1       2       3              126      
       128              420       421       end

Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.127 #1 · p.127 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
Somewhat surprisingly. Because E48 is even more sharp in the center than E55. But even a E55 a bit sharper than Zeiss

I was puzzled by that too. I had to take few test shots to confirm it (MUP, remote release, LV, magnified to max + 10x magnifying loupe, etc.)
Not that Zeiss is not sharp (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/860134/796#11176557); some Leica lenses are just surprisingly sharp. Mind you, with no surprise Zeiss MP50 is much sharper than my Summicron-R 50 E55.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:59 AM

p.127 #2 · p.127 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Today with R180/2.8...

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:35 AM
robsteve
• • •
p.127 #3 · p.127 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
Hi, Rob,

Thanks for info. That is a private sale. He ask $1800 for 80-200 with OBM in mint condition. I guess it is not that great price. Do you know if it can be adapt to Nikon use?
I know 21-35 can be adapt to Canon 5DII use, also miss the 21mm end. Do I need special converter for 21-35? or just regular Leitax R to N will do.

Thanks.

I am not quite up on all the terms. What does OBM mean?

To use a Nikon mount on the 21-35mm, you need to machine out a spot on the back of the mount for the ribbon cable of the ROM or take the lens apart and remove the ROM. I left the ROM and used a dremel tool to remove some material on the back of the mount so the ribbon cable can stay. The Leica mount has an area machined out here too.

Dec 09, 2012 at 09:37 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.127 #4 · p.127 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

robsteve wrote:
I am not quite up on all the terms. What does OBM mean?

To use a Nikon mount on the 21-35mm, you need to machine out a spot on the back of the mount for the ribbon cable of the ROM or take the lens apart and remove the ROM. I left the ROM and used a dremel tool to remove some material on the back of the mount so the ribbon cable can stay. The Leica mount has an area machined out here too.

Rob,

OBM is original box and manual.

Rich

Dec 09, 2012 at 09:43 AM
robsteve
• • •
p.127 #5 · p.127 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
Rob,

OBM is original box and manual.

Rich

Thanks Rich; I have a whole closet full of those

I wasn't sure if he meant Olympus Bayonet mount.

Dec 09, 2012 at 10:30 AM
robsteve
• • •
p.127 #6 · p.127 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

chadlanc wrote:
I've got the 21-35, 35-70/2.8, and soon the 15/2.8 for my Red Epic. They all work wonderfully.

Do you have the 19mm yet? I shot the 15mm years ago on a trip and it was a pretty stunning lens, but big and very expensive. On the DMR and the RED you are cropping so not really seeing the full capabilities of the lens. Guy Mancuso had a few shots done with it on a full frame Canon and they were pretty impressive.

A funny story on the RED and Leica lenses. I just sold my 35-70mm to a RED user that Chad referred to me. Then a few nights ago I see my neighbor getting out of his car with a Pelican case. I asked him what was in the case, he said his camera. Last time I saw him with a camera I think it was a Nikon, so I asked what do you have in the case, thinking a Pelican is overkill for a Nikon. He said RED Scarlet! Next nice day we have I will let him try some of my nicer Leica lenses on his RED.

Dec 09, 2012 at 10:38 AM
robsteve
• • •
p.127 #7 · p.127 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

I was out for a walk with the kids today and shot this with the 21-35mm at 21mm. I used the Lightroom lens profiles to process the DNG. I think I was at f8, hand held.

For the pixel peepers, here is a crop at 100%.

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:56 PM
chadlanc

p.127 #8 · p.127 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

I haven't tried the 15mm personally but have seen examples from fellow Epic users. With the current Mysterium MX sensor size its not utilizing the full image circle of that lens but the Dragon sensor upgrade next year will get it closer to a full frame size. For what I'm shooting I need the extra wide compared to the 19mm. Good to hear you got the 35-70 sold, definitely not cheep but a killer lens. I considered selling mine to go to the f4 version but I'm often shooting in low light and f2.8 is worth the extra cost. Tell your neighbor congrats, the Red cameras all make amazing images. I'll post some frame grabs soon from our first shoot on our film "The Southwest: A Visual Journey"

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:06 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.127 #9 · p.127 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

chadlanc wrote:
I haven't tried the 15mm personally but have seen examples from fellow Epic users. With the current Mysterium MX sensor size its not utilizing the full image circle of that lens but the Dragon sensor upgrade next year will get it closer to a full frame size. For what I'm shooting I need the extra wide compared to the 19mm. Good to hear you got the 35-70 sold, definitely not cheep but a killer lens. I considered selling mine to go to the f4 version but I'm often shooting in low light and f2.8 is worth the extra cost. Tell
...Show more

The f2.8 35-70mm has that little bit extra that the f4 version doesn't have. I owned both at the same time and settled on the 2.8 version. There are certain lenses that even on film, you could look at the negatives or slides and the images just popped at you. The 19mm is one, the 35-70mm is another and probably the 180mm and 90mm APO Summicrons.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:40 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.127 #10 · p.127 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
Somewhat surprisingly. Because E48 is even more sharp in the center than E55. But even a E55 a bit sharper than Zeiss

I have the E48 version which dated 1972, and like it a lot. The E48 version is based on a complex design (9 elements) which shows Leica's effort on their early SLR camera. Others like 50 Lux E48 is very good, too. Even some of today's lenses are not better than those. Last year, I sent them back to Solms for CLA, but the service charge is just way too high (more than what I paid for). Finally, I found a local shop who can do it for much less.

