244 #6 · p.244 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf wrote:
Love the colors and rendering of the Emarit 28 v, especially the second shot above! Was there any lens correction, applied?? And, is it just me, but the Cron 50 doesn't seem to have very much CA at all!! I know it was discussed above(the 28 v2), so I thought, well, lets see where I can find one....Checked the 'Bay, and quickly changed my mind!! Whoa!
Gregg

Gregg, actually the second image was shot with Summicron-R 50 E55, which I consider, along with other posters here as a great lens and an exceptional value. Agree, Cron-R 50 always appeared to me a supper clear lens when stopped down. I mostly use it, similarly to Summicron-R 35 E55, at f/2.8 - 4/5.6. Considering Summicron-R 50 E55 price and availability I see no reason not to have one.

JonPB wrote:
JaKo, I have to compliment your "test" shots. While my brain thinks that my kit could make indistinguishable web-res images, my heart sees your pictures and says that I should get an R28 and A7R so that my images can have more of that character to them. But my eye for shots doesn't have quite the discrimination that yours shows. You've got a great eye for texture and contrast, and for lines that really invite me to feel like I'm in the scene. Kudos.

Post more of your work! That said, if you don't post so many images, my wallet will
...Show more

Jon, thank you. See, spring time and fall provide great opportunities to capture vivid colours during longer days. In late fall and winter I reside on trickeries by scouting grungy places with urban decay. Not pretty pictures, but good subjects for test captures. That brings colours and punch

As for going after specific lenses to obtain desired effect, well it's not always the case, but I am guilty of it myself and I always blame for it Alex (worldinlens), Michael (zhangyue) and others in this thread and almost everyone in Zeiss thread. And of course my wife blames me, but then again, I tell her to blame Alex, Michael, Manu and others... You know how it goes

Speaking of Elmarit-R 28 v2; perhaps this post may interest you.

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:17 PM
saph
• • • • •
p.244 #7 · p.244 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Christmas lighting at Baltimore's Inner Harbor

Both with the 50mm Summicron f2.

MerryChristmasBoat by maryland_photos, on Flickr

RavenSanta by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:38 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.244 #8 · p.244 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Beautiful images above, Saph!!
Gregg

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.244 #9 · p.244 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg, actually the second image was shot with Summicron-R 50 E55
Looking now, I see that!! There was bright light coming onto my monitor earlier when looking at the image, so I assumed it was the same as the first!! The Cron 50 is fantastic!!
Really enjoying the Elmarit R 90...what beautiful rendering, with great colors! I am finding, that with R glass, I am not doing as much post as i would normally do...The glass renders the image, for the most part(not including user error!!) as the I see it. Very uncanny...or I'm just not used to it! With my previous Zeiss glass, I always had to boost shadow, or dodge somewhere, saturate more or less....not with the R glass!! Is it just me??

Shot from today with the Elmarit 90
Gregg

@f2.8

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:51 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.244 #10 · p.244 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
As for going after specific lenses to obtain desired effect, well it's not always the case, but I am guilty of it myself and I always blame for it Alex (worldinlens), Michael (zhangyue) and others in this thread and almost everyone in Zeiss thread. And of course my wife blames me, but then again, I tell her to blame Alex, Michael, Manu and others... You know how it goes

Hah. I don't think my lady would find blaming any of you good people nearly as satisfying as blaming someone in the room--which usually happens to be me.

That said, I did start my time with Leica due to this thread. The Elmarit 35 ("you can always sell it for little loss if you don't like it") got me hooked, and for the life of me I still can't get it to do anything offensive. So I might be studiously avoiding the Zeiss thread to avoid a repeat of that experience, even though I'm happier with my photo gear now than I ever have been before.

Speaking of Elmarit-R 28 v2; perhaps this post may interest you.

If Nikon started putting modern lens designs into AI-S bodies, I might not have gone to the R system. Mostly, having some problems with my digital kit, I became convinced that anything more than "metal and glass" is unreliable at best and disposable at worst. I know that's irrational, but it is how I feel. Leica R is the most modern yet still manual kit that I could afford, so that's the way I went. And the more I use my 21-35, the less I think of it as a compromise and the more I think of it as a bucket of primes, giving up speed but nothing else to anything other than the likes of your R28 v2 and the Zeiss 21--and to them, for how I shoot these days, it gives up very little. So I truly don't need a new 28mm lens. I am just impressed with the immersiveness of, in particular, your alley shot with the antiques shop on the right.

And I'm trying to distract myself from wanting an A7--with its gadgetry and my ludditity--to plug my wonderful lenses into. What better way to avoid buying one thing than to look at buying another?

Maybe it is time to break out my tripod and go for a night walk. That's the best cure for wanting new stuff: using what's already on hand.

Cheers,
Jon

Dec 08, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.244 #11 · p.244 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Here is a 100% crop of the image that I posted above taken with my A7r and my R Summicron 50mm f2 at about f8:

From above:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/895186/256#11986558

Below is the 100% crop taken near the leaves near the upper right third in the above image;

Rich

Sony A7r Leica R 50mm f2 Summicron, f8?, 0.4 sec, 100% Crop- Pixels

Dec 08, 2013 at 07:58 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.244 #12 · p.244 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
Below is the 100% crop taken near the leaves near the upper right third in the above image;

Rich,

No bearing on prints or real world viewing, but in the 100% view there's background artifacts - sharpening grain would be the best description I can think of. Is this apparent in the Raw file? or is this from Jpeg conversion?

