FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              169      
       171              420       421       end

Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.170 #1 · p.170 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue, congratulations on Summilux-R 80! Surely it complements you style I am sure it will server your portraiture well.

Now, you're not making things easy for me with your statements about fast 85mm!
I nearly committed myself to Zeiss 1.4/85 and now I have to revise my take on it.
I don't shot portraits but I like to bridge a gap between my 50mm and 100mm, especially after seeing few recent Scandinavian posters images. Zeiss 1.4/85 may be a better choice for my needs, but Summilux-R 80 (and most of lux-r!) will be out of reach & availability in near future, so it's a tough call. What makes more difficult is the fact that a mint condition lux-r come at hefty price (BTW, Paul Yi, pass on the scratch glass! Elmarit-R 28 will be your keeper, so better get a keeper sample!)
Anyhow, I have a feeling I will join you soon in compering Lux-R 80 shots

PS.
One of the reasons I still cling to Zeiss is the fear of Zeiss new 'look' Damn, I hate that new 1.4/55 'modern' look! If I want Sigma-like look, I get Sigma, but it seems that new Zeiss just like the other hoard will not have aperture rings for use on SLR gear. Bummer and shame as Zeiss along with Leica were the sexiest looking glass out there.

Looking forward to see more samples from your new toy and perhaps few shots stopped down at mid-infinity distance if you don’t mind.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:18 AM

p.170 #2 · p.170 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

j.liam wrote:
What problems have you heard with the earlier ones?

One of my friends bought the 366 and it was with "tilt-shift"-effect inside lenses unit. But no present the signs of disassembling. And seems that the first releases had a not-final coatings, but I'm not sure on 100% at this, beacose I had personally 370 and 377 lenses only.

Just for information. This is all from my mind when I saw a few shots from that lenses, but I'm not shoted myself and don't know the real reasons and issues.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:57 AM

p.170 #3 · p.170 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Paul Yi wrote:
This is how the front element looks like....

Maybe better to look another lens?

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:04 AM
evr1n

p.170 #4 · p.170 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
excellent images. evr1n.

Thank you zhangyue!
Few more with Leica Summicron 50mm f2 v.1

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:31 AM
leonasj
• • •
p.170 #5 · p.170 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

D800E+APO 100macro2.8@ f/11 at 20sec iso100

© leonasj 2012

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:54 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.170 #6 · p.170 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

j.liam wrote:
I thought, aside form updated coating that are to be expected, all possess the same optical formula. I have a 366xxxx and cannot detect a deficiency in rendering

Here's what Puts has to say... "This Elmarit-R lens from 1994 is an improvement over the predecessor from 1970 by two stops. That is a quantum leap. The design is clearly retrofocus with a negative front element and the thick central element. When you want to study the design it is best to compare it with a symmetrical wide angle lens and note that the central group has the same role and function." You can download the article here.

Your 366xxxx lens was produced in 1994, if the serial numbers in Puts Pocket Pod are correct, so I don't think there is a difference. It seems to me the questionable ones would be 3624801 through 3625300, which were produced in 1993 and had a catalog number of 11 259.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.170 #7 · p.170 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

D800E + Leica APO-Summicron 180/2, wide open I believe

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:55 AM
leonasj
• • •
p.170 #8 · p.170 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

seems like from iphone photo
Mar 30, 2013 at 02:49 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.170 #9 · p.170 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Sure, to the extent that the iPhone is able to make telephoto shots with low depth of field In other words, not at all.

Lee, very nice shot, but the sharpening feels quite crunchy. How do you do that part?

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:17 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.170 #10 · p.170 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
zhangyue, congratulations on Summilux-R 80! Surely it complements you style I am sure it will server your portraiture well.

Now, you're not making things easy for me with your statements about fast 85mm!

It certainly does. I removed my statement about compare to other fast 85mm, as I feel it is might be too subjective. but it is stay true in my mind, as I mainly use this lens for my 'people/family'. it seems I acquire many Leica R lens at fast rate, but I have specific need and requirement for what I seek from the lens I purchase. and out of three Summilux R, this is the only one I have no desire to improve anything.

I remember there is thread about which Leica Lens people like most over LUF a while back, It was a surprise that I found 75lux got mentioned so many time, even more than 50lux ASPH, now I can understand the hype.

JaKo wrote:
I nearly committed myself to Zeiss 1.4/85 and now I have to revise my take on it.
I don't shot portraits but I like to bridge a gap between my 50mm and 100mm, especially after seeing few recent Scandinavian posters images. Zeiss 1.4/85 may be a better choice for my needs, but Summilux-R 80 (and most of lux-r!) will be out of reach & availability in near future, so it's a tough call. What makes more difficult is the fact that a mint condition lux-r come at hefty price.
Anyhow, I have a feeling I will join you soon in compering
...Show more

Having investment value is cherry on the top, but don't let it make the decision. Zeiss 85 is great lens, still be. For $800 used, it is a bargain. If I want another one in the same focal length, it will be the one. Who knows, once I switch to C side, I will get p85 and Planar 50 again. Doing A/B test is hard to tell the difference, but browse images in my LR catalog, I can still see Zeiss's merit and rendering difference overall and I miss that, I 'd like to have more choice if I can.

By inspect images, I feel 80lux and Planar 85 is about same sharpness at 1.4 if not with edge to Zeiss for detail. But Zeiss doesn't have the 80lux close distance shallow DOF quality I see. the subtle differences are more to my eyes than others. They are for my own enjoyment and satisfaction, and I feel it helps me to achieve the results I want.

Which bring another interesting point: only you will know what you need, but until you try it. if it is not for you , sell it, move on. before this purchase, I thought I might not feel special as it is expensive and just sell it if it is just a hype. Some people said it's hype, some people said WO is soft, some people said is over priced, some even say it is no good compare to Samyang...But, no, it is not. It is climb to my favorite lens within short period of ownership, that is enough.