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JaKo
• • • •
p.127 #11 · p.127 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

phuang3 wrote: Even some of today's lenses are not better than those.

They certainly can have very pleasing look…

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:44 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.127 #12 · p.127 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

More from Summicron-R 50 at MFD

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:46 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.127 #13 · p.127 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

robsteve wrote:

I was out for a walk with the kids today and shot this with the 21-35mm at 21mm. I used the Lightroom lens profiles to process the DNG. I think I was at f8, hand held.

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/2/21-35mm_dsc8281-edit.jpg

Thats interesting. I think Im seeing color shift on that wall.

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:59 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.127 #14 · p.127 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

There is no shift in the sky in the corner, so the shift in the wall may just be a lighting thing. Could also just be the paint.

It could also be a colour vignette correction introduced by Lightroom when I chose corrections for the 21-35m.

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:14 PM

p.127 #15 · p.127 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

A small comparison between R50/1.4E55 and R50/1.4E60

You can by yourself to download the archive with two RAW files and draw conclusions

http://webfile.ru/6262148

Dec 11, 2012 at 07:37 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.127 #16 · p.127 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

couple of shots with the 350/4.8. both are wide open and the first is a heavy crop:

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:30 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.127 #17 · p.127 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

I dropped by Leica USA yesterday. Though the real expert was not in, the other Leica repairman and Justin Stailey looked at my f4 280mm Apo Telyt lens that had come in. They indicated that there was no fungus or any issue with the lens. There was only some dust inside that would not have any affect on the lens performance. The lens is in fine optical and mechanical order and should provide me with outstanding performance. So, I will be keeping this lens. Overall the lens glass is mint and I would rate the cosmetics as approaching M-.

Additionally, my M/M- f4 80-200mm Vario Elmar lens arrived earlier today. I would say from initial inspection that the lens may well be in M condition. Not quite as smooth on the zoom as it could be, but certainly quite acceptable. Focus is quite smooth. I will have to run a digital imaging check on this lens.

If people want me to post photos of all of my Apo R lenses and both new lenses I will. But, I have to take some photos of the equipment first.

Rich

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.127 #18 · p.127 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

I am always a sucker for a photo of a beautiful lens

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:18 PM
Almass
• • •
p.127 #19 · p.127 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Rich

All well which ends well.

I suppose it was a bit of a gamble with the APO 280/4 and the seller got worried of all the moldy smell which might have affected the lens optics hence the good price accepted.
Enjoy your new found love.

What I did not tell you about the Bicarb v Thyme, is that the Bicarb suppress the odor while Thyme disguise the odor.

By all means, do post shots "with" the lens and "of" the lens and all the "other" lenses as well.
I personally would be curious to see your Leica R line up and compare it with my own line up for ego flattering objective

Post away.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:10 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.127 #20 · p.127 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Almass wrote:
Rich

All well which ends well.

I suppose it was a bit of a gamble with the APO 280/4 and the seller got worried of all the moldy smell which might have affected the lens optics hence the good price accepted.
Enjoy your new found love.

What I did not tell you about the Bicarb v Thyme, is that the Bicarb suppress the odor while Thyme disguise the odor.

By all means, do post shots "with" the lens and "of" the lens and all the "other" lenses as well.
I personally would be curious to see your Leica R line up and compare it with my
...Show more

Almass,

Thank you. I used a 15W BLB UV lamp that I shined through the f4 280mm Apo Telyt lens for 4 hours. I used the Thyme in part as a killing agent for any mold. In the future I may use the Sodium Bicarbonate to try to remove any odor. But, the lens doesn't/didn't smell too bad by the way. I do not really think that I was able to get a particularly low price for the lens, but they are scarce and the pricing is certainly on the rise. The one that supposed sold for $7,000 by National Camera though appeared to be high.

I will start with posting the photo below of my equipment prior to my acquisition of the f4 280mm Apo Telyt and my f4 80-280mm Vario Elmar lenses. In the photo I found that after moving the equipment around that my Macro Adapter R was no longer visible. It is behind the 60mm f2.8 Macro Elmarit. The 50mm Summicron and the 35mm Summicron in the photo are at Leica USA right now for removing some haze and I should have them back around January 7. Unfortunately my 90mm Sumicron lens (also in the photo) not only had haze but also some pitting. We decided to not do the work on this lens because I have the better f2.8 100mm Macro Apo Elmarit (also in the photo).

I will take photos later today of the new equipment as well as all of my Apo lenses (including both 100mm Apo lenses side by side), all of my zoom lenses, etc. At this point I have 3 zooms (only 2 in the photo and just received the f4 80-200mm Vario Elmar); in the photo here and what you will see the one of the coming photos that I had Leica remove the hood for the f4 70-210mm Vario Elmar lens. This was done because the hood interfered with using polarizing filters, square, and rectangular filters including Grad filters. Since moving I have misplaced the hood, but I screw in a 60 to 62mm Heliopan adapter ring and an old Nikon hood that fits the lens.

I will post the other photos after they are completed.

Rich

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:27 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.