Are you planning to take any images of 'sky lined' leaves/branches/twigs with the A7r + 100 AME?

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.244 #13 · p.244 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Samy, those night shots are nicely done
Gregg, superb bokeh

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.244 #14 · p.244 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Citroën Traction, D700 + R 50 cron :

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.244 #15 · p.244 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Taken on walks in the local woods.

60 ME

35-70/4

60 ME

100 AME

Dec 08, 2013 at 11:10 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.244 #16 · p.244 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon Tainton wrote:
Rich,

No bearing on prints or real world viewing, but in the 100% view there's background artifacts - sharpening grain would be the best description I can think of. Is this apparent in the Raw file? or is this from Jpeg conversion?

Are you planning to take any images of 'sky lined' leaves/branches/twigs with the A7r + 100 AME?

Hi Jon,

All of my posted images had the RAW files worked in LR CS5.3RC then transferred as TIFF files to PS6 and reduced in size and embedded with the copyright notice before they were reduced to JPEG files. Unfortunately, I did not save the original cropped TIFF file of the above 100% crop. I went back to the original TIFF file that I had created and made up another 100% cropped image in the same are of the image and I am presenting it below. Looking at the 200+ MB TIFF I think that the grain is a little tighter and less visible than in the 1st posted 100% Crop. Now looking at the new cropped image, I believe it is also a little finer than the first cropped image.

There may be some artifacts in the great big TIFF file from the original RAW file as a result of the work in LR5.3RC. LR5.3RC is still not the final version of LR and it is possible that it will be improved still more in the future. Additionally, I would not be at all surprised if some of what is seen is as a result of reducing the file in size to a JPEG to upload to the web. Overall, I am quite pleased and amazed at the kind of detail and sharpness that I am seeing from the 36MP Sony A7r files.

As to the question of the "Sky Lined" images of leaves/branches/twigs with the A7r and the 100 AME, I hadn't thought of it. But I do already have the images below showing a 100% crop.

Rich

Sony A7r Leica R 50mm f2 Summicron, f8?, 0.4 sec, 100% 2nd Crop- Pixels

Sony A7r, Leica R 100mm f2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit, f5.6, 1/3 sec.

Sony A7r Leica R 100mmf2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit, f5.6, 1/3 sec., 100% Crop- Actual Pixels

Edited on Dec 08, 2013 at 12:12 PM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.244 #17 · p.244 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Ltz...BEAUTIFUL shot of the Citroen!! The blacks draw me in!!! Wow!
@Jon...really like the second shot with the 35-70! It feels like it belongs on a wall!
Gregg

Dec 08, 2013 at 11:56 AM
saph
• • • • •
p.244 #18 · p.244 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thanks Gregg.

Jon, several of those woods images are exceptional, they look almost magical. Richard, nice sharp leaves!

The frontal view of the Citroen is superb Philippe! Beautifully taken and processed.

Here's one more from the Christmas lit boats at Baltimore's Inner Harbor yesterday.

SleighParty by maryland_photos, on Flickr

50mm Summicron-R.

Dec 08, 2013 at 12:09 PM
nicoimages
• •
p.244 #19 · p.244 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Sony A7R with Leica R 28mm f2.8 V2

First three images are at f5.6 all others at f2.8

Originals on http://www.flickr.com/photos/nico1974 my portofolio site http://nicoimages.com

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.244 #20 · p.244 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Rich, thanks for the reply, much appreciated. The 'artifacts' probably are due to the file conversions and downsizing.

Ah, I've been wondering how the A7r sensor performs, your uploads do indeed show detail and sharpness, but a real torture test for a lens/sensor are 'sky lined' leaves/branches, ref attached screenshot of a crop from the top of a woodland image @300% to exaggerate the 'colour fringing' of the vario elmar 21-35/3.5-4 at 21mm, the sky was overcast, this sort of heterogeneous 'colour fringing' is a PITA to deal with.

IIRC I've read that there's some speculation some cameras clean up 'colour fringing' in-camera and this shows as branches/leaves with anomalous colour and/or detail. The 100 AME is not quite immune to 'colour fringing' but it is the best lens I've encountered, to date on the 1DS3. It might be worth taking photos with the A7r + 100 AME of twigs/branches/leaves against a sky?

FM's Toothwalker has an article on 'fringing' and see the last paragraph for a discussion on sensor or lens/sensor combo being the cause. Link http://toothwalker.org/optics/chromatic.html

BTW, recent landscape images made with the vario elmar 21-35, that included snow and rock and hills outlined against mist/grey skies gave only minor colour fringing that cleared up OK in Aperture, the screenshot of woodland below doesn't clear up.

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Jon,

All of my posted images had the RAW files worked in LR CS5.3RC then transferred as TIFF files to PS6 and reduced in size and embedded with the copyright notice before they were reduced to JPEG files. Unfortunately, I did not save the original cropped TIFF file of the above 100% crop. I went back to the original TIFF file that I had created and made up another 100% cropped image in the same are of the image and I am presenting it below. Looking at the 200+ MB TIFF I think that the grain is a little tighter
...Show more

Colour fringing 21-35/3.5-4 and 1DS3 @ 300% screen shot

Dec 08, 2013 at 02:33 PM
1       2       3              243      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              243      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.