JaKo wrote:
PS.
One of the reasons I still cling to Zeiss is the fear of Zeiss new 'look' Damn, I hate that new 1.4/55 'modern' look! If I want Sigma-like look, I get Sigma, but it seems that new Zeiss just like the other hoard will not have aperture rings for use on SLR gear. Bummer and shame as Zeiss along with Leica were the sexiest looking glass out there.

Looking forward to see more samples from your new toy and perhaps few shots stopped down at mid-infinity distance if you don’t mind.

Fully agree with 'new style' of Zeiss. It is good match for NEX as I feel it is gonna lighter, and more bump resistant, but nothing beat cold, hard metal feeling

I will shoot some Landscape type of shot later on, but don't account my results for your decision From MTF, it will be great.

50lux WO from last weekend

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Almass
• • •
p.170 #11 · p.170 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
It certainly does. I removed my statement about compare to other fast 85mm, as I feel it is might be too subjective....

By inspect images, I feel 80lux and Planar 85 is about same sharpness at 1.4 if not with edge to Zeiss for detail.

1- Good thing you removed your statement on the other 85mm as it was not as much subjective as pompous.

2- You are making a statement of comparison between the Lux 80 and the Planar 85.
As you only have recently acquired the Lux 80, should we understand that your observation is by looking at totally different pictures taken by each lens?
In which case your statement is entirely coincidental and not a true representation of the Lux 80 vs the Zeiss 85!

I would understand if you are making such a statement when both lenses were shot side by side under same condition. But it is not!

3- You mention that the last pics are with the Lux 50. For clarification purpose, which Lux 50 is it?
Should we assume it is the Lux 50 E60?

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:57 AM
alwang
• • •
p.170 #12 · p.170 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
It certainly does. I removed my statement about compare to other fast 85mm, as I feel it is might be too subjective. but it is stay true in my mind, as I mainly use this lens for my 'people/family'. it seems I acquire many Leica R lens at fast rate, but I have specific need and requirement for what I seek from the lens I purchase. and out of three Summilux R, this is the only one I have no desire to improve anything.

I remember there is thread about which Leica Lens people like most over LUF a while
...Show more

Those 80 Lux shots do look great: they remind me a lot of the Minolta 85/1.4G. Who knows, there may have been collaboration, given the Minolta/Leica partnerships at the time.

50lux WO from last weekend

Also great! Looks like New Haven station?

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:38 AM
daleaherman
• •
p.170 #13 · p.170 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

First shots using the leitaxed 100APO and the D800e

DSC_4535 by AustinIsWeird, on Flickr

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:47 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.170 #14 · p.170 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
Lee, very nice shot, but the sharpening feels quite crunchy. How do you do that part?

Had very light ACR sharpening on. I re-uploaded the photo, it now has none. I can't tell the difference at this size, though. *shrug*

I think it's mainly from the massive downsampling?

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.170 #15 · p.170 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Almass wrote:
1- Good thing you removed your statement on the other 85mm as it was not as much subjective as pompous.

2- You are making a statement of comparison between the Lux 80 and the Planar 85.
As you only have recently acquired the Lux 80, should we understand that your observation is by looking at totally different pictures taken by each lens?
In which case your statement is entirely coincidental and not a true representation of the Lux 80 vs the Zeiss 85!

I would understand if you are making such a statement when both lenses were shot side by side under
...Show more

I don't have 50lux E60. I think I have been contribute this thread with enough 50lux V1 shots so I forget mention that, for sure if I have E60, I will mention it.

As for lens rendering, sharpness difference. Once you shoot enough pictures, and process them, viewing them 100%, there is really zero need to do side by side comparison for myself to draw such a conclusion. It is not a single picture comparison, but thousands from Zeiss, Nikkor and hundreds from Leica. Plus, the results is only relevant to myself. you certainly entitle to disagree judge from their pictures.

and I will repeat what I reply to Jako:

the subtle differences are more to my eyes than others. They are for my own enjoyment and satisfaction, and I feel it helps me to achieve the results I want.

Enough said.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.170 #16 · p.170 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Lee Saxon wrote:
Had very light ACR sharpening on. I re-uploaded the photo, it now has none. I can't tell the difference at this size, though. *shrug*

I think it's mainly from the massive downsampling?

How do you downsample? Some algorithms attempt sharpening in the downsampling routine, which is often not all that satisfactory for ultimate results. The most effective is neutral downsampling and careful sharpening, even in multiple steps if you have the patience.

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.170 #17 · p.170 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Summicron 35 ROM....

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.170 #18 · p.170 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
How do you downsample? Some algorithms attempt sharpening in the downsampling routine, which is often not all that satisfactory for ultimate results. The most effective is neutral downsampling and careful sharpening, even in multiple steps if you have the patience.

I believe the problem was PS CS6's default resampling algorithm, Bicubic Automatic. I changed to standard Bicubic and got much less spurious detail and smoother tonality.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:25 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.170 #19 · p.170 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Ah, yeah, that one is a bit harsh. I don't know why that is the default. I think Auto = Sharper. This can be set in the settings to plain Bicubic.

Mar 30, 2013 at 08:23 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.170 #20 · p.170 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

alwang wrote:
Those 80 Lux shots do look great: they remind me a lot of the Minolta 85/1.4G. Who knows, there may have been collaboration, given the Minolta/Leica partnerships at the time.

Also great! Looks like New Haven station?

Alwang, thanks for comments.yes,I definitely seeing Minolta & leica similarity cross the focal length.
It is San Jose train station, myson has beg us taking him to train for a while, and that is his first time.

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:03 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.